SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   NBA fines Mark Cuban $50,000 for twitter comments! (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/118211-nba-fines-mark-cuban-50-000-twitter-comments.html)

spurscrazed 01-09-13 01:21 AM

NBA fines Mark Cuban $50,000 for twitter comments!

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports
LINK

The NBA fined Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban $50,000 for his Twitter comments about league officiating, NBA spokesman Tim Frank told USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday.

After the Mavericks' 99-96 home loss to the New Orleans Hornets Saturday, Cuban – just back from a vacation at his Cayman Islands home – tweeted,
Quote:

"Im sorry NBA fans. Ive tried for 13 years to fix the officiating in this league and I have failed miserably. Any Suggestions ? I need help."
After losing to the Hornets, Cuban met referee Bill Kennedy at halfcourt and tried to make his point. It is unclear what bothered Cuban about the officiating in that game. The Mavericks were called for 20 fouls, the Hornets 10, and Dallas shot 16 free throws to the Hornets' 13.

Cuban was also unhappy about the officiating after Dallas' loss to the Miami Heat on Jan. 2, when referees awarded an out-of-bounds ball to the Heat. Cuban thought the ball went out of bounds off Heat guard Dwyane Wade.

It was Cuban's first fine since February, when the league docked him $75,000 for criticizing officials after a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder. Cuban has racked up nearly $2 million in NBA fines since buying the Mavericks in 2000.

WILLTHETHRILL 01-09-13 01:28 AM

A new way to fine Cuban.....awesome!lol

spurscrazed 01-09-13 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1289769)
A new way to fine Cuban.....awesome!lol

Yeah.. Cuban had to knew somewhat that he was taking his chance with that tweet and decided what the heck, I might as well get fined...Take one to motivate his team...lol@ Cube!

Those pesky HORNETS were playing very hard PHYSICAL D vs. Spurs on Monday so they did the same thing vs. Dallas Saturday night probably. The DIFF was that Mavs were at HOME Saturday night while Spurs were on the road Monday night!!!!

td4mvp2k 01-09-13 04:38 AM

Make his fines bigger if he wont stop the bad talk of the league.

td4mvp2k 01-20-13 08:30 AM

NBA fines Marion!

The NBA announced Saturday that Mavericks forward Shawn Marion has been fined $25,000 for “public criticism of officiating” following a 117-114 overtime loss to the Thunder on Friday night.

Marion was upset because Thunder All-Star forward Kevin Durant, who notched a career-high 52 points, shot 21 free throw attempts.

“It’s hard to beat anybody when you’re playing five-on-eight,” Mavs small forward Shawn Marion said, a not-so-subtle reference to Durant’s 21 free throw attempts, all of which he made. “That’s nuts. Some of them were fouls. Some of them were questionable. But it is what it is.”

The Thunder attempted 36 free throws; the Mavericks attempted 30. Oklahoma City improved to 32-8 with the win; Dallas dropped to 17-24 with the loss.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban was fined $50,000 earlier this month for criticizing the league’s officials following two other overtime losses.

“I’m sorry NBA fans,” Cuban wrote on his Twitter account. “I’ve tried for 13 years to fix the officiating in this league and I have failed miserably. Any suggestions? I need help.”

Marion, 34, is averaging 10.4 points, 8.1 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game for the Mavericks this season. He is on the books for $8.4 million.

Ben Golliver/SI

td4mvp2k 01-20-13 08:46 AM

Like Owner Like Player!

MichaelWi101 01-20-13 10:55 AM

As much as I hate the mavs and cuban, he's right, the officiating in the league is and has always been inconsistent at best.

It's been shown time and time again that refs and the league office play favorites, as Spurs fans we've seen it first hand with Joey Crawford and some of the others, at least cuban has the guts to call them out on it.

bills0 01-20-13 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1290579)
As much as I hate the mavs and cuban, he's right, the officiating in the league is and has always been inconsistent at best.

It's been shown time and time again that refs and the league office play favorites...

Interesting. What are you referring to? Shown by whom? Where?

MichaelWi101 01-20-13 06:03 PM

Here's One - "In the summer of 2007, former National Basketball Association (NBA) referee Tim Donaghy was found to have bet on games that he officiated."

Here's another link
Researchers' NBA officiating study detects biases, but not necessarily the ones fans suspect | OregonLive.com
"But the same study found that NBA referees tend to favor home teams, teams trailing in a game and teams trailing in a playoff series"

"Still, the study concludes that the detected referee biases, though probably unintentional, could increase the league's revenues through additional ticket sales and television appearances by reducing the number of blowout games and making televised games more compelling. "

And there are many more stories out there. In fact, during the playoffs watch the line from Vegas before the referees are announced and then after they are announced.

It doesn't have to be fouls called, it can be fouls not called, violations called and not called.

And according to the NY Times a study from the University of Pennsylvania stated that from 1991 to 2004 - white refs called a higher percentage of fouls against black players than against white players and that black refs called a higher percentage of fouls against white players than black (although not as great)

Now of course Stern and the NBA immediately call every study into question and challenge the credibility and so a lot of folks buy into the NBA line.

I've watched enough games over the past 30 years to know that league favorites very, very rarely foul out and unless it's obvious they can get away with murder.

MichaelWi101 01-20-13 06:24 PM

And if you have a head for statistics, there's a study by MIT released in 2012 http://www.sloansportsconference.com...02_updated.pdf

That takes an in-depth look at 'Make Up' foul calls.

Refs are human, they're going to have biases.

Guapo 01-21-13 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1290598)
And if you have a head for statistics, there's a study by MIT released in 2012 http://www.sloansportsconference.com...02_updated.pdf

That takes an in-depth look at 'Make Up' foul calls.

Refs are human, they're going to have biases.

So true. Thanks for the link and the insight!

td4mvp2k 02-02-13 07:23 PM

Like Owner Like Coach!

Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Saturday for criticizing the officiating after Dallas' loss to Golden State.

With the Mavs trailing 98-97 on Thursday, Brandan Wright had the ball knocked away while going up for a shot, and no foul was called. The Warriors went on to win 100-97 at home.

Carlisle was particularly frustrated because the NBA had acknowledged the referees made a mistake in the final seconds of a loss at Portland two days earlier. O.J. Mayo was called for a charge with 1.5 seconds left in a tie game, and the league conceded the next day it should have been a blocking foul, which would have given the Mavericks two free throws to try to take the lead. Instead, LaMarcus Aldridge hit a buzzer-beater to win it.

"The game came down to the call that wasn't made. Brandan Wright got hit on the arm," Carlisle said Thursday. "And it's obvious. And it's two (games) in a row. ... And I'm very concerned about what's happening at the end of games with the officials. I can only be honest."

On Saturday, Carlisle sent a text message to reporters saying he spoke to the league office and agreed with the fine. He said the comments were "not appropriate."

NBA.com