SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Tony Parker = Western Conference Player of the Week!!!! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118505-tony-parker-western-conference-player-week.html)

spurscrazed 01-28-13 02:25 PM

Tony Parker = Western Conference Player of the Week!!!!

Congrats to All Star Tony Parker!!!!

What a GREAT HONOR!!!!:worthy

Very Well Deserved! :rock :p

Go Tony you and your bad self!!!!
:hat

Go Spurs Go

Spurs Nation

Spurs point guard Tony Parker has been named Western Conference Player of the Week for the eighth time in his 12-year career, the NBA announced Monday.

Parker, recently named to his fifth All-Star game, averaged 24.5 points and 9.5 assists while shooting 60.6 percent as the Spurs went 4-0. He was particularly good in the absences of Tim Duncan and head coach Gregg Popovich, averaging 26 points and 10 assists over the past three games.

His four outings last week:

at Philadelphia (W): 20 points, 8 assists, 8-for-15 shooting.

New Orleans (W): 24 points, 13 assists, four rebounds, 10 -for-18 shooting.

at Dallas (W): 23 points, 10 assists, four rebounds, 9-for-16 shooting.

Phoenix (W): 31 points, 7 assists, four rebounds, two steals, 13-for-17 shooting.

The Phoenix performance was his best of the season according to Basketball Reference’s game scoring.

Uwe Blab 01-28-13 02:41 PM

There were several people a few years ago that said Parker had already lost a step and once he lost his speed he would be useless. Obviously, I argued against that theory. I said he would develop a shot and that footwork is the name of the game when you lose speed, ala Steve Nash. They also said he was past his prime when he was only 28.

mckennaspur1 01-28-13 03:28 PM

The recent winning streak has everything to do with TP's taking over the 4th quarter of games. Spurs haven't been blowing anyone out and only pull away when TP starts shooting from all over the floor and when the D finally locks down.

spurscrazed 01-28-13 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1291125)
There were several people a few years ago that said Parker had already lost a step and once he lost his speed he would be useless. Obviously, I argued against that theory. I said he would develop a shot and that footwork is the name of the game when you lose speed, ala Steve Nash. They also said he was past his prime when he was only 28.

Yep! I remember your previous posts re: TP. Tony sure did prove all those who doubted him wrong, didn't he? :) Right on Uwe Blab :thumb

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 (Post 1291127)
The recent winning streak has everything to do with TP's taking over the 4th quarter of games. Spurs haven't been blowing anyone out and only pull away when TP starts shooting from all over the floor and when the D finally locks down.

So Glad to see Tony taking CONTROLL with double L's because he is doing this with Authority and when it counts in the second half esp the fourth when it counts.... To CLOSE!!!! Great Reason this team is so consistent no other than the under rated TP who keeps wanting to do BETTER. Pop keeps challenging him and all Tony does is ANSWER with his GAME. Let his game talk about him. Let's hope he keeps it up! :drummer

Spurd_On 01-28-13 09:14 PM

Well earned. I can't help but think that Stephen Jackson has helped Tiago and Tony bring out toughness in their game. When Parker made a hard punishing drive to the basket the other night for an and-one, the first thing he did was give SJ a low 5. Jeff VanGundy never ceased talking about his toughness.

MRJONESIII 01-28-13 09:52 PM

Way to go, Rodney Dangerfield.... Oops I mean Tony Parker! He'll never get respect! But 4 rings would be a nice middle finger to the rest of the league. Out of all those top tier point guards, only Rondo has a ring.

spurscrazed 01-29-13 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1291159)
Well earned. I can't help but think that Stephen Jackson has helped Tiago and Tony bring out toughness in their game. When Parker made a hard punishing drive to the basket the other night for an and-one, the first thing he did was give SJ a low 5. Jeff VanGundy never ceased talking about his toughness.

:lol @J V Gundy, he is one of the top NBA former coaches/now commentators Tony's biggest fan. JVG had always admired TP's game and defended him all the time... I guess JVG sees himself in TP as a young Baller... Nice to hear that...

Did you all also hear JVG said he wants to move permanently to live in San Antonio so he can watch all Spurs soooooo entertaining bball games :lol @ JVG'LOVE to the Spurs...JVG said 2 yrs back he would pay money to watch Manu play too..

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1291161)
Out of all those top tier point guards, only Rondo has a ring.

Wow! True Dat!!!!!

Jose_TheGenius 01-29-13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1291125)

that's all true, but the team has also helped with that. it wasn't until Parker got a Kawhi Leonard and Danny Green to substitute a Manu Ginobili and Richard Jefferson and give him a little more breathing room on the offensive end that he got a quicker step and decided to develop a shot. remember he had to create for Jefferson, Keith Bogans, and (name another player on the team 2-3 years ago that couldn't do squat for his own offense). now he has young guys who can handle the rock and create their own shot, along with a jump shooting Duncan and a Tiago Splitter who now can apparently cut to the basket because he feels comfortable (whatever that means). he has more help now. still a really good player, but if he had those one dimensional guys around him, he wouldn't be as good as he is now.