News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 01-04-13, 11:45 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs’ Neal plays in pain

LINK

By Jeff McDonald

Spurs guard Gary Neal would like to report missing the final four games of December worked wonders for his strained right calf.

But it did not.

Still bothered by soreness and stiffness two games into his return, Neal has devised another plan.

“Just got to find a way to play through it,” Neal said.

Neal, who is averaging a career high 10.7 points, went on the shelf after leaving a Dec. 23 win over Dallas complaining of discomfort in his calf.

He came back for the Spurs’ just-completed back-to-back against Milwaukee and New York, and is expected to be available for tonight’s game at the AT&T Center against Philadelphia.

Neal’s condition is similar to the one that cost former Spurs guard Brent Barry three weeks during the 2007-08 season. Neal says Barry told him sitting out did little to improve his health then.

“That’s the whole dilemma,” Neal said. “I don’t want to miss a month, come back and it still hurts. Then you’ve got to worry about getting your conditioning back on top of it. If you’re not going to make it worse, you might as well play.”

Neal totaled 19 points and made 6 of 16 shots in two games off the bench since returning from the injured list. When not in the game, Neal sits with a heat pack strapped to his calf.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said he will continue to look for ways to get Neal on the floor behind Tony Parker at point guard and Danny Green and Manu Ginobili at shooting guard.

That task might be a bit simpler if the sprained ankle Stephen Jackson suffered Thursday in New York keeps him out for long.

“We try to get (Neal) on the floor when we can,” Popovich said. “It’s been hard to get him as many minutes as he probably deserves.”

IT IS ON BABY!!!!SPURS PO TO DIE FOR!
PHENOMENAL TOTAL CONTROLL WITH SPURS BASKETBALL!
LETS DO IT BABY! NO BS!! NO MERCY! ONE GAME AT A TIME. ONE SERIES AT A TIME.
WE WILL CLOSE THEM ALL!!!
FIRST ROUND VICTIMS = DOS MAVS!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-13, 12:13 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

wow... that last quote seems like offering for trade...
The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinsons face, get a rise out of Alonzo Mourning, but when I went at Tim hed look at me like he was bored and then say, Hey, Shaq, watch this shot right here off the glass. Shaquille O'Neal on Tim duncan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-13, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
wow... that last quote seems like offering for trade...
If Jack is out for long then we see more Neal most def. I doubt we trade him now though. But who knows.

My guess we will see more of Nando since the express news reporter said that Nando is coming back from Toros in for Saturday's game vs. 76ers.

Who I want to see a whole lot more is Mills right now after knowing how hurt Neal is.

Old 01-05-13, 05:07 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

If it's to be a trade, Neal and Blair (or Bonner) are low-cost and could bring something interesting. Maybe that "foreign kid" Pop referred to the other day.
Old 01-06-13, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
If it's to be a trade, Neal and Blair (or Bonner) are low-cost and could bring something interesting. Maybe that "foreign kid" Pop referred to the other day.
Blair or Bonner + Neal for good BETTER BIG can be a good.

I am not sure Spurs can bring that "foreign kid" mid season though or can they?