SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Aron Baynes with the Dunk! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118531-aron-baynes-dunk.html)

crazytlingit 01-30-13 11:07 PM

Aron Baynes with the Dunk!

He dunked it, he dunked it! Now I'm convinced he is somewhat athletic. I know it was just one dunk, but he made it look so easy, well easier than I ever seen the likes of Tiago do. I'm convinced he is a true 6'10-11" guy also, where he looked big out there. Manu did hurt himself tonight, not a good sign.

7pts 9rbs 1blk, not bad

Bobcats at Spurs - January 30, 2013 - Game Preview, Play by Play, Scores and Recap on NBA.com[0021200678]

Rzarector7 01-30-13 11:43 PM

Manu hurt himself again? HUH? I did not see the game but if he got hurt again he is truly getting hurt way too much :( We need that guy.

spurscrazed 01-30-13 11:48 PM

Surprised Pop said in the interview that Baynes is like Tiago with few differences. I thought Baynes was more athletic than Splitter. I guess they both have two different games.

A Dunk and an Alley Oop from TP to Baynes!!! :D

Dude played Decent D esp with that BLOCK (although I saw him block another 2 shots but I guess they did not count those...)and Rebounded well.

Such a Great sight indeed!!!

And Baynes will only get BETTER!!!!!:D

Thanks Coach Brown for this scout! And thanks Pop & RC for this sign!
:hat

crazytlingit 01-30-13 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurscrazed (Post 1291315)
Surprised Pop said in the interview that Baynes is like Tiago with few differences. I thought Baynes was more athletic than Splitter. I guess they both have two different games.

A Dunk and an Alley Oop from TP to Baynes!!! :D

Dude played Decent D esp with that BLOCK (although I saw him block another 2 shots but I guess they did not count those...)and Rebounded well.

Such a Great sight indeed!!!

And Baynes will only get BETTER!!!!!:D

Thanks Coach Brown for this scout! And thanks Pop & RC for this sign!
:hat

Did you say alley opp? I'm a spurs fan man, quit messing around, we haven't had a alley opp since D. Rob was in the house, quit it!

crazytlingit 01-30-13 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rzarector7 (Post 1291314)
Manu hurt himself again? HUH? I did not see the game but if he got hurt again he is truly getting hurt way too much :( We need that guy.

Manu grabbed his hamstring, think he aggravated it again.

spurscrazed 01-30-13 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytlingit (Post 1291316)
Did you say alley opp?

Yep. Tony to Baynes was Awesome to see!!!:drummer

I will try to find a Gif for that Alley OOP and post it. :wink

crazytlingit 01-31-13 12:03 AM

http://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs...vansCE0412.jpg

spurscrazed 01-31-13 12:21 AM

OK I found a video highlights Baynes game tongiht not a gif.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7U-27YSspNM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aron Baynes 7 Points/1 Block Full Highlights (1/30/2013) - YouTube

My Bad it was not and Alley OOP what it was a left hand tip in and a pass was from Mills not Tony at the last few second of the game. :p

Still it was such an awesome game to watch Baynes play like that!!!
WELCOME to the NBA Baynes!!!!!!!!! :banana

The only bad thing was that Manu got injured again from his left hamstring and left at the second half. But Manu played real good at the beg of the game....Let's hope he will be back soon.

Go Spurs Go

Rzarector7 01-31-13 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytlingit (Post 1291317)
Manu grabbed his hamstring, think he aggravated it again.

I love dude to death as a fan and love his times here, but Fraginobili once again it seems :( He is a walking injury since 08 alot of times.

KAD 01-31-13 07:50 AM

wow great highlights on Baynes

alh1020 01-31-13 08:04 AM

As I do with all Spurs newcomers, most of which are 10 day contractors, I tend to watch them away from the ball and see how they react. I have to admit I was a little excited to see how the new guy on the block would play. Given that he hadn’t played in any actually game situations in a while, he didn’t do too badly. He looked a little sluggish at times but he’s a big. He runs the court well, looks to have pretty good lateral foot speed and go after the offensive rebounds. On defense, he likes to keep his hands on his opponent and tends to try and muscle them for position a lot, which is normal, but remember, he’s considered a rookie and they don’t get calls. I saw him grabbing rebounds but didn’t realize he had 9. And he might have what could be a workable midrange jumper, given time.

The book on Baynes is that he sets a pretty good pick and he had a few solid ones last night. One area of criticism is that he tends to lean into the opponent with his shoulder and with arm flexed. Again, he’s a rookie and whether he gets away with it may depend on the officiating crew the Spurs draw. His team defense needs a little polish. Granted, it’s his first game and he was concerned about his man whom he handled, but a few opponents drove the lane while he was there without being challenged and with his height and girth, he might have deterred an easy layup.

Aside from my knit picky points, if first impressions count for anything, I think we have a big we can work with. Just like Splitter, Baynes needs game experience to get better and time to play with his new teammates to get to know their mannerisms. Welcome to San Antonio mate.

JuanCaca 01-31-13 09:17 AM

dang :-( due to restrictions, i cant see the vid :-(

you guys think theres enough time to train baynes to be useful 10 - 15 min a game during PO?

alh1020 01-31-13 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanCaca (Post 1291337)
....you guys think theres enough time to train baynes to be useful 10 - 15 min a game during PO?

Oh yeah, IMO. He logged almost 18 mins and was the games top rebounder with 9 (3 offensive), had 7 points, 1 block and 4 personal fouls and Pop even had some good words about him after the game. Granted, this game was against Charlotte but its still a proving ground for a 'rookie', per se, but I think the Spurs made a good choice in signing him. They can get 10-15 mins or more out of him in the PO, but will he squeeze into Pop's standard 7-8 man rotation in the POs remains to be seen.

mckennaspur1 01-31-13 11:12 AM

He looked OK. He's a hulk who has good energy and attitude. He looks clumsy at times, but so did Tiago at this point in his career.

The pick & roll with TP, the alley oop with Patty and the shot block in the paint are encouraging. He's ready to take Blair's spot right now.

It'll be interesting to see whether Pop can get him on the floor during the rodeo trip for a few minutes at a time with different rotations.

b1gdon 01-31-13 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanCaca (Post 1291337)
dang :-( due to restrictions, i cant see the vid :-(

you guys think theres enough time to train baynes to be useful 10 - 15 min a game during PO?

Try it now, because I just viewed the vid.

As for whether he'll be seen in the playoffs, I'd still say probably not. He played well against an undersized awful Bobcats team, but I don't think we should read too much into to it just yet. My opinion has definitely improved from D-League project to end of bench project, but I still think he is a project center nevertheless.

Spurd_On 01-31-13 11:57 AM

I enjoyed his game too. Kind of like a raw linebacker in a basketball uniform. However, even with all the talk and all the articles, I'm not ready to commit to him being a replacement for anyone unless someone actually leaves the team or doesn't suit up for the playoffs. Until then, he is another useful option off the bench depending on the matchup. Just like Bonner and Blair, there are still missing aspects to his game. In his case, it seems to be any shot further than 6 inches from the rim right now.

crazytlingit 01-31-13 01:46 PM

http://www.nba.com/spurs/sites/spurs...vansCE0412.jpg

JuanCaca 01-31-13 02:56 PM

thanks!!

Uwe Blab 01-31-13 03:56 PM

I like his aggressiveness, but I think we'll only see him in the playoffs if the match ups dictate it. And even then, I wouldn't imagine more than 10 minutes. That's this year. He could make it into the regular rotation next year with Blair and probably Bonner leaving.

SleepyAdamII 01-31-13 05:24 PM

I don't see him much more than a strategic piece against the harder teams who have bullied us and won (memphis and LAC and potentially the LAL). I think he can be put in and mix it up and provide physical toughness next to Tim and Splitter. Against a GSW and Houston, he may not see as much time, but definitely this was an answer to a glaring deficiency of this team.

alh1020 01-31-13 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII (Post 1291376)
....I think he can be put in and mix it up and provide physical toughness next to Tim and Splitter.... .

Kinda like "Hey Baynes, you got 6 fouls to waste, use 'em!"???

SleepyAdamII 01-31-13 10:15 PM

Add OKC and Portland to the list of teams that bully us with their size. The main knock on this team has been that they were too short for the past 3 or so years. Does he solve the problem? Maybe if he gets some PT, No if Pop keeps him on the bench.

Spurd_On 02-01-13 12:25 AM

Say what you want about Blair (and many articles with nothing to back them up except with opinion have). In my opinion, Blair has proved himself valuable in racking up both points and rebounds in certain situations, to get the team back in the game.

JuanCaca 02-01-13 09:22 AM

hey spurd on
blair is useful against slow/short/non scorer frontlines, unfortunate he didnt defend, so he rack points, and rebounds generally from his own misses, but allow teams score almost at will against him...

SleepyAdamII 02-01-13 10:09 AM

Blair is pretty good against quick , running teams, like OKC and Dallas, he can be good against Memphis. Some nights he can be 20-20 and really get into a rhythm. However when he doesn't get into his groove, he forces alot of shots and doesn't set good screens. When he's not getting the ball thrown to him, he stops really doing the little things to be effective.

Baynes may not have a 20-20 night like Blair, but he'll have the physical tools to help our team hang with the big teams in the west.