News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 02-05-13, 08:18 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Tiago Getting Paid Next Year

Let the speculation begin - in today's EN -"By Jeff McDonald Spurs center Tiago Splitter tries hard not to think about the money. This, he acknowledges, can often be easier said than done.
His value boosted by a breakout third NBA season, in a league not exactly known for restraint when it comes to throwing big dollars at tall people, Splitter is poised to enter free agency this summer holding a lottery ticket all but guaranteed to hit the jackpot.
So yes, Splitter admits, sometimes he does think about the money."

Spurs Nation

He mentions that four other players (Manu Ginobili, Stephen Jackson, Gary Neal and DeJuan Blair) also will become free agents - I can see Manu either retiring or taking a two year for a lot less, SJax being sent packing especially if he thinks he should be paid more than 2-3 million, Neal and Blair being traded.

Personally, I don't think he's going anywhere and he'll get a real nice contract from the Spurs
Old 02-05-13, 09:09 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I can't see Manu retiring just yet, but I agree with the less money thing. Now it is time for Tony Parker to be the highest paid player on the team.
Old 02-05-13, 09:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Our off season moves:
Resign with Manu for 3 years 18 M.
Resign with S-Jax for 3 years 10 M.
Resign with Tiago for 4 years 30 M.

(Add 3M to each if we would win the championship)
Old 02-05-13, 09:34 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

At their ages, I can't see signing Manu and SJax for three years,maybe two.
Old 02-05-13, 09:42 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
...Spurs center Tiago Splitter tries hard not to think about the money. This, he acknowledges, can often be easier said than done.......
If a guy is single and rolling on his own, this could be true. But if he has a family, he thinks about the money. And I think Michael, you're spot on about you predictions here about the Spurs.
Old 02-05-13, 09:52 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Tiago, Kawhi and possibly Danny Green are pretty much the "must haves" as the Spurs move forward. Blair seems to be a gone goose, and Neal's skills as a gunner can be replaced.

Manu and SJax are the big questions. Both are important pieces right now, but each faces diminishing skills and longer injury stretches. Manu is here for as long as he wants, but the TD pay cut on his latest contract should set the tone for these two as they negotiate new deals.

It'll be interesting to see how the Spurs eventually handle Joseph and Mills.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-13, 10:31 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
....It'll be interesting to see how the Spurs eventually handle Joseph and Mills.
I'd venture to say their names have come up on occasion or two with the trading deadline quickly approaching, particularly if our opponents have had a starting PG go down during the year and they are playoff eligible.
Old 02-05-13, 12:17 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuncaboylu View Post
Our off season moves:

3 years for Manu at 6 million per? no thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-05-13, 02:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
When Manu's healthy he's easily worth twice that. This year he's played about 2/3 of the minutes Parker has. A salary of half Parker's ($6M) with a partially guaranteed 3rd year seems about right to me.
Old 02-05-13, 03:34 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Agreed. Too much for an injury prone guy. Manu's market value is not at that level. Not a popular stance on this board but where else can Manu go where he will get a 3yr deal for $18 million. I just don't see it.
Old 02-05-13, 05:40 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I expect Adam Hanga to be in camp this fall which should eventually take some sting out of Manu's health issues under a lesser contract.

If DeColo brings some outside shooting to camp this fall, we could see him being groomed for backup PG. Otherwise Mills and/or Joseph may still be on the table.

Splitter will be re-signed. The Spurs knew this day was coming when they acquired him.

Stephen Jackson is the one I find questionable. We see teams like OKC and Memphis having to give up quality players. Does that happen to the Spurs? We know he wants to be here and he's tired of being shipped around the League and we know what attitude he brings. I would miss him if terms can't be reached.
Old 02-05-13, 06:37 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I expect Adam Hanga to be in camp this fall which should eventually take some sting out of Manu's health issues under a lesser contract........
I had completely forgotten about Hanga. And with that said, do we know what the status of the two players we received rights to in the Hill/Leonard trade --- Erazem Lorbek (6'10") and Davis Bertans (6'10")? Do we know if they are viable options in the future or are they projects that require further Euro experience before we even discuss bringing them in?
Old 02-05-13, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I had completely forgotten about Hanga. And with that said, do we know what the status of the two players we received rights to in the Hill/Leonard trade --- Erazem Lorbek (6'10") and Davis Bertans (6'10")? Do we know if they are viable options in the future or are they projects that require further Euro experience before we even discuss bringing them in?
I can't imagine either one ever being a Spur. Lorbek seems to have no passion to play in the NBA and Bertrans appears to be a one dimensional outside shooter. Maybe Bertran's rights can be used in a trade to a team that likes that sort of thing.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 02-05-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-05-13, 07:25 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

Well sad that teams will throw big money at the big guys and inflate their value. Anyway I'm sure the Spurs will come out ok as they still are the preferred team to play for.
Old 02-05-13, 07:27 PM

for anyone who thinks Splitter will be re-signed and for cheap:

you're dead wrong.

he's a restricted free agent, meaning if a team offers him $8+ million a year for multiple years, we're not matching. no way is Splitter staying next year, not a chance in hell. some bad team is going to offer him a boatload or at least an insane amount for him. his minimum price is around $5 mill anyway, i doubt he wants $2-3 mill over that.
Old 02-05-13, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Our off season moves:

gosh no. no offense, but that's horrible general managing. we'd be keeping Manu until he's 38-39?

this is more feasible:

Manu: 2 years, $10 million total (2nd year not fully guaranteed)
Jackson: 2 years, $8 million

Splitter will most likely get offered $8-10 million a year for around 3-4 years in an offer sheet and he'll take it. no way SA keeps him.

if anyone thinks Splitter is a "for sure lock", then Aron Baynes must not exist. he's signed cheap for the next 1-2 years for the minimum. also, the "he's new" or "he hasn't proven himself yet", he'll probably do the same thing Splitter is doing and come out of his shell in his contract year to get his change.
Old 02-05-13, 10:29 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

With the salaries of Andrew Bynum, Pao Gasol and Dwight Howard, 8-10 mil may be the going rate for Tiago Splitter. I don't see how adding Baynes replaces Splitter but maybe so. I see Baynes as a replacement, but not for Splitter.
Old 02-05-13, 11:09 PM

Quote:
With the salaries of Andrew Bynum, Pao Gasol and Dwight Howard, 8-10 mil may be the going rate for Tiago Splitter. I don't see how adding Baynes replaces Splitter but maybe so. I see Baynes as a replacement, but not for Splitter.
i think he's going to be the "insurance policy" where they don't have to overpay for Splitter. if Baynes wasn't on the team for more than this year, SA would be forced to overpay to keep Tiago
Old 02-06-13, 12:51 AM
The Master Baiter

I don't believe in paying a player a big contract after they finally perform well in their contract year. There will always be a chump that will overpay, which is why Jose's right. Tiago will most likely be gone unless he just simply wants to be Spur no matter what. Can the Spurs offer him an extension and not deal with restricted free agency?

I think Manu will retire a Spur, and they will probably overpay him at 5-6 million. Sjax has been jonesing for an extension of some sort, and even mentioned it after he became a Spur. I've got doubts about him accepting 2-3 million a year. I've been saying it all along, I would trade him this season. His worth on the team is overrated and he has more value as a trade piece.
Old 02-06-13, 02:24 AM
There is only 1 Ginobili!

Can't the Spurs head everyone off the pass and offer Tiago a contract before the FA period?

I mean, when Manu was being courted by Denver in 2004, he just told them,"No thanks."
6 Years starting at $9 Million per but the trick to the offer is that Manu had to sign it but he never signed his. He just took the offer that the Spurs gave him. 6 years between $50 Million and $55 Million.

The earliest Manu could sign any extension would be April 2013.

I think Tiago goes the Manu route and he goes around the same since the NBA is more fiscal now.

New CBA rules dictate:
• 2011 CBA: Players coming off their rookie scale contracts can extend for four additional seasons, although the team can designate one player who is eligible for five seasons at the maximum salary. A team can have only one designated player on its roster at any time. All other veterans can extend for four total seasons, which includes the seasons remaining on their current contract. The extension in an extend-and-trade contract is limited to three total seasons, which includes the seasons remaining on the current contract.

Stay home Tiago!

Old 02-06-13, 02:38 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
gosh no. no offense, but that's horrible general managing. we'd be keeping Manu until he's 38-39?

this is more feasible:

Splitter will most likely get offered $8-10 million a year for around 3-4 years in an offer sheet and he'll take it. no way SA keeps him.

if anyone thinks Splitter is a "for sure lock", then Aron Baynes must not exist. he's signed cheap for the next 1-2 years for the minimum. also, the "he's new" or "he hasn't proven himself yet", he'll probably do the same thing Splitter is doing and come out of his shell in his contract year to get his change.
Manu has still some gas on his tank in my opinion. And 3 years 18M is not overpaying for him too much, it will be a charity conract (3rd year may be team option). Yes he's injury prone and i'm always concerning to read his injury news after games. Remember Celtics offered 12M to 37 years old Ray Allen for 2 years last off-season. So why wouldn't we resign with 2 years old younger Manu for same price, for the sake of 3 rings.

I'm pretty sure that if Splitter sign 4 years 30M offer sheet elsewhere, we're going to match him. We've paid too many time to find a complimentary piece to Duncan after D-Rob since 10 years. Now, at last, it seems that we've found one and we shouldn't lose him for some money. We've paid too much money to Rasho in past, we can pay it for Splitter too.

I would prefer Jackson 3 years 10M instead of 2 years 8M.(Last year would be partially guaranteed) But we should see this year's play-offs to see how he can do. If he shows that he can still defend and shoot in clutch, we can lock him for 3 years.
Old 02-06-13, 08:50 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know what we are going to pay Splitter, but I will bet anyone that it doesn't even get to the point where we have to match an offer. IMHO, we are going to sign Splitter to a fair deal (whatever that is, only Pop, RC, and Splitter know). Same thing goes for Manu. We will re-sign him to a deal that pays him fairly and doesn't kill us. I don't think we will sign Jax (at least I don't want to). I wouldn't want to pay him anything really. . . . . especially in a 3 year deal. He looks really slow out there right now. I think it would be easier to replace him than it would be to replace Neal's shooting.

I don't want to ignore Jackson's impact on our team. He has toughens and gritt that we don't. Maybe Baynes can bring that, or another inexpensive vet. I just don't want to pay Jackson more than 2 or 3 mil for 2 years.
Old 02-06-13, 11:38 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I don't think we will sign Jax (at least I don't want to). I wouldn't want to pay him anything really. . . . . especially in a 3 year deal. He looks really slow out there right now. I think it would be easier to replace him than it would be to replace Neal's shooting.

I don't want to ignore Jackson's impact on our team. He has toughens and gritt that we don't. Maybe Baynes can bring that, or another inexpensive vet. I just don't want to pay Jackson more than 2 or 3 mil for 2 years.

agree.... if he didnt resign... adam hanga?
Old 02-06-13, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TodTango View Post
Can't the Spurs head everyone off the pass and offer Tiago a contract before the FA period?
no idea, but if they could, the Spurs would. odds are that Tiago's the one not wanting to budge on a contract extension at the minimum he could get ($5 mill)

Quote:
Manu has still some gas on his tank in my opinion. And 3 years 18M is not overpaying for him too much, it will be a charity conract (3rd year may be team option). Yes he's injury prone and i'm always concerning to read his injury news after games. Remember Celtics offered 12M to 37 years old Ray Allen for 2 years last off-season. So why wouldn't we resign with 2 years old younger Manu for same price, for the sake of 3 rings.

I'm pretty sure that if Splitter sign 4 years 30M offer sheet elsewhere, we're going to match him. We've paid too many time to find a complimentary piece to Duncan after D-Rob since 10 years. Now, at last, it seems that we've found one and we shouldn't lose him for some money. We've paid too much money to Rasho in past, we can pay it for Splitter too.

I would prefer Jackson 3 years 10M instead of 2 years 8M.(Last year would be partially guaranteed) But we should see this year's play-offs to see how he can do. If he shows that he can still defend and shoot in clutch, we can lock him for 3 years.
Manu's earning $14 million this season. i love him but his last contract (coming off injury riddled seasons) was a charity contract mixed in with business marketing since he's the most popular Spur. Manu did his part and SA did their part, this year he's grossly overpaid on the court. time to get ready to move on from the Big 3 and focus on the young guns we got plus cap space.
Old 02-06-13, 05:12 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Stephen Jackson is the one I find questionable. We see teams like OKC and Memphis having to give up quality players. Does that happen to the Spurs? We know he wants to be here and he's tired of being shipped around the League and we know what attitude he brings. I would miss him if terms can't be reached.
Well, Jackson has a LOT of input into terms. If he wants to stay here, he should know it will be for less than he could make elsewhere.
Will he go for every dollar in the next contract? Will he hang around for half of that to enjoy his last few years?
Is he worth a 3yr/$16M contract?
Old 02-07-13, 01:00 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
When Manu's healthy he's easily worth twice that. This year he's played about 2/3 of the minutes Parker has. A salary of half Parker's ($6M) with a partially guaranteed 3rd year seems about right to me.
Twice that when healthy? What year? Too much period in my view. Injuries and he is older and has lots of miles on him. They have all this cap room why would they give it all up to re-sign Manu and Splitter??? Because that's what you are looking at with your figures.
Old 02-07-13, 01:02 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

this is more feasible:

Agree on the Manu part but not SJax I would offer him less.