News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-12, 06:57 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Mavericks Waive Derek Fisher At His Request!!

With Derek Fisher gone, the Mavericks will turn to Douglas-Roberts | Dallas Mavericks Blog

"The Mavericks have waived point guard Derek Fisher, who suffered a knee injury last week.

Update: The move came at Fisher's request as he has released the following statement via Twitter:

The Mavericks also are expected to make a move to fill Fisher's spot on the roster.

Fisher's statement:

"In Tuesday's game against Philadelphia, I suffered an injury to my patellar tendon. The recovery time will be approximately two weeks. With this news and the difficulty I have been having being away from my family, I have asked the organization to waive me so I can return home.

"(Mavericks owner) Mark Cuban has been extremely supportive and has granted me this request. I cannot say enough good things about this organization. From Mark, to Coach (Rick) Carlisle, to the players on the Mavericks' team, I sincerely thank them for the opportunity."
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-12, 07:39 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Look for him to be back on the lakers roster. Second time in his career he's done this. If not more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-12, 07:47 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

He's such a smuck
Old 12-22-12, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Look for him to be back on the lakers roster. Second time in his career he's done this. If not more.
Kobe's definitely going to want him back, but with Nash and Meeks there's not any space for him nor would he fit with D'Antoni's system.

i think he goes to Miami.
Old 12-22-12, 09:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He sux and so do the Mavs!
Old 12-22-12, 11:02 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
YEP, I just said this online.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 12-22-12, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
He's such a smuck
Yeah his antics DOES get old after all...

Hop on the next train Fish boy cause this Mavs team sure as he!! ain't going no where!

I like how he has the family excuse all the time.... Now "I need to be near my family" before it was "My daughter is super sick and she needs medical treatments in that are" so teams can feel sorry for him...

Let's see where he ends up next...

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 12-23-12, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I just cannot believe that this guy's EXTREMELY selfish behaviour continues to succeed in the NBA!! What a super DUPER JERK!!
Old 12-23-12, 01:09 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What Ever!
Old 12-23-12, 01:11 PM

It's interesting that he only seems to have this issue when the team he's on sucks....

Everything was OK last year with the Thunder
Old 12-23-12, 06:32 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

didnt make his family move b/c his daugther follow close medical care with doctors in la, then he misses his family and wants to go back.. omg what a f'kn schmuck. get ur priorities straight. this guy is a ultimate douche.
Old 12-25-12, 12:06 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Orale'

Laker for Life, Holmes!
Old 12-25-12, 12:29 AM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Orale'

Laker for Life, Holmes!

Old 12-25-12, 05:40 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

I still don't think you can hit a turn-around jumper in .4 seconds. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 12-25-12, 01:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark21horse View Post
I still don't think you can hit a turn-around jumper in .4 seconds. IT'S NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!
Stern and the NBA didnt think so and did nothing about it.
Old 12-26-12, 01:48 AM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Yep, when we hit one Danny Greens did not count at .5 although he got his off faster! He did not even turn around to shoot. .4 though seemed to count. THANK GOD THE Basketball GODS and Pistons that year handled that and killed them in those finals leaving them hurt lol! That part there was fun!
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 12-26-12, 11:12 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzarector7 View Post
Yep, when we hit one Danny Greens did not count at .5 although he got his off faster! He did not even turn around to shoot. .4 though seemed to count. THANK GOD THE Basketball GODS and Pistons that year handled that and killed them in those finals leaving them hurt lol! That part there was fun!
Is there a video for Green's shot?
Old 12-26-12, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...ShJ8Sbbdk&NR=1
Old 12-26-12, 05:00 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
[Edit] It's hard to make an issue of this as the clock is supposed to stop as soon as the ball goes through the hoop on a make and that happened at .8. So if the refs had done their job and looked at the replay on the previous make they would have set the clock at .8 and not .4.

Last edited by maldoror; 12-26-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 05:45 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

The timekeepers are not from the home town team. As I understand it correctly, they have these people come in from out of town.

Old 12-26-12, 06:24 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
The timekeepers are not from the home town team. As I understand it correctly, they have these people come in from out of town.
Yes, that's true, they changed this a while ago. I guess the point that it was a neutral timekeeper is still relevant as well as what time should have been on the clock (.8 vs .4).
Old 12-26-12, 10:11 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldoror View Post
Yes, that's true, they changed this a while ago. I guess the point that it was a neutral timekeeper is still relevant as well as what time should have been on the clock (.8 vs .4).
I think it comes down to human reaction time in both cases. I went and watched the clip of both shots. And in real time, the ball going through the hoop and the clock stopping is almost instantaneous after Duncan hit his shot. Unfortunately, the same goes for Fisher's shot. Of course, if you slow it down, yes .4 seconds ran off after TD's shot, and the clock started late on Fisher's shot.

But there's a lot of "what ifs" here. If LA did have .8, they may have called a different play that wouldn't have had the same result. But to go to the original comment on this subject, I also don't think it's truly possible to hit that shot. A turnaround jumper where he got both feet on the floor to jump, no.
Old 12-27-12, 12:10 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Fisher's shot should have never counted in 04'. Also Fisher fouled Brent Barry's 3 pointer in the 08' WCFs too! Again his shot was impossible to catch turn an shoot in less then half second in a rushed regular shooting motion. Facing the basket...........that's possible.
Old 12-27-12, 09:03 PM

Yep!

.04 should never have been in the books as a good call, Shame on the NBA refs and head of officials for considering it as a good call.

That Game 5 of the West Conf Finals in San Antonio 2004 with that one messed up mistake cost the Spurs that series and title that year.

After Timmy hit that dagger that Fish attempt was not in time.. No way!

The Spurs got jabbed in 2008 game 4 in west conf finals Again just as sharp as a newly sharpened Dagger Fish fouled Brent Barry on the 3 Point attempt....Sadly the Lakers got that abusive manipulating Joey Crawford and his fellow Mark Wunderlich gave Lakers all their help on that series to get over us...But the Basketball Gods made Lakers lose in the finals both those years whether to Detroit or to !!!!!

You can see the video again to remind yourself that was a freaking foul!
Spurs could have tied that game and gone to OT.

Now both of those years NBA officials F--ked with the Spurs BUT Lakers got that Karma right back at them in the finals from Celtics and Pistons.

Not that the NBA is fixed but those WEAK Arse Refs need to be Rooted out and never sent to NBA Playoff Games ever ever....Those Bad refs are the kind who would make calls based on their emotional sense and never on their scientific concrete evidence they saw in their eyes especially if it was a game deciding call.

Meanwhile Fish is not going right now to the Lakers yet!

UPDATE on Fisher:

Lakers see what he is now and they aren’t picking him or anyone up, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.

Tweet from Marc Spears yesterday..

Quote:
Marc J. Spears

@SpearsNBAYahoo
Lakers aren't interested in opening a roster spot to acquire Derek Fisher, Kenyon Martin or any other free agent, a source told Y! Sports.
26 Dec 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite

Maybe Fish is considering retirement after all if Lakers or Clippers or Miami never picked him up.....
Hoopsworld.com Alex Kennedy wrote this yesterday..

Derek Fisher Considering Retirement
LINK

Derek Fisher is considering retirement, according to sources close to the situation.

Sources say that the 38-year-old Fisher has asked the Dallas Mavericks to release him from his contract, which he signed last month. An official announcement is expected soon.

After spending several weeks with the Mavericks, Fisher realized that he no longer wanted to live the NBA lifestyle. He didn’t want to put further wear and tear on his body or spend more time away from his family. When he suffered an injury to his patellar tendon that would have sidelined him for several weeks, that was the final straw.

The five-time champion is satisfied with everything he has accomplished over the course of his 17-year career, according to sources. Fisher tweeted that he hasn’t ruled out a return to the NBA, but sources say he is seriously contemplating retirement.

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 12-27-12, 09:29 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

he is going to Miami, hopping ride kings shoulders for another ring...
Old 02-25-13, 12:57 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Looks like he's at it again...just as many had predicted. Ascending from the sewers yet again for another ride on KD's coattails. Guess his "family" is going to be just fine without him again.

Y! SPORTS
Old 02-25-13, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Derek fisher is a piece of ****
Old 02-25-13, 02:49 PM

Guess he figured he could crawl out from under his rock and try to ride KD'S coattails through the end of the year and then he'll announce his retirement again.

Noticed that he waited until he was pretty sure the lakers weren't going anywhere before he slimed his way back into the league.
Old 02-25-13, 03:31 PM
SR Team Goof

After all is said and done, this is how I'll always remember Derek Fisher ---- in dire need of a hankie.

Old 02-25-13, 07:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Back with OKC? Maybe Bonner can become president, he sure has better morals.
Old 02-25-13, 08:25 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Thunder Sign Derek Fisher
Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless discuss whether the signing of Derek Fisher would put the Thunder over the top in the Western Conference.
Tags: First Take, Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith, Western Conference, Scott Brooks, Maurice Cheeks
OKLAHOMA CITY -- The Thunder signed veteran Derek Fisher on Monday, filling an opening for a third point guard that was created when Eric Maynor got traded to Portland.

Fisher joins Oklahoma City for the stretch run for the second straight season. He played in 20 regular-season games and then all 20 playoff games last season.

Fisher
Fisher appeared in nine games this season with the Dallas Mavericks before asking for his release in December because the 38-year-old -- after suffering a knee injury -- wanted to return home to his family in Los Angeles.

Fisher won five NBA championships with the Los Angeles Lakers before getting traded to Houston last season, then buying his way out of his contract with the Rockets.

Fisher is also the president of the NBA Players Association, which recently ousted longtime executive director Billy Hunter.

Fisher, who won five championships with the Lakers, was viewed as a key locker room presence by Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks as the Thunder made it all the way to the Finals, losing to the Miami Heat in five games.

Fisher was productive during his brief stint in Dallas, averaging 8.6 points and 3.6 assists in just more than 25 minutes per game. And he was a natural fit in the Oklahoma City locker room last spring, delivering valuable championship experience to a team short on playoff-tested veterans.

Upon his release from the Mavericks in December, Fisher said: "The recovery time [from the knee injury] will be approximately two weeks. With this news and the difficulty I have been having being away from my family, I have asked the organization to waive me so I can return home.

"[Mavericks owner] Mark Cuban has been extremely supportive and has granted me this request. I cannot say enough good things about this organization. From Mark, to Coach [Rick] Carlisle, to the players on the Mavericks' team, I sincerely thank them for the opportunity.

"I have made decisions in the past, leaving money and opportunity on the table, and I will need to do that again. My family is my priority and that is where I choose to be. I won't close the possibility that I will play again; however, for now my family and being close to them remains the priority."
Old 02-26-13, 12:38 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I have no issues with Derek Fisher.

1. He has been on the sh#t list of many Spurs fans since that infamous shot. That's what he was supposed to do and what he was paid for. The fact that it was deemed a valid shot has nothing to do with him. He was just doing his job.

2. He has made more money before age 40 than most of us can ever expect to make in a lifetime which is more than any family should need over a lifetime and he realizes this and puts his family first because he does indeed, have major family health issues and he prioritizes family first. I wish more professional players would have the same appreciation.

3. He requested to leave teams. It was granted. This is all above board. Where and when and even if he steps back into basketball is his decision as I imagine it is not the most important thing in his life anymore. If teams take him, so be it. If they don't, So be it but so far, teams still want him in his limited priority and capacity. When teams stop wanting him in this fashion, I imagine he won't be heartbroken and just move on to the next chapter of his life.
Old 02-26-13, 01:29 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I have no issues with Derek Fisher.

1. He has been on the sh#t list of many Spurs fans since that infamous shot. That's what he was supposed to do and what he was paid for. The fact that it was deemed a valid shot has nothing to do with him. He was just doing his job.

2. He has made more money before age 40 than most of us can ever expect to make in a lifetime which is more than any family should need over a lifetime and he realizes this and puts his family first because he does indeed, have major family health issues and he prioritizes family first. I wish more professional players would have the same appreciation.

3. He requested to leave teams. It was granted. This is all above board. Where and when and even if he steps back into basketball is his decision as I imagine it is not the most important thing in his life anymore. If teams take him, so be it. If they don't, So be it but so far, teams still want him in his limited priority and capacity. When teams stop wanting him in this fashion, I imagine he won't be heartbroken and just move on to the next chapter of his life.
I just have an issue with him using his family as an excuse for getting off poor teams so he can then go join contenders.

He did it in Utah when he saw there was an opening for a starting PG on a newly rebuilt/reloaded Lakers squad when he used needing to go to a big city to ensure his daughter gets the best medical care as his excuse. Well if he needed a big city, why not New York...or Chicago? Oh, that's right. They had no hope of even making the playoffs back then, let alone competing for a title.

So he plays for LA for a few years while they have a good squad overall with very little competition @ the PG position. Once his time is up there, where does he go? Probably the 28th biggest city in a league of 30...OKC. Guess his daughter is cured now and no longer needs top-notch medical care.

Then this year, deja-vu with Dallas. Dallas gets some nice looking players (on paper) this offseason and he decides, yeah, I'll jump on board this ride. (Dallas is a pretty big city by the way...sure they have a pretty descent selection of doctors there for his daugther should she need them) Then they end up not being so hot after all, so he goes crying to Cuban with his sob story to get out of that contract. Same excuse as he had in Utah...family.

And where does he end up AGAIN...in the middle of Ho-where, as Ludacris would say, where he can either be far away from his family, or have his family be far away from the best doctors for his daughter....but, what a coincidence, they have a chance!

Why did he never ask to be let go by the Lakers when they were winning, or OKC when they were winning, or even Utah when they actually MADE the playoffs??? Because he is just USING his family and his sick daughter as an excuse to QUIT on his team. Just be a man and tell it like it is Fish...you don't want to play for a bad team and you'd rather take the easy ride. I'd have more respect for you that way.