SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Melo Out! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118352-melo-out.html)

td4mvp2k 01-10-13 01:04 AM

Melo Out!

New York Knicks Carmelo Anthony has been suspended 1 game by the NBA for his confrontation with Kevin Garnett.

Anthony attempted to confront Garnett following Monday's game at Madison Square Garden.

"There are no circumstances in which it is acceptable for a player to confront an opponent after a game," NBA executive vice president basketball operations Stu Jackson said in a statement obtained by ESPN on Wednesday. "Carmelo Anthony attempted to engage with Kevin Garnett multiple times after Monday's game and therefore a suspension was warranted."
"There's certain things that you just don't say to men, another man," Anthony told reporters Tuesday.

"It’s something you just don’t say to men, another man,” Anthony said following the incident, according to the Daily News. He doesn't think he deserved the suspension, however. “Nothing happened for me to be suspended. I wanted to talk to K.G. and I think it was something we both needed to get off our chests and see what really was the problem. There were no altercations. It was just words and a conversation we just needed to have.”

Garnett allegedly told Anthony, "You're wife tastes like Honey Nut Cheerios," during the heated Eastern Conference game, Black Sports Online first reported. Neither Anthony nor Garnett has confirmed or denied whether the "Honey Nut Cheerios" rumor is true.

After the supposed "Honey Nut Cheerios" jab, speculation flew that Vasquez cheated on Anthony with Garnett, according to the New York Post. A source told the Post that "La La has never slept with Garnett," but said she and Anthony are living separate lives.

"Guys, you know how this works," Rivers added. "You know how this works, a guy does something crazy like Carmelo did, and the way to get of trouble is to say someone else said this. It happens all the time. And what bugs me about this is that this is not a Kevin Garnett issue. And it was made into one and it shouldn't have been made into one."

AP

Mombear 01-10-13 05:23 AM

Can't believe the commissioner let them actually suspend one of his NY Knicks...

MRJONESIII 01-10-13 09:53 AM

Good for Melo..... Garnett is such a punk ass, one day someone is going to call his bluff and really see how tough he thinks he claims is! Go Melo Go!

SASBaller21 01-13-13 12:58 AM

I was reading about KG's trash talking in the past and I now understand why Timmy has such a hatred for KG. Its reported that back in 1999 on mother's day KG told Timmy "happy mother's day, motherf--ker!" if that's true then FKG!!

tenthousandaces 01-13-13 04:59 AM

^^^
If that's a real quote, then KG is one strange guy. At least he could try to be witty.

td4mvp2k 01-13-13 09:06 AM

KG On D!

The fury in Kevin Garnett’s on-court demeanor is legendary; it has followed him all the way from Mauldin, S.C., to Chicago, to Minneapolis, to Boston, and will take him to Springfield. It’s that fury that has motivated teammates and angered opponents, and it became a story line yet again when Garnett got into an on-court confrontation with the Knicks’ Carmelo Anthony that Anthony tried to carry onto the Celtics’ team bus.

Anthony had to be separated from Garnett as the Celtics were boarding the bus to the airport following their 102-96 win last Monday in New York. He was another victim of Garnett’s brilliant mind manipulation. Anthony’s concentration was unnerved by Garnett’s words.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers denied rumors that Garnett said something about Anthony’s wife, former MTV VJ La La Anthony, and Garnett will never reveal his secrets.

Off the court, there is no more mysterious or private man than Garnett. What occurs on the court, he keeps on the court. To opponents, he is a despised, unrelenting nuisance, using his full arsenal of mental tactics against even the most vulnerable of subjects. To teammates, he is a fiercely loyal, passionate partner, willing to sacrifice his own personal success to help those on his side.

“I care about everybody on this team,” said Garnett. “Obviously, I care about their well-being. Performance-wise, if I can ever help someone with things that come with this game, off the court, anything that I’ve experienced, then I’ll share that.

“I try to give myself to the team as much as I can. If you want to label that a mentor or big brother, then yeah, that’s me.”

There have been occasions when Garnett was working with younger players such as Jared Sullinger or Ryan Hollins and became irritated when cameramen attempted to record the session. Garnett constantly holds court as the players watch game video and speaks through every part of the breakdowns.

Of course, his words are drastically different on the court. Four-letter words often fill the air. He curses to motivate himself, to chastise himself, and to encourage teammates. There is such a stark contrast between the on-floor Garnett and the one who wishes media members happy holidays after interviews.

“Ever since I moved from the South to the North [as a 17-year-old], Northern people are a lot more aggressive than Southern people,” said Garnett about his move from South Carolina to Chicago as a high school senior. “One of the lessons I learned living in Chicago is no one’s going to give you anything and you have to take it. I’ve carried that mentality into the league with me. Sam Mitchell helped kind of massage that mentality: stand your ground, this a man’s league.”

Mitchell was Garnett’s first and most influential mentor, a 32-year-old veteran when Garnett joined the Timberwolves at age 19. They played seven seasons together before Mitchell retired at age 39 and eventually went on to coach the Raptors.

Asked if he is the Sam Mitchell to Jared Sullinger, Garnett said, “I’m more like a — yeah, never mind. I was going to say something but I won’t.

“When I came into the league, I was trying to prove something to myself and everybody who doubted me, and to this day I think I am still driven by those same things. I’ve never been short of encouragement. I’ve never been short of inspiration and things that’s going to get me going. I’ve always found an edge and been able to keep it.”

Mitchell concurred with Garnett, saying that he has never gotten over the doubt surrounding his entry to the NBA out of high school, that he is still trying to prove worthy of that selection — 18 years later.

“Kevin has always taken the attitude that he’s not good enough,” said Mitchell. “The great players feel that way. After 18 years playing in the NBA, why does he play so hard? Not the money. It’s the love of it and the fact that he’s still proving to himself that he deserves to be in this league and he has to go out and earn it and prove it every night.

“I think that’s what separates him from a lot of people. He still doesn’t feel he’s quite good enough.”

Mitchell credited Garnett with helping to extend his own career by being such an intense and passionate practice player.

“He gives me a lot of credit for things that he’s learned, and I helped him, yeah, but Kevin helped me also,” Mitchell said. “The reason I played until I was 39 years old was because of Kevin Garnett, because I had to be ready to practice against him every day.

“I spent my summers getting in shape, getting ready for him. I was worried about nobody else. He made me a better player and I hope I in turn did the same with him.”

Mitchell is still close to Garnett and was bothered by the rumors about Garnett’s remarks to Anthony.

“I don’t care what anybody says, there’s not a finer human being than I ever met in my life than Kevin Garnett,” said Mitchell. “There’s not a more gentle man or a teammate or a person than Kevin Garnett. Kevin Garnett does things for people that they don’t even know he did for them.

“He’s a giving person to a fault, and I don’t care what anybody says, unless he tells me in his own words, I’ll never believe he disrespected or said anything to anyone that would cross the line. I just don’t believe it. Unless he tells me himself, and he’s not a liar.

“Kevin’s not a trash-talker. Most of the time he’s talking, he’s talking to himself. I played with Kevin for [seven] years, I never heard him talk trash like that.

“Now, Larry Bird, he used to talk trash.”

Mitchell said that, because of his reputation, Garnett doesn’t receive the respect he deserves.

“Kevin Garnett is one of the greatest basketball players who ever played, and it bothers me that people try to use negative words about him,” Mitchell said. “What has he done to garner a reputation that he’s a bad guy? Because he played hard? Because he’s talking on defense? Because he’s on his teammates? Because he’s loyal to a fault?

“Because he wouldn’t shake a guy’s hand [Ray Allen’s] because they came there together to finish their career out and one guy left? He took it personal. That’s what kind of guy he is — he takes it personal. Does that make him a bad guy. No.”

Gary Washburn/Boston Globe

KAD 01-13-13 09:33 AM

I still don't like the guy and coudl care less about what kind of human he is to Sam Mitchel and his teamates - he's a big friggen punk as far as I can see and Carmelo should deck the brastard!!

td4mvp2k 01-13-13 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SASBaller21 (Post 1290237)
I was reading about KG's trash talking in the past and I now understand why Timmy has such a hatred for KG. Its reported that back in 1999 on mother's day KG told Timmy "happy mother's day, motherf--ker!" if that's true then FKG!!

Ya that is what KG would say and its not good.

td4mvp2k 01-14-13 03:09 PM

"Kevin Garnett called me 'White boy' for my first 3 years" said Spencer Hawes in a report.

Tas Melas/The Basketball Jones-The Score

clovisnmspurfan 01-14-13 03:24 PM

Melo just went up 2 favorability points.

b1gdon 01-14-13 04:48 PM

This Might Be Why Tim Duncan Hates Kevin Garnett

Quote:

Tim Duncan hates someone? The Tim Duncan that carries himself like the nicest guy in school? The one who doesn't worry about cliques and eats lunch with different people all the time and one time helped that kid with the glasses out of the trash can and told him to keep his chin up (probably)? That Tim Duncan? Why?

Some intense Googling reveals one potential source of the hatred...

NOTE: This is an unsubstantiated rumor and should be treated as such.

The story goes that on May 9, 1999 (Mother's Day), Tim Duncan's Spurs played Kevin Garnett's Timberwolves in the first round of the NBA playoffs. During that game, Garnett, who is known for his incessant need to trash talk and intense dislike for any sort of decency did what he does best. He went too far.

Just as Tim Duncan was going to take two free throws, Garnett barked at him:

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...37618230-0.jpg

Tim Duncan's mother famously died of breast cancer the day before his 14th birthday.

If that's true, Kevin Garnett is an evil dude.

td4mvp2k 01-14-13 04:50 PM

:shocked

td4mvp2k 01-14-13 07:02 PM

There was talk of the Spurs going for KG when he was a FA, so I dont think TD would of want that.

td4mvp2k 01-15-13 04:15 PM

Melo Spy?

James Dolan ordered MSG employees to record Carmelo Anthony to ascertain whether players were excessively trash talking him.

Tim Frank, the NBA's senior vice president of basketball operations, said the league has no issue with the recordings.

"There are no prohibitions against having audio equipment in the arena," Frank said.

The notion that Dolan was "spying" on Anthony is "flat-out wrong." The motive was to protect Anthony.

Ian Begley/ESPN

Kager 01-15-13 05:20 PM

My brother is a one eyed Celts fan and trys to say that just because he is high profile this is known, that all players trashtalk the same.

We have agreed to disagree because I have disliked KG's demenour his whole career, he is just an angry kid who says stupid things to try to get his way.

As has been said for TD to not like someone is huge so KG must have gone across the line multiple times.

He is an overpaid bully that turns B!tch as soon as someone calls him on his big words, I will be happy when he retires.

td4mvp2k 01-19-13 06:13 AM

Team Players?

The All-Star starters will not be announced officially for a couple of hours, but Kevin Garnett already knows he will, at the very least, be on the Eastern Conference team.

Which means sharing a dressing room with Carmelo Anthony, the Knick forward with whom he had to be separated during and after the Celts' visit to New York earlier this month.

But KG said today he doesn’t expect any problems.

"From my understanding, me and Melo are fine," said Garnett, who will take on the Knicks next Thursday in Boston. "I don't anticipate any friction. You know, I'm a man; he's a man. I don’t think that situation will boil over into this and spoil the All-Star weekend. I think we're much more professional than that.

"But you never know. I'm just speaking from my perspective, but I don’t anticipate that. We're both going there to enjoy the game. That's pretty much what it is."

Garnett and Anthony were assessed a double technical during the Celts' win in New York on January 7, with the latter seeking to confront KG after the game for comments he believed were out of line.

Steve Bulpett/Boston Herald