SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   TD and Blair Out tonight vs. Bobcats (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118525-td-blair-out-tonight-vs-bobcats.html)

doom32x4 01-30-13 10:42 AM

TD and Blair Out tonight vs. Bobcats

The Spurs just released the injury report for tonight.

Injury report: Tim Duncan (left knee) and DeJuan Blair (right knee) out tonight vs. Bobcats

alh1020 01-30-13 11:53 AM

With 2 bigs out for tonight, looks like Baynes might have his number called. Let's see what he brings to the table.

Spurd_On 01-30-13 11:53 AM

It may be interesting to see if a big of his size begins his NBA career getting in foul trouble.

WhiteChocolateJr 01-30-13 11:57 AM

Hopefully more precautionary than necessary. I would imagine given the fact that TD was in practice, this is a "look-who-we're-playing" roster tweak--and a chance to give Baynes a shot at first-impression redemption. If the matchup were OKC, Timmy would likely be out there. Let's just get both TD's knees healthy for the REAL season, April-June.

MichaelWi101 01-30-13 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1291265)
It may be interesting to see if a big of his size begins his NBA career getting in foul trouble.

Tonight's refs are
Jason Phillips, Has reffed since 95 calls an average of -0.2 personal fouls per game less than the nba average.

Dick Bavetta - was born December 10, 1939. He has never missed an assigned game in 32 seasons of action. He has worked 2,200+ regular season games, 230+ play-off games and 24 NBA Finals games. Despite dying 3 years ago, Bavetta continues to officiate games, which is a testament to his durability. calls an average of 1.4 personal fouls more per game than the nba average.

JT Orr -Has been a ref since 2008 with a total of 86 games under his belt calls an average of -0.3 personal fouls per game less than the nba average.<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="tableRowOdd">
</td><td class="tableRowOdd">
</td><td class="tableRowOdd">
</td></tr></tbody></table>Now none of these refs are going to be familiar in any way with Baynes game, so my guess is he picks up 2 or 3 real quick fouls, all called by Bavetta..

td4mvp2k 01-30-13 12:49 PM

Id start Bonner and Splitter.

spurscrazed 01-30-13 02:29 PM

I do like this notion from Pop to rest TD from fear of any potential extra exhaust on TD's body! Good to hear Pop trusting to play other players now vs. NBA teams with non winning records. :drummer

Hopefully Tim will get some rest but still stay in shape and not get rusty. We need to save some miles on that knee that is for sure!!!

I think other Spurs will manage to keep the winning streak while TD is resting.

Go Spurs Go

spurscrazed 01-30-13 02:35 PM

I also think I noticed Blair limping during the middle of the last game and was thinking this is something that could be serious.

Sure enough Blair is not able to play on that knee tonight.

Let's hope Blair will be able to get well with resting it. Then he can get back to play and help Spurs a little with few minutes before he either gets traded or shut down at the PO since he is only good for regular season.

That is all unless Blair is ok and Spurs coaches wanted to test Baynes and try to ship Blair asap... Or if the Spurs FO found a team to unload Blair to....

We shall find out soon...

For tonight FREE Baynes!!!!:rock

b1gdon 01-30-13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurscrazed (Post 1291285)
I also think I noticed Blair limping during the middle of the last game and was thinking this is something that could be serious.

Sure enough Blair is not able to play on that knee tonight.

Let's hope Blair will be able to get well with resting it. Then he can get back to play and help Spurs a little with few minutes before he either gets traded or shut down at the PO since he is only good for regular season.

That is all unless Blair is ok and Spurs coaches wanted to test Baynes and try to ship Blair asap... Or if the Spurs FO found a team to unload Blair to....

We shall find out soon...

For tonight FREE Baynes!!!!:rock

I hope this whole TD knee thing is just a ruse to give him an extended midseason rest. I'm pretty sure that it is a real injury that the Spurs want to rest as long as possible. I fear that this knee injury will the end of Timmy 3.0.

As far as Blair goes, I have no idea how he'd do in the playoffs, Pop always benched him before he ever had a shot to prove himself.

As for Baynes, I'm highly skeptical that he will contribute in any meaningful way for this team this season. The expectations on this guy are WAY TOO HIGH. Keep in mind he is an undrafted midseason free agent signee and adjust your expectations appropriately. Even Splitter took a full season before he could meaningfully contribute and another season to become better than replacement level and he was drafted and stashed.

The Spurs will likely go with a 3 man post rotation with Splitter, Bonner, and Diaw. Hopefully we'll get to see plenty of Baynes in garbage time. Maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised and Baynes will be able to contribute 20 minutes a night as the 4th big man in the rotation, but I highly highly doubt it.

One more note, given the status of Timmy's knee, unless the Spurs are able to move Jackson for a big man, the Spurs should not move Blair. His value as a big man minute sponge shouldn't be underestimated. At this point, that may be greater that anything the Spurs could get back in a trade.

FYI: Baynes has the worst PER in the NBA right now at -52.5. Only one way to go and that's up.

Jose_TheGenius 01-30-13 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1291277)
Id start Bonner and Splitter.

i'd do the same but, with it being Pop, you should expect Diaw/Splitter and Baynes/Bonner. that 2nd unit won't be too awful if Pop tried it since Baynes is known for his inside work and Bonner is an outsider shooter.

td4mvp2k 01-30-13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1291288)
i'd do the same but, with it being Pop, you should expect Diaw/Splitter and Baynes/Bonner. that 2nd unit won't be too awful if Pop tried it since Baynes is known for his inside work and Bonner is an outsider shooter.

Ya Pop has been going with Splitter and Diaw alot. I will see how he plays that 2nd team with no Tim or Blair.

b1gdon 01-30-13 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1291291)
Ya Pop has been going with Splitter and Diaw alot. I will see how he plays that 2nd team with no Tim or Blair.

We are also leaving out that the Spurs can go small. The Bobcats start 6-9 Bismack Biyombo at C. This would have been a perfect game for Blair to get extended PT even with Timmy healthy. With him out, expect to see extended minutes with Jackson at 4.

mckennaspur1 01-30-13 04:52 PM

Sorry about Blair. This could have been a big game for him.

The Cats are pretty dreadful, but Pop's precautions are giving them an opening.

If Baynes sees the floor, I figure him for a foul-a-minute. Welcome to the league, rook.

Mombear 01-30-13 07:06 PM

Or is Blair out because he's getting ready to be traded????

td4mvp2k 01-30-13 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mombear (Post 1291307)
Or is Blair out because he's getting ready to be traded????

If thats what it is then so is Bonner who is out this game.

td4mvp2k 01-30-13 09:20 PM

Baynes playing good for a rook and more like he knows the team.

Mombear 01-30-13 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1291309)
If thats what it is then so is Bonner who is out this game.

If only... :lol