SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Report: Spurs to sign center Aron Baynes (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118219-report-spurs-sign-center-aron-baynes.html)

Jose_TheGenius 01-09-13 01:13 PM

Report: Spurs to sign center Aron Baynes

According to Euro-step.net, the San Antonio Spurs will sign Australian center Aron Baynes to a multiyear deal.

Baynes, who was playing for Slovenia team Union Olimpija, is a 260 lbs., 7-0 center and played at Washington State during college (2005-2009).

Click HERE to read the article and watch the video

Kager 01-09-13 04:00 PM

It's the Ozzie invasion people, I was just a scout for the main group.... We only need one more to match the French... It's like a basketball version of Risk

Spurd_On 01-09-13 04:21 PM

Here's a write up from the Washington State site.

"The big man will be headed back state side after spending some time playing ball in Slovenia.

A man Dick Bennett once described as a "big bear with a sore ass" will soon be making his NBA debut . Aron Baynes is reportedly a member of the San Antonio Spurs according to the excellent Spurs blog Pounding the Rock.

For those who haven't been following him closely, Baynes has spent his entire professional career in Europe, playing one season with Lietuvos Rytas in Lithuania and is currently playing for Olimpija Ljublijana in Slovenia. He averaged nearly a double-double last year, dropping 13.8 points per game and grabbing 9.8 boards per contest.

Baynes has also spent some time representing his country. He played for Australia at the 2010 FIBA World Championships and the 2012 London Olympics. His contract with Olimpija Ljublijana was reportedly bought out for $400,000 and the deal he signed with the Spurs is rumored to be worth roughly $3 million over four years.

I had the pleasure of watching Baynes play for three years at WSU and he quickly became my favorite player. It wasn't because of his skill in the low block, his ability to body up on anyone in the conference or his gorgeous baby hook. Well, those things helped but what really endeared him to me was the man's intensity. Holy crap the dude looked ready to take on a freight train and times and I can't think of a soul that would've gotten in his way. Also, has he ever been called for a foul he thinks he committed? I've only seen him play in the Olympics since his graduation but I'd wager he still has the same "what the hell did I do?" look on his face every time he hears a whistle and an official points at him.

A big congratulations is in order to Aron Baynes. Not bad for a guy whose favorite topping for toast is Vegemite."

shelden 01-09-13 04:42 PM

Quote:

Also, has he ever been called for a foul he thinks he committed? I've only seen him play in the Olympics since his graduation but I'd wager he still has the same "what the hell did I do?" look on his face every time he hears a whistle and an official points at him.
Goodness! Sounds like the second coming of Tim Duncan. :wink

MichaelWi101 01-09-13 04:47 PM

Hasn't he been playing in the Euro league equivalent of the NBA D-League? If that's true, it's hard to think that he's going to be of any real value anytime soon.

alh1020 01-09-13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelden (Post 1289850)
Goodness! Sounds like the second coming of Tim Duncan. :wink

Or the third coming of Bill Laimbeer.

Kager 01-09-13 05:46 PM

Look I have seen him play a bit and don't expect too much offence from him but he is a big agressive body that can board and moves well.

I think with Splitter moving to the starting five Pop just wants a back up that is a true 7 footer who will pick and roll with Nando or Manu, board and keep the scoring down till the first squad is back in..... and Baynes has the potential to do that.

Kiko Martinez 01-09-13 05:58 PM

http://www.cinesnob.net/wp-content/u...aronbaynes.jpg

katyspursfan 01-09-13 06:34 PM

On the bright side, he will likely match the Scola All-Star appearances.

maxrebo1975 01-09-13 06:55 PM

Or Jackie Butler's All-Star appearances

MRJONESIII 01-09-13 09:22 PM

If he can run the pick and roll like Splitter... He'll be fine, he seems to attack the rack and dunk instead of those more than likely layups that Tiago does..... Hopefully! Can he shoot?

td4mvp2k 01-09-13 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRJONESIII (Post 1289878)
Can he shoot?

Yes he has a mid J

WILLTHETHRILL 01-10-13 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1289866)

or Bonners

Mombear 01-10-13 05:51 AM

or your mom's. :hat

MichaelWi101 01-10-13 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1289866)

is he still in the league :yikes

JuanCaca 01-10-13 02:45 PM

splitter in place of lord scola? another brilliant FO move??

Jose_TheGenius 01-10-13 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanCaca (Post 1290066)
splitter in place of lord scola? another brilliant FO move??

i would say yes. Splitter is defending and rebounding more than Scola probably ever would and when i mean rebounding, it's fighting for position and getting the ones you're not supposed to. Scola would be a better offensive option though.

katyspursfan 01-10-13 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1290059)
is he still in the league :yikes

Kind of. Technically.

Phoenix.

katyspursfan 01-10-13 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mombear (Post 1290033)
or your mom's. :hat

Are you implying that Scola's basketball skills are on par with a 5" 70 year old woman?

I'll give you that.

grizzly_bexar 01-10-13 07:23 PM

Finally, a legit big man signing.

KAD 01-10-13 07:55 PM

I like the way he dunked that in the clip!