News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-13, 05:43 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Official Spurs at Pistons Game Thread (Fri 6:30)

6:30 PM
TV: FSN

San Antonio (39 - 11)

at

Detroit (18 - 32)

Spurs-Pistons Preview

By JORDAN GARRETSON
STATS Writer

(AP) -- Although Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili have missed the majority of San Antonio's last 11 games, the Spurs have managed to win each one thanks to the strong play of Tony Parker and the supporting cast.

It certainly seems like the Spurs should be able to keep their win streak intact Friday night, when they visit the struggling Detroit Pistons.

The Spurs own the NBA's best record at 39-11 and are currently riding the 14th double-digit winning streak of coach Gregg Popovich's tenure. It's come despite Duncan (sprained left knee) missing six of the last eight games and Ginobili (hamstring) sidelined for six of 10. Both have played in the same game just once during the streak - the first win - and are listed as day-to-day for Friday.

Parker has simply continued to play some of the best basketball of his career, and has been particularly effective over the winning streak, averaging 23.2 points on 58.3 percent shooting with 9.3 assists. He scored 31 and added eight assists in a 104-94 win at Minnesota on Wednesday, the opener of a season-high nine-game road trip.

"We've gotten used to playing without them," said Parker, whose averages of 20.3 points, 7.6 assists and 53.2 field goal percentage are all the second-highest marks of his career. "Obviously I'd rather have them because it would be a lot easier to have Timmy and Manu, but it definitely helps the other guys."

Danny Green, who knocked down eight 3-pointers on the way to a career-high 28 points against the Timberwolves, is hitting 44.4 percent of his shots from long distance during the winning streak. Kawhi Leonard added 19 points and 10 rebounds Wednesday for his second straight double-double.

"The system doesn't change when guys are out," Popovich said. "If Tony was out, somebody else would play. We just run the same stuff, we don't change anything. I think they're pretty used to the execution no matter who's on the court."

Detroit (18-32) has lost seven of nine, with three of those defeats coming by three points or fewer. The latest was a 93-90 home loss to Brooklyn on Wednesday.

Greg Monroe cut the Nets' lead to one with 10.4 seconds left, but Joe Johnson hit free throws after the Pistons' ensuing foul. Will Bynum's potential game-tying 3-pointer in the final moments came up short, resulting in the Pistons' sixth loss in nine games at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Detroit suffered a 98-97 loss to the Los Angeles Lakers three days earlier in a game they could have won on the final possession.

"There were many opportunities and controlled situations and we didn't do a very good job," coach Lawrence Frank said. "All those things add up. We had opportunities at the rim and didn't convert."

The Pistons were also plagued by yet another poor 3-point shooting performance, going 3 of 17. They're shooting just 28.9 percent from beyond the arc over the last nine games.
These teams haven't met since San Antonio's 99-95 win at Detroit last February, the Spurs' fifth victory in the last six matchups.
Old 02-07-13, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Detroit will be motivated and ready for the Spurs having lost 2 close games and now face the "best" team in the league. TD will play sparingly I think and the Spurs will win close - 101-97.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-13, 07:13 AM
SR Team Goof

Even though Detroit has an 18-32 record and have won only 3 games outside the Eastern Conference, they still scare me. They are transitioning, with the trade loss of Tayshaun Prince to Memphis and picking up Jose Calderon from Toronto, which makes them a little suspect. We’re going to miss Duncan’s defense and rebounding since Detroit does sport a frontline of Monroe, Drummond, Maxiell and Villanueva who hit the bounds hard. I feel if we can stay away from one-on-ones, rotate the ball, play good help defense and limit turnovers, we can come through with a win. But I think it will be a close game all the way to the finish.

Spurs…….94
Pistons…..88
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-08-13, 08:20 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I feel a let down/trap game coming.....hopefully I'm wrong
Old 02-08-13, 09:25 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 98
Pistons 97
Old 02-08-13, 09:46 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Manu: My hammy is feeling much better...just saying...
Old 02-08-13, 02:28 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

@ Eddy

FREE Manu!!!!

Tough & Very Physical Game!

Nail Biter - Close game!

Spurs Come STRONG as a TEAM and Gang Rebound and Gang Defend!!!!

All Spurs stay AGGRESSIVE on both ends and never let down as they continue to carry over that Winning Mentality on the Road and remain Sharp & FOCUSED!

Go GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN from Downtown!

Spurs Win in Detroit!

Spurs TEAM 91
Pistons 88

Go Spurs Go
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 02-08-13, 05:58 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

@ Eddy...

no Manu... just sit there and get better...

Spurs 108
Pistons 100

Old 02-08-13, 09:29 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Sometimes I really hate being right
Old 02-08-13, 10:35 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post

Old 02-09-13, 01:44 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I always hate being right! If I am right though on the winning tip not so much, but when you have a feeling and know it's a bad or trap game and you are right you hate it! I have had a few of those! Some said to shut up or think positive lol, but I had a feeling tonight this one was bad too before it happened.

82 game season, every team has nights like this where some are out and lose games and thats the law of averages! NOW LETS go out there and win 10 straight again :applause
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.