News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-13, 12:13 PM

Report: Spurs to sign center Aron Baynes

According to Euro-step.net, the San Antonio Spurs will sign Australian center Aron Baynes to a multiyear deal.

Baynes, who was playing for Slovenia team Union Olimpija, is a 260 lbs., 7-0 center and played at Washington State during college (2005-2009).

Click HERE to read the article and watch the video
Old 01-09-13, 03:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It's the Ozzie invasion people, I was just a scout for the main group.... We only need one more to match the French... It's like a basketball version of Risk
Old 01-09-13, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Here's a write up from the Washington State site.

"The big man will be headed back state side after spending some time playing ball in Slovenia.

A man Dick Bennett once described as a "big bear with a sore ass" will soon be making his NBA debut . Aron Baynes is reportedly a member of the San Antonio Spurs according to the excellent Spurs blog Pounding the Rock.

For those who haven't been following him closely, Baynes has spent his entire professional career in Europe, playing one season with Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania and is currently playing for Olimpija Ljublijana in Slovenia. He averaged nearly a double-double last year, dropping 13.8 points per game and grabbing 9.8 boards per contest.

Baynes has also spent some time representing his country. He played for Australia at the 2010 FIBA World Championships and the 2012 London Olympics. His contract with Olimpija Ljublijana was reportedly bought out for $400,000 and the deal he signed with the Spurs is rumored to be worth roughly $3 million over four years.

I had the pleasure of watching Baynes play for three years at WSU and he quickly became my favorite player. It wasn't because of his skill in the low block, his ability to body up on anyone in the conference or his gorgeous baby hook. Well, those things helped but what really endeared him to me was the man's intensity. Holy crap the dude looked ready to take on a freight train and times and I can't think of a soul that would've gotten in his way. Also, has he ever been called for a foul he thinks he committed? I've only seen him play in the Olympics since his graduation but I'd wager he still has the same "what the hell did I do?" look on his face every time he hears a whistle and an official points at him.

A big congratulations is in order to Aron Baynes. Not bad for a guy whose favorite topping for toast is Vegemite."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-13, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Also, has he ever been called for a foul he thinks he committed? I've only seen him play in the Olympics since his graduation but I'd wager he still has the same "what the hell did I do?" look on his face every time he hears a whistle and an official points at him.
Goodness! Sounds like the second coming of Tim Duncan.
Old 01-09-13, 03:47 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Hasn't he been playing in the Euro league equivalent of the NBA D-League? If that's true, it's hard to think that he's going to be of any real value anytime soon.
Old 01-09-13, 04:05 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelden View Post
Goodness! Sounds like the second coming of Tim Duncan.
Or the third coming of Bill Laimbeer.
Old 01-09-13, 04:46 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Look I have seen him play a bit and don't expect too much offence from him but he is a big agressive body that can board and moves well.

I think with Splitter moving to the starting five Pop just wants a back up that is a true 7 footer who will pick and roll with Nando or Manu, board and keep the scoring down till the first squad is back in..... and Baynes has the potential to do that.
Old 01-09-13, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-09-13, 05:34 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

On the bright side, he will likely match the Scola All-Star appearances.
Old 01-09-13, 05:55 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Or Jackie Butler's All-Star appearances
Old 01-09-13, 08:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If he can run the pick and roll like Splitter... He'll be fine, he seems to attack the rack and dunk instead of those more than likely layups that Tiago does..... Hopefully! Can he shoot?
Old 01-09-13, 08:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Can he shoot?
Yes he has a mid J

Last edited by td4mvp2k; 01-11-13 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 12:19 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post

or Bonners
Old 01-10-13, 04:51 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

or your mom's.

Old 01-10-13, 12:34 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
is he still in the league
Old 01-10-13, 01:45 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

splitter in place of lord scola? another brilliant FO move??
Old 01-10-13, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
splitter in place of lord scola? another brilliant FO move??
i would say yes. Splitter is defending and rebounding more than Scola probably ever would and when i mean rebounding, it's fighting for position and getting the ones you're not supposed to. Scola would be a better offensive option though.
Old 01-10-13, 04:18 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
is he still in the league
Kind of. Technically.

Phoenix.
Old 01-10-13, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
or your mom's.
Are you implying that Scola's basketball skills are on par with a 5" 70 year old woman?

I'll give you that.
Old 01-10-13, 06:23 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Finally, a legit big man signing.
Old 01-10-13, 06:55 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I like the way he dunked that in the clip!