News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-13, 06:13 AM
SR Team Goof

Reactions mixed to Brown’s flagrant foul

by Mike Monroe

A funny thing happened on Manu Ginobili’s way to the rim Saturday night in the final seconds of the third quarter of the Spurs’ 108-99 victory over the Suns at the AT&T Center. But nobody was laughing.

Smacked in the head by Suns guard Shannon Brown, Ginobili ended up in a heap on the court under the Spurs basket, players from both teams pushing and shoving, referees separating potential combatants.

Brown was charged with a flagrant foul, penalty-2, and ejected from the game.

Ginobili made both foul shots to trim Phoenix’s lead to a single point heading into the final period and thanked Suns forward Markieff Morris for awkwardly crashing into him after Brown’s hit.

“I kind of got pushed into him and it was lucky he was there,” said Ginobili, who scored 18 points after going scoreless in the Spurs’ easy win in Dallas on Friday night. “I had lost my balance and hitting him put me back upright. So I was actually very lucky.”

Ginobili never saw Brown’s forearm coming at his head because he had faked his way past the Suns defender at the top of the key and was headed to the basket for what he thought would be an easy layin.

“I was going to the rim and felt a boom to my head,” he said. “I imagined it was a flagrant but I saw it only on the replay afterwards.”

Ginobili’s teammates were divided on whether Brown’s play was malicious.

“I thought that was very dirty,” point guard Tony Parker said. “He didn’t need to do that. I think it was a big momentum change. Definitely everybody looked at each other and said, ‘You know what, let’s finish them.’?”

Stephen Jackson said he believed Brown was trying for a block from behind as Ginobili prepared to go up for his shot.

“I know Shannon Brown,” he said. “He doesn’t play like that. Obviously, if it was anybody else I probably would have knocked him out. It’s unfortunate he had to get kicked out for just trying to make an aggressive play. I swipe at the ball like that a lot and you never mean to do that on purpose.”

Sharing a dunk: Spurs captain Tim Duncan, seated on the Spurs’ bench in league-approved attire as he missed his third straight game with a sore left knee, couldn’t contain himself when teammate Boris Diaw drove the right baseline for a rare dunk in the fourth quarter.

Duncan leaped to his feet, a broad grin on his face, and greeted Diaw as he came to the bench when the Suns called a timeout after the play.

The unassuming Diaw, though, deflected the credit for just his second dunk of the season.

“Tiago (Splitter) was boxing out the help that was trying to come,” he said. “I said, ‘Well I have to dunk that one.’?”

Splitter claimed half the credit for the dunk.

“I saw him coming so I tried to hold all the defense behind me so he could dunk the ball,” he said. “I think half that dunk is mine.”

Spurs Nation
Old 01-27-13, 06:33 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Brown had it out for Manu the moment he stepped on the floor. I watched all the shoves and looks on my DVR which led up to that moment.

No matter what Stephen Jackson thinks, Manu got under Brown's skin and skin retaliated dirty not once, but twice.

Suspend his a~•!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-13, 11:40 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

@ Splitter sharing half that dunk with Diaw... That's funny!

Don't care if Cap'n Jack is defending that punk SBrown, but our Manu was Def roughed up pretty bad by SBrown. Def a Flagrant two so he does not go after Manu's head rather swipe at the ball only next time.

Glad Manu was ok and like TP said that was a momentum change which sparked the Spurs. So it went in our favor. Manu was Awesome after he got that cheap shot and rallied the team.

Go Spurs Go

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-27-13, 12:24 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

haha, dont be fooled by capt jack!! he is not defedingn brown, he is putting patch before the hit when he came strong against somebody in PO haha this part explain it all «It’s unfortunate he (or anyone else) had to get kicked out for just trying to make an aggressive play. I swipe at the ball like that a lot and you never mean to do that on purpose.» lolol
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinsons face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim hed look at me like he was bored and then say, Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass. Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Old 01-27-13, 03:53 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I have to say that there is an interesting story to this. L.Hunter was a backup PG for the Suns the year R.Horry clipped Nash in the playoffs. He also says that his team will become a defensive minded team. So he may have demanded his team play with more toughness. Brown may have sacrificed himself to change momentum.
Old 01-28-13, 06:36 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmushroomz View Post
I have to say that there is an interesting story to this. L.Hunter was a backup PG for the Suns the year R.Horry clipped Nash in the playoffs. He also says that his team will become a defensive minded team. So he may have demanded his team play with more toughness. Brown may have sacrificed himself to change momentum.
Uhm, his team has Scola at the 4. It will not become magically defensively minded.

Goran Dragic is the best player on the team. They don't need to become better defensively. They need better players.
Old 01-29-13, 01:24 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
Uhm, his team has Scola at the 4. It will not become magically defensively minded.

Goran Dragic is the best player on the team. They don't need to become better defensively. They need better players.
Yep, lol at Scola at the 4 and defensive minded and Dragic their best player as you said, you are fully correct there!
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 01-29-13, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffedmushroomz View Post
um...........

no he wasn't. Lindsey Hunter played for the Detroit Pistons, he didn't play for the Phoenix Suns, especially during the 2007 postseason.