SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Pop likley to coach West All Stars (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118502-pop-likley-coach-west-all-stars.html)

SilverSpur 01-28-13 05:32 AM

Pop likley to coach West All Stars

The Spurs contingent at the All-Star Game in Houston on Feb. 17 might grow by week’s end.

The “magic number” that will put coach Gregg Popovich on the Western Conference bench along with forward Tim Duncan and point guard Tony Parker was one as of Sunday.

Scott Brooks, coach of the Oklahoma City Thunder, is ineligible to return as head coach for a second consecutive All-Star Game. That means only Popovich and Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro remain in the running to coach the West at the Toyota Center.

The coach of the team with the best record in each conference is accorded the All-Star coaching honor, with the provision a coach can’t repeat from one year to the next. Deadline for determining the coaches is Feb. 3, with records measured at the end of play that day.

Little more than a week ago, Del Negro seemed certain to coach the West, but his team went into a Sunday night home game against Portland having lost four consecutive games.

Popovich’s Spurs, meanwhile, have won eight straight. Their last three victories have come without Duncan (left knee injury) and, ironically, Popovich (illness) himself.

More... Spurs Nation

shelden 01-28-13 08:27 AM

If he weren't such a competitor, I could see Pop throwing a couple of games so he wouldn't have to go to All-Star weekend.

mckennaspur1 01-28-13 10:42 AM

Pop is voting for Vinnie!

pjm 01-28-13 11:40 AM

What happens in case Pop gets ill for the All-Star weekend?

spurscrazed 01-28-13 03:08 PM

Pop should like to coach the ASG because we have Timmy and TP there and Pop could manage their minutes so they don't over play our guys!! :wink

Mr. pjm: I believe if Pop is still sick, they will have to call the next coach in the standing of the NBA who is most likely Coach Del Negro if I recall correctly!

KAD 01-28-13 07:50 PM

I love it - Pop should go and the commish will be there and the media will for sure raise the issue of the Miami game.

katyspursfan 01-28-13 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAD (Post 1291148)
I love it - Pop should go and the commish will be there and the media will for sure raise the issue of the Miami game.

Or....

Pop accepts, and then hops on a Southwest flight with Timmy and Tony Sunday.

If I were him, I'd take flight 1500, since it is direct. Wanna Get Away? It's only $144 per as of today.

Imagine the fine... awesome.

Mombear 01-28-13 08:02 PM

I hope, as a joke, he sends in the second string when the game starts...bwaaaaaaaahahhahahaha :laugh :laugh

Rzarector7 01-29-13 01:34 AM

I am sure he is just thrilled!!!!! I can see the excitement on his face if he is named coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!