News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-13, 05:46 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

ProjectSpurs: Seattle Group Targeting our RC Buford to run Franchise!

Seattle group targeting Spurs' Buford to run franchise

Follow the San Antonio Spurs long enough and you'll see plenty of key coaches and front office executives get lured to other NBA teams in bigger roles. Sam Presti, Kevin Pritchard, Dell Demps, Lance Blanks and a host of coaches are now running other league franchises or patrolling the sidelines.

But the one person Spurs fans may have thought was safe is now being targeted to run the franchise a group of Seattle investors bought from the Maloofs, formerly the Sacramento Kings.

As if getting a team back to Seattle wasn't enough, the Seattle ownership group, led by Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, are now targeting Spurs general manager R.C. Buford to run their franchise. They are also reportedly interested in former Pacers president Larry Bird, according to Yahoo's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The new Seattle NBA ownership group has begun discussing possible candidates to run its franchise and has deliberated whether to target San Antonio Spurs general manager R.C. Buford and former Indiana Pacers president Larry Bird, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Buford is considered one of the preeminent executives in the NBA, responsible for shaping the roster for four Spurs championships and maintaining the league's model organization. Under Buford and president/coach Gregg Popovich, the Spurs have created an unmatched infrastructure of international scouting that's led to the drafting of numerous elite players, including Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Luis could.

Wojnarowski says it could take a lot to pry Buford away from San Antonio and the ownership group would need to offer a percentage of equity in the franchise and give Buford complete control in building and running his basketball operations team. Even at that, it may not be enough to get Buford to leave San Antonio.

If Buford did leave for a new challenge in Seattle, he obviously would leave big shoes to fill. While replacing Buford would be an impossible task, Assistant G.M. Scott Layden is perfectly capable of serving as a general manager after serving in several front office positions throughout his career, although Spurs fans likely do not want to think about losing Buford to anything but retirement.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-13, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Team Member

http://www.spursreport.com/forums/sp...ml#post1290626 (R.C.To Seattle?)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-13, 09:02 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

wtheck
Old 01-21-13, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

They would have to offer him a good % of the team to get him away because RC has everything else here along with a history with the team that would be hard to walk away from.

Its not like he is behind someone here so wants an opportunity, the only caveat on this is Pop would have a big say so if he really wants 100% control that may lure RC otherwise I see no reason why he would want to go.
Old 01-22-13, 12:23 AM
SR Team Goof

When you have an organization that has been voted the best managed franchise in all sports over multiple years, all of the other NBA teams want to be like San Antonio. So, it’s only natural to go after any segment of the Spurs management staff, from assistant coaches right up to the general manager positions to acquire that experience. If you look at any NBA staff out there, it’s most likely you’ll see former Spurs personnel somewhere in their management alignment. You know, we’ve often talked about in previous threads when Duncan decides to retire, what would Pop do? The same can be said of RC Buford. I hate to say this but when Duncan does decide to hang up the sneakers, and that decision is in the not so distant future, the Spurs organization could quite possibly have a vacuum at the top.
Old 01-22-13, 12:35 AM
SR Team Goof

Source: Buford will not be going anywhere

By Mike Monroe

PHILADELPHIA — Speculation that the proposed new owners of the Kings franchise will seek to pry R.C. Buford away from the Spurs when, and if, the purchase is approved and the team moves to Seattle has been met with bemusement within the Spurs’ organization.

A source within the organization said that the Spurs’ general manager “is not going anywhere.

“He loves living in San Antonio and loves what we have built here,” the source said. “You could probably find about 25 of the other 29 franchises that would like to have R.C., so the speculation is understandable, but he’s staying with the Spurs.”

A group led by Seattle hedge fund manager Christopher Hansen and Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer reached an agreement for the transfer of controlling interest in the Kings from the Maloof family.

The transaction “is subject to the approval of the NBA Board of Governors and has been referred to the Board’s committee process for review,” the league said in a statement.

Spurs owner Peter Holt is chairman of the NBA’s Board of Governors.

Buford is in his 22nd season with the Spurs, 18 of them as part of Gregg Popovich’s basketball operations department. In 2002, he was named Spurs general manager, and the title of president of sports franchises was added in 2008, giving him oversight of the Spurs, Silver Stars, Austin Toros and Rampage.

A great role model: The most outspoken of the Spurs, veteran forward Stephen Jackson, took time before Monday’s tipoff to reflect on the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King.

The Spurs-Sixers game was one of nine played on Martin Luther King Day, and the slain civil rights leader was remembered before all of them.

“It means a lot to me,” Jackson said of the league’s annual tribute to King. “I wouldn’t be the outspoken, dominant, comfortable and secure man that I am today if it wasn’t for Dr. Martin Luther King. A lot of African-American guys in the league wouldn’t be.

“Just to be able to play on this day and, really, just to be able to speak my opinion about this today means more than anything.”

Jackson said the inauguration of President Barack Obama made this Martin Luther King Day even more meaningful.

“God doesn’t make mistakes,” he said.

“I think all this is definitely a sign. It’s all happening for a reason. I think it’s the first time the inauguration falls on Martin Luther King Day, though it’s not his actual birthday. But it’s special to have (the president) beginning his second term on Martin Luther King Day.

“I’m just happy to be alive and able to see it and say I’m one of those who helped put President Obama back in the White House.”

Spurs Nation
Old 01-22-13, 02:38 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
They would have to offer him a good % of the team to get him away because RC has everything else here along with a history with the team that would be hard to walk away from.

Its not like he is behind someone here so wants an opportunity, the only caveat on this is Pop would have a big say so if he really wants 100% control that may lure RC otherwise I see no reason why he would want to go.

Good point Kager!

Pop would NOT let RC leave! At the same token I believe RC would not want to leave Pop & this very special Spurs Org. :tumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
When you have an organization that has been voted the best managed franchise in all sports over multiple years, all of the other NBA teams want to be like San Antonio. So, it’s only natural to go after any segment of the Spurs management staff, from assistant coaches right up to the general manager positions to acquire that experience. If you look at any NBA staff out there, it’s most likely you’ll see former Spurs personnel somewhere in their management alignment. You know, we’ve often talked about in previous threads when Duncan decides to retire, what would Pop do? The same can be said of RC Buford. I hate to say this but when Duncan does decide to hang up the sneakers, and that decision is in the not so distant future, the Spurs organization could quite possibly have a vacuum at the top.
Very well put alh1020!

True and could not said it better!

TimmyD is a huge reason and Pop that is the glue to RC and Spurs Org. Pop is everything! And Pop will NOT let RC leave IMO.
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!