SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   President Bonner? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118437-president-bonner.html)

td4mvp2k 01-20-13 08:27 AM

President Bonner?

In his role as vice president of the National Basketball Players Association, Spurs forward Matt Bonner has been part of the process of reviewing the organization’s business practices, including those of executive director Billy Hunter.

Hunter was criticized for poor business practices, including nepotism, in a recent report that was issued by a law firm hired by the union.

“We’re in the process of reviewing the report and trying to figure out what our next steps are,” Bonner said. “It’s not up to any one person. We’ve got to collectively figure out what we’re going to do.”

With union president Derek Fisher currently out of the NBA, it is possible a new president could be elected next month during All-Star weekend in Houston.

“Add that to the list of things we’re reviewing and figuring out,” Bonner said. “There’s a lot of people whose terms have expired, are expiring, aren’t in the league any more.

“The report wasn’t just about Billy Hunter. It was an overall business review on how we can be a better organization. Revisions to our governance is obviously a part of that, to make things more clear so we don’t have some of the sorts of situations we’ve had.”

What’s the likelihood of a President Bonner?

“I don’t think so,” he said. “It’s been quite the experience and I’ve learned a lot. One of the things I’ve learned is that it’s a lot more fun playing basketball on the court than putting on a suit and dealing with the other organizational stuff.

“It’s been a great educational experience and I’m going to take the lessons I’ve learned with me for the rest of my life.”

Mike Monroe/S.A. Express-News

td4mvp2k 01-20-13 08:47 AM

D-Will for Hunter Out!

Brooklyn Nets guard Deron Williams says change is needed at the top of the league’s players association and says NBPA chief Billy Hunter needs to go, reports CBSSports.com.

Hunter has been the National Basketball Player Association’s executive director for the past 16 years. He is the subject of a 469-page report released Thursday by independent law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison in which they questioned Hunter’s use of union finances and accused him of failure to properly manage conflicts of interest.

“I think change is needed, top to bottom,” Williams said. “I don’t think things were getting voted on like they should have been,” Williams said. “I’m sure there’s guys that are still with Billy, and some guys that aren’t. We’ve just got to figure out what the next step is.”

That independent law firm also said that Hunter’s 2010 contract extension, reportedly worth $18 million, was not voted on by the board of 30 player representatives.

Scooby Axson/SI

shelden 01-20-13 03:15 PM

Quote:

“I think change is needed, top to bottom,” Williams said. “I don’t think things were getting voted on like they should have been,” Williams said.
Is this the same speech he used when Avery was fired?

td4mvp2k 01-20-13 06:12 PM

He said he didnt see Avery being fired. Dont know if he did or not...

e_93gsx 01-20-13 11:03 PM

Of President of the United States!!? Yes!! And Scola can be his Vice-president!! Ohh of the NBPA. Ehh. sure.