News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-13, 08:45 AM
SR Team Goof

Dwight Howard re-injures right shoulder in loss to Suns

PHOENIX — Dwight Howard re-aggravated the injury to his right shoulder in Phoenix on Wednesday night, and it didn’t look to be anything minor either on the court or in the locker room afterward. While there was no speculation by anyone that Howard would be forced to miss time, it was clear that he was in plenty of pain and that he’ll need to be reevaluated by the training staff before making that determination.

“It’s real sore,” Howard said. “Everything on this (right) side is hurting pretty bad right now.”

Howard was forced to leave the Lakers 92-86 loss to the Suns with 6:56 to play in the game, after being fouled on a shot attempt. The downward motion of the defender put pressure on the the shoulder as Dwight went to raise his arm for the shot, and he sank to the floor after the contact as he tried to deal with the pain.

Howard said it’s the most pain he’s felt in the shoulder since the original injury back on Jan. 4.
“Numbness just went all down my arm and my neck,” he said. “It was pretty bad when it happened.”

Howard sat with ice wrapped around the shoulder at his locker for some time postgame, then went into the training room to get some black kinesiology tape placed around the shoulder before speaking with reporters. The normally jovial and playful big man was without a smile and seemed dejected and concerned when answering questions about the injury, and whether or not it would cause him to sit out an extended period of time to get it some rest.

“I don’t want to [sit out],” he said. “But we’ll see.”

The thinking was when the injury first occurred was that it would be something Dwight would simply be forced to play through all season.

“My understanding is it’s something that will hurt, go away, then he plays when it goes away,” Lakers head coach Mike D’Antoni said afterward.

“It is going to be an all-season thing, that’s how those types of injuries are,” said Kobe Bryant.

“I’ve had ‘em before, and when you get banged like that going up, you’re going to get that stinging sensation. That’s just how it’s going to be.”

Howard doesn’t know yet if he’ll play in the Lakers next game in Minnesota on Friday, as it will depend on how the injury reacts to rest and treatment over the next couple of days. He seemed willing to play through the pain to a certain extent, but was cautious when asked if this was something he’d have to deal with the rest of the season.

“I’m going to try as much as I can,” he said. “I don’t want to cause more damage to my shoulder.”

Related Link: Lakers lose to Suns in Nash’s return to Phoenix | ProBasketballTalk
Old 01-31-13, 08:49 AM
SR Team Goof

Looks to me like all of his past posturing while with the Magic has come back to bite him. A reoccurring shoulder injury doesn’t look good on a resume, particularly for a center who is known for shot blocking, rebounding and former defensive player of the year. And all in a contract year. Max salary??
Old 01-31-13, 08:53 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't view it as a major problem for the Lakers. They can lose without him just as easily.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-13, 11:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I don't view it as a major problem for the Lakers. They can lose without him just as easily.
But now BSPN can push the narrative that they had turned around the season with a three game win streak that was ended only when Howard re-injured his shoulder.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-31-13, 03:59 PM
The Master Baiter

Karma's kind of a beeoch.
Old 01-31-13, 11:17 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
But now BSPN can push the narrative that they had turned around the season with a three game win streak that was ended only when Howard re-injured his shoulder.
LOL LA fans were in glee and one other idiot on another board made a thread after a three game streak! I said if the Spurs fans did that they would have a thread almost every three games for their three game streak! They were back! Kobe was passing now and it was rolling! THEN...... Howard hurt again and they lose the game they were ahead in most of. What is funny to me is that their fans were back to crowning the team again after giving up a few weeks back! Their fans are some idiots.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-31-13, 11:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
LOL LA fans were in glee and one other idiot on another board made a thread after a three game streak! I said if the Spurs fans did that they would have a thread almost every three games for their three game streak! They were back! Kobe was passing now and it was rolling! THEN...... Howard hurt again and they lose the game they were ahead in most of. What is funny to me is that their fans were back to crowning the team again after giving up a few weeks back! Their fans are some idiots.
Old 02-04-13, 12:48 PM
SpursReport Team Member

No Trade?

Mitch Kupchak flatly said that the Los Angeles Lakers will not trade Dwight Howard ahead of the February deadline. Kupchak also seemed to imply that Pau Gasol, who has been a subject of trade rumors, will not be traded though he didn't mention him by name.

"We will not make a trade. We will not trade Dwight Howard. We have no intention of making a trade. It's unlikely that we'll make any trade with any of our principal players. To make another change at this time of the year being behind the eight-ball like we are, I think that would just make it more difficult. The talent is there. We have to find our way."

The Lakers fired Mike Brown after a 1-4 start and eventually settled on Mike D'Antoni, who has been responsible for mixed results.

"We're very happy with Mike D'Antoni," Kupchak said. "I think when he took the job I think he thought Nash [fractured left leg] might be out a week or two. Not two months. Getting everybody on the same page took a little longer than expected. Not to say it's been smooth sailing, that's for sure."

Steven Marcus/Newsday