News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-24-13, 12:55 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Matt Bonner Farewell Tour 2013

Per Project Spurs:

Right now, the Spurs have a combined $30 million in contracts coming off the books this summer. That's Manu, Jackson, Tiago Splitter (restricted free agent), DeJuan Blair (restricted) and Gary Neal (restricted). Matt Bonner's contract is only guaranteed for $1 million if he's waived by June 29th, so that could be an extra $3 million off the books. Additionally, Boris Diaw and Patty Mills have player options on their deals. We'll assume they don't opt of their deals but the Spurs do waive Bonner and say they have approximately $33 million in expiring contracts which would get them about $23 million in cap space.

There is your proof boys!

FYI NBA Draft is June 27th. So he will be gone by that time.

no comments
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-13, 01:15 PM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

Manu and Tiago will be back, and probably Diaw, Mills and Neal too.
Old 01-24-13, 01:18 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guille View Post
Manu and Tiago will be back, and probably Diaw, Mills and Neal too.
Most likely but at reduced money for Manu. just showing the Bonner lovers and haters that he can be let go for less.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-13, 01:31 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
..................that he can be let go for less.
If not sooner before the trade deadline which might reduce the ulcer pains fans have been getting during the playoffs based on Bonner's past performances.
Old 01-24-13, 02:23 PM
The Master Baiter

Still don't know what the Spurs would do with cap space. No one ever comes here unless it's a veteran that is on his last legs.
Old 01-24-13, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

As I have said before Bonner earns his keep nothing more nothing less.
Old 01-24-13, 11:48 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Thanks for the find Will!!
Bonner's acquisition can fit at least two NBA teams now.
Let's hope Spurs can get it done before trade deadline and get Spurs either a veteran who is looking for his ring or any okay big/sf who fits here..
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 01-25-13, 05:33 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

No way the Spurs trade Bonner before the deadline. Great 3pt shooting among contending teams is a must!
Old 01-25-13, 12:22 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
As I have said before Bonner earns his keep nothing more nothing less.
doesn't earn it in the playoffs. look up the stats.
Old 01-25-13, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

bonner is the perfect fit for miami, even with his drawbacks...
Old 01-25-13, 01:25 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
No way the Spurs trade Bonner before the deadline. Great 3pt shooting among contending teams is a must!
I agree... but we are talking about playoffs after the dealine which doesn't apply to Bonner's 3pt shooting cause he shoots nothing but bricks during that timeframe.
Old 01-25-13, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo View Post
Guapo you mentioned The Main Point.

That is the Exact REASON why Spurs should trade Bonner who has THE BEST VALUE to get out of him as he is right there top of the league's in Three Point Shooting.

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 01-25-13, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Bonner is not going anywhere before this summer. With Tim probably nursing his knee the rest of the season Bonner will get plenty of minutes. Bayne may get a few minutes later in the season, but they will be minimal. He was signed this year because he wouldn't be available if the Spurs waited until the summer. The Spurs would not be able to find anyone that could fit into the rotation with Bonner's "corporate knowledge" that would do any better job than Bonner--not even close. So everyone just buckle up and enjoy the ride...
Old 06-21-13, 12:25 AM
Herman Cain of the board

BYE BONNER!
Old 06-21-13, 03:36 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Most likely but at reduced money for Manu. just showing the Bonner lovers and haters that he can be let go for less.
If Manu is coming back it better be for the minimum salary, he has not earned his money the last 2 years.
Old 06-21-13, 05:20 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Still don't know what the Spurs would do with cap space. No one ever comes here unless it's a veteran that is on his last legs.
I would take a BARRY and Horry again! Hell I would take 06-07 Finley again. They came up big in the playoff games. We needed a backup PG in the worst way! When TP was out nobody seemed to be able to run the O worth a damnnnnn.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 06-21-13, 06:12 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
You know it was coming, sooner or later....

SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA

Old 06-21-13, 07:18 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post

You know it was coming, sooner or later....

SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA SCOLA
Great, another guy that may spark WWIII with the Argentinians when he sucks.
Old 06-22-13, 12:53 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Old 06-22-13, 07:31 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
doesn't earn it in the playoffs. look up the stats.
Funny . I could have sworn Bonner had something to do with completing the journey to the playoffs. We have to go through more than 4 teams to get there. ****Edited for friendlier tone.

Last edited by SPURSGIRL4Life; 06-22-13 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-22-13, 08:16 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
No kidding.... Denial isn't just a river in Egypt.
Old 06-22-13, 08:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPURSGIRL4Life View Post
Funny . I could have sworn Bonner had something to do with completing the journey to the playoffs. We have to go through more than 4 teams to get there. ****Edited for friendlier tone.
Yea... Bonner had a great series against LA. Who we would have beat 4 on 5.
Old 06-22-13, 11:31 AM
The Master Baiter

I don't think you waive a guy who knows the system and is a great contributor in the long road to the playoffs to save a couple million (relatively speaking of course), unless you need that little bit of money to sign some good free agents. I don't think they do it unless they know they've got somebody coming.
Old 06-24-13, 01:15 AM
Herman Cain of the board

BONNER STILL SUCKS!
Old 06-24-13, 03:49 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Take it from Mike Monroe.
"A sub’s sub: According to the NBA, Matt Bonner on Sunday became just the third non-starter in league history to be perfect on at least seven 3-pointers in a game...".

Spurs Nation
Old 06-24-13, 11:39 AM

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-24-13, 01:28 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Bonner might be a good trade piece Thursday night because of his contract buyout.
Old 06-24-13, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Bonner might be a good trade piece Thursday night because of his contract buyout.
Great Point!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 06-24-13, 02:24 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I wouldn't be surprised to see Bonner traded, then waived and brought back this fall.
Old 06-24-13, 03:15 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bonner traded, then waived and brought back this fall.
I don't think he'd be allowed until the following season.
Memory says that he wouldn't be allowed to return to SA until the contract he was under at the trade would have expired. In other words, he can't come back any sooner than his contract runs.
Old 06-24-13, 03:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have a feeling this won't matter at all to the Spurs and they will keep him no matter what. I think they probably still see him as someone who knows the offense and gives them a small part of what they need (good 3pt shooting and occasional hilarious lucky drives to the basket) for the bargain price of 3.5 mil.

Just like Bonner, I think this applies to most of the team. I don't see too many changes and everything will be status quo with a few minor tweeks. The main one being saving some money on Jackson being gone, Manu coming back at a cheaper price (esp if they renounce and re-sign him), and re-signing Splitter at a price we all will be mad at.

So maybe the Spurs will sign one FA that will be slightly significant but it won't be anyone you expected or make headline news. We all know the drill... and it might not be a bad thing IF they can fill some of their weaknesses w/whoever will be drafted/signed/or became better over summer. We will see...
Old 06-24-13, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
I don't think he'd be allowed until the following season.
Memory says that he wouldn't be allowed to return to SA until the contract he was under at the trade would have expired. In other words, he can't come back any sooner than his contract runs.
I believe that is in a buyout scenario, not when the team receiving him elects not to pick up a team option.
Old 06-24-13, 05:23 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Griz -- you sure know how to rake Will over the coals...................
Old 06-24-13, 11:32 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Griz -- you sure know how to rake Will over the coals...................
I think Bonner at 3.9 million is way too high a salary for a guy who sat out Game 7 this year and Game 6 last year in the playoffs. 3.9 million might not seem like a lot of cap space but added to a healthy sum........it makes a big impact.

Last edited by WILLTHETHRILL; 06-25-13 at 12:14 AM.
Old 06-25-13, 12:02 AM

I don't think they'll pay him the full salary next year. I think they are trying to trade him as part of a piece to get a high quality player in return.

But look around at market value. Lots of teams pay more for less production, especially considering his skill set and the fact that he just shuts up and does his job. It's easy to underestimate how rare that is.
Old 07-01-13, 01:16 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Man I was so wrong on this.......I guess I need to eat a dumpster full of crow on this one. I'm shocked they didn't trade him or exercise the buyout. SHOCKED!
Old 07-02-13, 11:00 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Bonner Farewell tour 2014
Old 07-03-13, 12:28 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Amnesty Bonner has a great ring to it. If, it gives us enough to sign someone who can actually contribute.