News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-12, 10:52 AM
SpursReport Team Member

How different would Cousins be under CIA POP?

When asked how the Spurs would handle
someone like Cousins on NBA GameTime
Brent Barry said "To be honest with you,
they would never take on something like
that."
Why not?
Brent also said he hasn't had
Veteran leadership since he's been
In the league. Pop, Timmy, & Manu
would straighten him out.
I don't understand why organizations
feel like they have to cater to these
young players that haven't proven
anything. Its frustrating to me as
a fan to see a franchise being held
hostage by a player and mess with
Coaches livelihood.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-12, 12:17 PM
Herman Cain of the board

As a player the guy has the talent no question. Make no mistake but him in SA would be like Rodman versus Pop 2. It wouldn't work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-27-12, 12:28 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

I assume that Brent knows what he's talking about and that Cousins is not a possibility for the Spurs.

That's a shame. The kid has all the talent in the world, and, as I understand it, Duncan is one of his heroes. If the Kings are ready to give up on him and if Pop is willing, Tiago, Neal and some filler (SJax' expiring contract) might get a trade done.
Old 12-27-12, 12:44 PM
The Master Baiter

I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Rodman behaved in Chicago because he was around guys who had won before. I would hope it would be the same for Cousins in SA. I think what Barry might have meant was that they wouldn't put up with his continuing antics. One shot, that's it. But Cousins is only making 4 million this year, then 5 and 6.5 million the next two years. The Spurs don't have to give up much for him if the Kings were desperate to get rid of him.
Old 12-27-12, 12:46 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

So different he'd probably win us a title, then quit basketball to join the Peace Corps and pursue a degree in French literature.
Old 12-27-12, 12:54 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing him here. Rodman behaved in Chicago because he was around guys who had won before. I would hope it would be the same for Cousins in SA. I think what Barry might have meant was that they wouldn't put up with his continuing antics. One shot, that's it. But Cousins is only making 4 million this year, then 5 and 6.5 million the next two years. The Spurs don't have to give up much for him if the Kings were desperate to get rid of him.
I had no idea his contract was so reasonable. Antics aside, that makes him pretty damned desirable.
Old 12-27-12, 04:10 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennaspur1 View Post
I had no idea his contract was so reasonable. Antics aside, that makes him pretty damned desirable.
Rookie contracts.
Gotta love 'em.
Old 12-27-12, 07:47 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The problem with the contact situation and trading SJax, Neal, Bonner of whoever.... Cousins is owed about 7 million for the remainder of his contract. So even if the Spurs had the right bodies to trade, the price tags don't fit. The only way would be Leonard and a high draft pick plus maybe Tiago. But the kings would have to send another body with that. And we all know, Leonard is like Duncan.... Untouchable at his price tag!
Old 12-27-12, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

uh... that means our usual package of bonner, blair, neal cant get it done? :-(

lolol seriusly... tiago? leonard? why that big price if they are getting rid of him?? maybe diaw and neal or decolo can get it done...
Old 12-27-12, 10:46 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The thread title was a question on 'how different would Cousins be under CIA POP?'.

My guess is that Pop would assign him to D-league on day one and trade him before he even realized what has hit him.
Old 12-28-12, 12:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
uh... that means our usual package of bonner, blair, neal cant get it done? :-(

lolol seriusly... tiago? leonard? why that big price if they are getting rid of him?? maybe diaw and neal or decolo can get it done...
No, not serious... But if you're going to get something potential good, you can't give up spare parts. And money wise only Leonard works. Because the Kings aren't going to give up that kind of talent for nothing, headcase or not.
Old 12-28-12, 12:26 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_believer View Post
The thread title was a question on 'how different would Cousins be under CIA POP?'.

My guess is that Pop would assign him to D-league on day one and trade him before he even realized what has hit him.
agreed!

Old 12-28-12, 02:02 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

So we are willing to give up proven pieces for an unknown? Sure he has talent. If we can get him without giving up a player I would go for it.
Old 12-28-12, 03:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If he was in SA, Cousins would keep Blair company in the dog house.
Old 12-28-12, 04:19 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan View Post
So we are willing to give up proven pieces for an unknown? Sure he has talent. If we can get him without giving up a player I would go for it.
Proven pieces for unlimited upside is pretty much a good deal normally. Problem is his attitude. The Kings won't give him away.
Old 12-28-12, 04:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
As a player the guy has the talent no question. Make no mistake but him in SA would be like Rodman versus Pop 2. It wouldn't work.
When was Rodman vs. Pop 1?

Wait,

Maybe this was Rodman vs. Pop 1

http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...2&slug=1941304

Last edited by choppsboy; 12-28-12 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Answered my own question.
Old 12-28-12, 04:39 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
Rodman played for the Spurs when Pop was the GM back in the early-mid 90's. Rodman was acquired before Pop took the job. Bob Bass traded for Rodman. Bass was the GM before Pop. Pop and Rodman didn't get along at all from the get go.
Old 12-29-12, 12:47 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Cousins is not Rodman. Rodman was a flake even in his days in Detroit. He could rebound, but he didn't participate much beyond that. Even then, good coaching and teammates kept him in line.

Cousins is an all-round talent who's simply been in a lousy atmosphere ever since he's turned pro. Who on that team or on that coaching staff is strong enough to contain him?
Old 12-29-12, 01:34 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Cousins is not Rodman. Rodman was a flake even in his days in Detroit. He could rebound, but he didn't participate much beyond that. Even then, good coaching and teammates kept him in line.

Cousins is an all-round talent who's simply been in a lousy atmosphere ever since he's turned pro. Who on that team or on that coaching staff is strong enough to contain him?
* A flake who is in the hall of fame.
Old 12-29-12, 02:14 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

a factor to cobsider...is that pop is wiser and experienced now... and overall, franchise is more stablished and mature than in rodmans tenuure...

Last edited by JuanCaca; 12-29-12 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-29-12, 03:16 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
* A flake who is in the hall of fame.
Indeed he is.

I'd argue that superior coaching from strong and respected figures like Chuck Daly and PJax (not to mention alpha dog teammates) helped get him there. Rodman harnessed his more self-destructive tendencies when surrounded by that level of discipline.

Unless he's irredeemably crazy, would Cousins respond at least as well under Pop?
Old 12-29-12, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

You'd probably need a psych eval to figure out what Cousins problem is. If he has something deep-seated, like a personality disorder, it will be very difficult for any coach to be able to control his behavior.

Last edited by maldoror; 12-31-12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-31-12, 10:47 AM
SpursReport Team Member

A Triple Double!!! This guy needs to be saved from himself!!! Ever since this guy has been in the league, I knew he could be GREAT! Somebody needs to get him some veteran guys to slap him straight every now & then. I can't stand great talent being misused!
Old 12-31-12, 01:01 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Are you serious??? Rodman was not a flake! The guy just became too selfish and distracted to be any worth.

You say he didn't participate beyond reboundin? That's incorrect. He may not have been a scorer in the NBA but Rodman was a VERY EFFECTIVE defensive player. The guy was a two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year. Also, it's not like he couldn't score. He just chose not to. After all, the guy's numbers coming outta college were better than Cousins' - 25.7 points and 15.7 rebounds.
Old 12-31-12, 04:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Real View Post
Are you serious??? Rodman was not a flake! The guy just became too selfish and distracted to be any worth.

You say he didn't participate beyond reboundin? That's incorrect. He may not have been a scorer in the NBA but Rodman was a VERY EFFECTIVE defensive player. The guy was a two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year. Also, it's not like he couldn't score. He just chose not to. After all, the guy's numbers coming outta college were better than Cousins' - 25.7 points and 15.7 rebounds.

"Also, it's not like he couldn't score. He just chose not to."

That's the sort of thing to which I was referring.
Old 01-03-13, 12:13 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Wait,

Maybe this was Rodman vs. Pop 1

Sports | GM Tells Rodman He Must Grow Up | Seattle Times Newspaper

Good find on that article.