News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-24-13, 11:01 AM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Sizing up Aron Baynes

There has been a lot of discussion about how tall Aron Baynes is. He is listed as 6' 10" but in Europe they measure you barefoot. It has been mentioned that in the NBA they measure you with your shoes on. In the past players have messed with their recorded height for different reasons.

At last nights game I got to compare. Baynes was standing next to Kawhi Leonard behind the bench. From my angle it looked as though Kawhi's head came up to Aron's neck or maybe his chin. I don't know how big Bayne's head is (funny thing to say) but mine is 9"(no jokes please).

My angle must have been a little off because Leonard is 6' 7" tall. However, even if my angle was off so my view was incorrect some it would be easy to accept that the difference in the two had to be at least 4 inches and could easily have been 5 inches.

Do the math. Baynes is NOT 6' 10".
Old 01-24-13, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Team Member

They had him at 6'10.25" without shoes on and 6'11.5" with, so I'd say he is a solid 6'11" guy by nba standards and not a 6'7" guy listed at 6'9". I hate it when teams do that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-13, 01:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Hopefully he isn't 6'5" like Blair, that's all I care about right now!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-24-13, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disciple View Post
My angle must have been a little off because Leonard is 6' 7" tall. However, even if my angle was off so my view was incorrect some it would be easy to accept that the difference in the two had to be at least 4 inches and could easily have been 5 inches.

Do the math. Baynes is NOT 6' 10".
depends on where your view was. if Kawhi was closer to you, then he'd look taller than whoever was farthest.

thing is, if he's 6'10" in Europe without shoes, no way would they mess up by a whole 3-4 inches. he's gonna be taller in the NBA than Europe with shoes. all you really need is his highlights in college and overseas to see how tall he is compared to other centers. it is pretty hard to try to measure up a guy without some form of measurement too.

remember Kawhi isn't wearing his sneakers off the court. he's probably wearing some taller shoes that would give him an inch or two in height while Bane was wearing normal sneakers.
Old 01-24-13, 01:48 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
depends on where your view was. if Kawhi was closer to you, then he'd look taller than whoever was farthest.

thing is, if he's 6'10" in Europe without shoes, no way would they mess up by a whole 3-4 inches. he's gonna be taller in the NBA than Europe with shoes. all you really need is his highlights in college and overseas to see how tall he is compared to other centers. it is pretty hard to try to measure up a guy without some form of measurement too.

remember Kawhi isn't wearing his sneakers off the court. he's probably wearing some taller shoes that would give him an inch or two in height while Bane was wearing normal sneakers.
Well, neither was dressed to play so either could be wearing something other than sneakers.

If I had heard no measurements or discussion and just had to guess by what I saw, I would say he is 7'.
Old 01-24-13, 02:04 PM
SR Team Goof

Sneakers or not, this guy still blocks out the sun to me and would fill a door way. To top that, he reminds me of Paul Bunyan minus Babe the Blue Ox. And in some of the pictures I've seen of him, the way his hands cover the ball, he might give Kawhi a run for his money on who has the bigger mits. He's a 'big' in my book. All that's left is --- can he play? I anxiously await to see for myself.
Old 01-24-13, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Sneakers or not, this guy still blocks out the sun to me and would fill a door way. To top that, he reminds me of Paul Bunyan minus Babe the Blue Ox. And in some of the pictures I've seen of him, the way his hands cover the ball, he might give Kawhi a run for his money on who has the bigger mits. He's a 'big' in my book. All that's left is --- can he play? I anxiously await to see for myself.
I saw the hand on the ball picture too, but I was wondering if the euro ball is a bit smaller the the nba ball? First plus.... He's not 6-8 playing center. And looks like he's a little more agile than they give him credit for. Hell, it took Tiago a bit to get to where he is now. But at least this guy played some college ball before he hit the euro league. Add the scheme he played over there mimics some of SA stuff, Brett Brown and Patty can sure help. Not to mention the Toro stints he'll get with De Colo and Joseph. Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 01-25-13, 01:06 AM
SpursReport Team Member

I think it is a good move, we spend nothing on him and it is not like we sign a red head for 3-4 a year.
Old 01-25-13, 06:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Well, neither was dressed to play so either could be wearing something other than sneakers.

If I had heard no measurements or discussion and just had to guess by what I saw, I would say he is 7'.
Excellent post and great observations!
Old 01-25-13, 02:09 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Listed at 6'10" on the Spurs website roster.
Old 01-25-13, 03:22 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Listed at 6'10" on the Spurs website roster.
So, I guess that means it's fact. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 01-25-13, 03:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

The actual height of a dude's head is just about the least important thing in post basketball.

Far more important statistics are vertical leap, and arm length. Those will cause differences of several inches between players of nearly similar height.

Weight and quickness are more important as well.

$
Old 01-25-13, 10:43 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
The actual height of a dude's head is just about the least important thing in post basketball.

Far more important statistics are vertical leap, and arm length. Those will cause differences of several inches between players of nearly similar height.

Weight and quickness are more important as well.

$

Ummmmmmmm, this is a conversation about his height. No one is debating about these other principals of play. Stay on point please.
Old 01-25-13, 10:45 PM
SpursReport Staff Writer

It's official.

Standing next to Matt Bonner tonight he was obviously taller.

Standing next to Tiago Splitter he was slightly taller.

Now that that is settled we can move on to new posts about everything else to do with his game.

Thanks for listening.
Old 01-25-13, 10:45 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Ummmmmmmm, this is a conversation about his height. No one is debating about these other principals of play. Stay on point please.
He did not look that big.