News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-26-13, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Jackson Expiring Contract. Trade him?

I was watching TV last night in New York and they mentioned that the Spurs look like one player away from getting to the championship over OKC. They also mentioned that Jacksons expiring contract along with a Blair/Green type might get them a pretty good player in return. My question is do you think the Spurs might do something this year with the trade chips they have?

They also threw out a couple of names that the Spurs should go for, although I am not sure their Contracts status. They mentions a JJ Redick or a Josh Smith could help push them to the finals. Redick looks like he does the same thing as Gary Neal to me. Am I missing something with him?

Any other names out there you would like or could see them going for? Or do you think they will let his contract expire for a FA at the end of the year? Not even sure who is going to be a FA and if they would be better then a trade candidate. I think Josh Smith is a FA though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-13, 03:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If they were going to trade Jack they would of did it in the preseason and they wont get a Smith but they could get a Derrick Williams from the Wolves. Reddick for what? No!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-26-13, 03:54 PM
SpursReport Rookie

The only thing is some of the players like Gay,Smith,Williams and others would not of been on the trade block in the preseason. Isn't the trade deadline when a lot of the expiring contracts get traded? When teams fall out of contention, teams realize what missing piece they need and so forth?

Dreaming but I would love Rudy Gay . We would have to give up a ton for him though.
Old 01-26-13, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmengd View Post
Isn't the trade deadline when a lot of the expiring contracts get traded? When teams fall out of contention, teams realize what missing piece they need and so forth?
Ya why would you want to trade a player who has been good for the Spurs this season and the team being in contention with him?

Last edited by td4mvp2k; 01-26-13 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 04:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I would like Jeff Green from Boston... Little taller and lot more athletic and younger.
Old 01-26-13, 04:37 PM
Herman Cain of the board

JJ? We have one just like him for the fraction of the cost his name is Gary Neal. I'd keep Jack for the playoffs and have his deal expire. I'd love for the Spurs to have cap room this summer not just because of free agents but for the draft to make some deals. You're more in the trade market if you are under the cap. Teams seem to be more active around the draft. Not opposed to bringing jack back but he needs a huge paycut.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 01-26-13 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
I would like Jeff Green from Boston... Little taller and lot more athletic and younger.
$8 million a year and a huge disappointing. can't score much and can't rebound in Boston where they're thin with talent.

i say you keep Jackson and let him go off the books with Manu. with TD/TP/young core, we have significant cap room. i'm not saying we'll get anyone of relevance, but in all honesty, the Spurs could throw some huge money at Dwight Howard.

yes he's a diva, but a darn good player nonetheless. that might convince Pop to stay on board for more years after TD and, unlike Lakers, our system is one he can be pleased with.
Old 01-26-13, 07:47 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Trade Bonner and Blair. Not Captain Jack!
Old 01-27-13, 12:43 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Trade Bonner and Blair. Not Captain Jack!
Amen that!
Old 01-27-13, 01:11 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

SJax is too important to move at this time. He can play the 4 when Pop wants to go small. He's a key in the 2d unit. He's the only player who can both work on the wings and arc and then work down low with his back to the basket. Unlike everyone not named TP or Manu, he can create his own shot.

Yeah, he's way overpaid, but I don't see how the Spurs move him this year.
Old 01-27-13, 02:39 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I hate cliches but here goes, A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush, with Bonner, Blair, and Jackson we know what and where they can contribute.
Old 01-27-13, 03:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
SJax is too important to move at this time. He can play the 4 when Pop wants to go small. He's a key in the 2d unit. He's the only player who can both work on the wings and arc and then work down low with his back to the basket. Unlike everyone not named TP or Manu, he can create his own shot.

Yeah, he's way overpaid, but I don't see how the Spurs move him this year.
Unfortunately, while he can create his own shot, he's having a real hard time making them. He's got the worst effective FG% of any regular rotatioin Spur. While I appreciate his hustle defensively, he's turned into a liability on offense especially from 3 where he's only hitting 28% of his shots. I'm not saying we have to trade him, I just don't think he is as much of an asset that we have to keep.

Since Rondo's now done for the year what if we offered Jackson and Splitter for Garnett and cap relief after checking to see if Garnet really did wish Timmy a Happy Mother's Day.
Old 01-27-13, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Jackson = Spurs' toughness! Without Jack, Spurs will be manhandled every night. It happened last year & that's why he was brought back, Believe it or not, Pop will not allow such a move.
Old 01-27-13, 05:24 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
what if we offered Jackson and Splitter for Garnett and cap relief.
NEVER, NEVER - Garnett's days are behind him and he fades under pressure.
SJax is a real tough guy, Garnett is a blowhard,
Garnett is 36 (37 in May) , Splitter is 28 and at this stage of his career, he can play for the Spurs for the next several years, Garnett would be here for the next couple of months and there's no guarantee that even with cap space the Spurs would be able to land a quality big over the summer to replace Tiago and there aren't that many quality bigs out there.

Now if you want to offer Bonner and Blair for him, go for it. (and the numbers don't come close to working...)
Old 01-27-13, 07:09 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I know that the Spur FO has a bit of history with the grape and grain...but there isn't enough alcohol in the Western Hemisphere to get Pop and RC to trade a probable building block for the next half decade (Splitter) for a guy whose defense prowess these days mostly involves making nasty comments about other players' wives.
Old 01-27-13, 07:16 PM
The Master Baiter

He has value to the team, but people are really overestimating his value. He is SF that they can throw at Lebron and Durant, and I think that's his value to the team. He isn't really scoring all that much and his overall defense is not great. There haven't been any games where his "toughness" has pushed the Spurs to a win. People forget that the Spurs won 2 titles after he left and didn't have a "tough guy" on the team.

Point is, he is very tradeable and the Spurs wouldn't miss much, although I don't think they will trade him unless a "too good to pass up" trade comes through the phone. Pop loves him.