SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-12, 02:02 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs Waste Another MVP Line from Tim Duncan

BY MAXWELL OGDEN
Spurs Waste Another MVP Line from Tim Duncan | Bleacher Report

The San Antonio Spurs have wasted yet another MVP line from Tim Duncan, losing 112-106 to the Denver Nuggets.

On his own, Duncan was magnificent against the Nuggets. Even if his MVP-caliber evening was wasted, he further solidified his status as an ageless wonder.

For the game, Duncan finished with 31 points, 18 rebounds, six assists, five blocks and two steals. He also made nine of 10 free throws.

Duncan is the third player over 30 to post at least 30 points, 18 rebounds, six assists and five blocks since 1986. Shaquille O'Neal and Robert Parish were the only other two.

Rare company for one of the all-time greats.

Even still, the Spurs dropped their fourth game in five outings. This is quite a shame, as Duncan is doing this at the tender age of 36.

Alex Kennedy of HoopsWorld.com said it best.

Quote:
Alex Kennedy

@AlexKennedyNBA
Tim Duncan had 31 points, 18 rebounds, 6 assists, 5 blocks, 2 steals against the Nuggets tonight. How is Duncan doing this at 36 years old?
18 Dec 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
Let this be a lesson for the players of today and future generations—when you polish your fundamentals, longevity is an understatement.

For proof, check the fact that Duncan became the 26th player in NBA history to join the 23,000 career point club with his performance.

Quote:
San Antonio Spurs

@spurs
Congratulations to Tim Duncan on becoming the 26th player in NBA history with 23,000 career points!
Duncan hit 23,000 at the 9:15 mark in the third quarter.

The important fact about tonight's contest is that the Spurs did lose for the fourth time in five games. They also played their ninth game in 13 days, so the fatigue could certainly have contributed to the loss.

But how about another theory?

The Atlanta Hawks employed a controversial strategy against the Orlando Magic during the first round of the 2011 NBA Playoffs. Rather than collapse the defense on Dwight Howard and force him to kick it out, the Hawks did the opposite.

They let Howard go to work on the interior and held the perimeter scorers in check. In turn, they won the series 4-2.

Matt Moore of CBS Sports speculated that this is the strategy Denver took against San Antonio.

Quote:
Hardwood Paroxysm@HPbasketball
Maybe it really is "Let Duncan do whatever, just cut off the perimeter."

Whether this is true or not, one thing is perfectly clear: The San Antonio Spurs squandered a legendary performance by their 36-year-old leader.

Duncan deserves better than that.:drummer
Old 12-19-12, 06:49 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

I wonder if Duncan having great games like that for the spurs is kind of like how the lakers are when kobe has to do everything. .There's some stat I saw floating around that the lakers are like 2-10 when Kobe scores 25 or more points. Just a thought.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-19-12, 09:11 AM
SpursReport Rookie

I think that it slows the spurs game on transition defense, meaning when he gets the ball and scores young teams are ready to attack us on a fast break and our wings (manu, jackson) are not young to keep up with iguadala and that italian dude, but we getting better, we missing leonard for sure (a young wing)and tony had an ok game
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-19-12, 09:45 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

/ this game was L and Not W only because green and neal playing bad game in the same Night. being those two at their usual shoting averages...
Old 12-19-12, 09:51 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The two things I have noticed this week 1) being outrebounded and 2) lazy passes being turned into transition points. The second observation was made more glaring by the 2 best transition teams in the NBA.

I think the Spurs hit a funky patch, and they need to get sharper on their passes and really put more effort into their gang rebounding. Things that can be fixed, i do miss Leonard though....
Old 12-19-12, 10:24 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

I'm honsetly not worried about anything. Waaaaaay too early in the season to hit the panic button. Remember its a marathon, not a race. Yeah it sucks to be losers of 4 outta 5 but it's not even Christmas yet. They will be fine ....never get to high or to low in the regular season with your emotions
Old 12-19-12, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuspence281 View Post
I wonder if Duncan having great games like that for the spurs is kind of like how the lakers are when kobe has to do everything. .There's some stat I saw floating around that the lakers are like 2-10 when Kobe scores 25 or more points. Just a thought.
Actually Kobe scored 30+ points in the last 7 games and his team was 3 and 4. And Lakers are 2-11 when Kobe Bryant scores 30 points or more. However Lakers are 7-4 when Kobe has at least 20 points and five assists. So maybe we need Tim to stay at 20 points 5 assists and lets say 5 rebounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 View Post
I think that it slows the spurs game on transition defense, meaning when he gets the ball and scores young teams are ready to attack us on a fast break and our wings (manu, jackson) are not young to keep up with iguadala and that italian dude, but we getting better, we missing leonard for sure (a young wing)and tony had an ok game
Right on with the Spurs lack of consistent Gang Commitment to D!!
That is why we ar missing Leonard so badly. Danny used to play better D though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
/ this game was L and Not W only because green and neal playing bad game in the same Night. being those two at their usual shoting averages...
Very True Dat. Green and Gary were MIA last few games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
The two things I have noticed this week 1) being outrebounded and 2) lazy passes being turned into transition points. The second observation was made more glaring by the 2 best transition teams in the NBA.

I think the Spurs hit a funky patch, and they need to get sharper on their passes and really put more effort into their gang rebounding. Things that can be fixed, i do miss Leonard though....
Yes the REBOUNDING vs Stronger teams is far more glaring and was a HUGE deficiency!

Nothing like Home games to cure all those funks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
I'm honsetly not worried about anything. Waaaaaay too early in the season to hit the panic button. Remember its a marathon, not a race. Yeah it sucks to be losers of 4 outta 5 but it's not even Christmas yet. They will be fine ....never get to high or to low in the regular season with your emotions

Yeah very true. It is too early remember last year they all started without any training camp and right around Christmas day!!!

We need to build that confidence and keep it up. We can't be complacent and arrogant and too easily satisfied. Pop wants them to keep that (proper fear) attitude and keep POUNDING on that rock until the end!

Spurs are much more than this record portrays IMO. A lot of those lost games either starters did not play enough on a B2B or has to do with some injured key players.

I have no doubt Spurs will refocus and recreate those smart ball movements again and play as a TEAM.

Go Spurs Go
Old 12-19-12, 12:43 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

They just seem to be exhausted right now. And it's evident how much they miss Leonard.

Green, Tiago and Neal just aren't top level players, Neal's always been a hit and miss role player and Green is still trying to develop his game. Tiago's game is getting much, much better and he's a good contributor but he certainly can't carry the team. Not sure what I think of Diaw right now, The rest of the squad? well they are what they are...

Tony's worn down, Manu's still not right, SJax is hurting so it all falls on Tim's shoulders and he's doing a great job of holding things together.

They'll be fine, especially after they get some rest over the next week or so.
Old 12-19-12, 01:18 PM
The Master Baiter

Fatigue. And Manu and Sjax coming back and throwing things off, rotation wise. Yesterday wasn't "Let TD do whatever". The Spurs had plenty of open shots, they just didn't hit any. Lots of in and out, around the rim kind of shots.

Also, for some reason, the Spurs seem to always be caught off guard by guys like Ibaka or Faried. Seems like they don't have an answer for that.
Old 12-19-12, 01:40 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
Fatigue. And Manu and Sjax coming back and throwing things off, rotation wise. Yesterday wasn't "Let TD do whatever". The Spurs had plenty of open shots, they just didn't hit any. Lots of in and out, around the rim kind of shots.

Also, for some reason, the Spurs seem to always be caught off guard by guys like Ibaka or Faried. Seems like they don't have an answer for that.
Did you really type this Uwe? Did someone hack into your account? Just want to be sure.:drummer
Old 12-19-12, 02:00 PM

Fluke yes that is what this is called. The fluke that comes from playing so many road games and having very little rest...

Sean Elliott said it best and if he can feel that, we sure should feel that too. Sean said about this current Spurs team: (I have never seen a TEAM that HATES losing as much as this current Spurs TEAM).

All this should help build their experience and endurance. They need that because Spurs have a more than other teams TOUGH second half ROAD game stretch with the Rodeo Road Trip!!!

Here is one article written on Dec 7th by Kelly Scaletta LINK about how Spurs along with few other NBA teams have the toughest B2B and even have 2 B2B2B games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
What is truly brutal on a schedule is the back-to-back with both games on the road. You don't just have the actual games to deal with; you also have the travel time to add on to that. You're sleeping on a strange bed, and all of that adds up.

The Spurs, along with the Lakers, Magic and Knicks, have the most back-to-backs on the road. There is one thing that distinguishes them, though, and that's that they also have two back-to-back-to-backs. They are also one of only two teams that have a back-to-back-to-back coming off just one day's rest.

Shudder.

Finally, the Spurs have their annual rodeo trip, which is even more brutal than normal this year. They play nine straight road games from Feb. 6 to Feb. 23. Then when they finally get home, they get to host the Bulls.

Here is another article that shows how Spurs have the #1 TOUGHEST ROAD GAMES stretch in the NBA.

Quote:
LINK
1. San Antonio Spurs (February 6- February 24)

-Wednesday, February 6 @ Minnesota Timberwolves

-Friday, February 8 @ Detroit Pistons

-Sunday, February 10 @ Brooklyn Nets

-----B2B

-Monday, February 11 @ Chicago Bulls

-Wednesday, February 13 @ Cleveland Cavaliers

-Tuesday, February 19 @ Sacramento Kings

-Thursday, February 21 @ Los Angeles Clippers

-----B2B

-Friday, February 22 @ Golden State Warriors

-Sunday, February 24 @ Phoenix Suns

Every season, the San Antonio Stock Show & Rodeo causes the Spurs out of their environs for one of the longest road trips of the entire season. While other teams may struggle during a stretch like this, the Spurs have routinely posted solid win averages during these periods.

Whether it be their experience, talent, coaching or a combination of the three, the Spurs have found a way to channel out the lengthy time away from home, focusing on the basketball aspects.

This year, though, could be an exception.

The teams the Spurs are facing are quite formidable opponents, mostly specializing in athleticism and youth. Unfortunately, San Antonio struggles in these aspects.

While the rodeo is back in San Antonio, this is going to be a bumpy time for the Spurs.
That is why Spurs need to stay healthy come February before this long road trip.

Despite this difficult schedule to start the season with, as of today Spurs are second on the SW Div (Mem is first today) and FOURTH in the Western Conf.

Spurs also have the most NBA ROAD WINS with 11-6 after that comes Golden State with 10-5 and then comes the Clippers with 8-3 AND NY with 8-5.

We want the Spurs to stay top 3 or maybe top 4 in the West. Let's hope they stay healthy so they can come back to their wins and never drop that many Road games again!!

Go Spurs Go
Old 12-19-12, 08:08 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

If anything was a waste, it was playing a 36 year for 40 minutes. That should never happen to any player of this age other than in the playoffs. If you can't get it done after limiting such a player to minutes in the low 30s then you need to accept the fact that on that given night your team did not have the available talent to pull out a win. Of course Duncan is capable of running up MVP numbers some nights but should that even be considered during the regular season?
Old 12-19-12, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
If anything was a waste, it was playing a 36 year for 40 minutes. That should never happen to any player of this age other than in the playoffs. If you can't get it done after limiting such a player to minutes in the low 30s then you need to accept the fact that on that given night your team did not have the available talent to pull out a win. Of course Duncan is capable of running up MVP numbers some nights but should that even be considered during the regular season?
Exactly Spurd_On.

Frankly I am so irritated by this long minutes played by TD. My heart keeps pounding on me when I see TD playing more than 32 mintues. Last thing we need is TD get hurt God Forbid!!!!!

No questions TD is capable of running up for another MVP, but we def need to keep him fresh for the PO.

Regardless if that Sun of a Gun Darn Schedule required more minutes or less. It just is wrong to play TD more than lower 30's minutes in any regular season game especially the B2B ones!!!:shocked
Old 12-20-12, 10:46 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

maybe he hate lose that bad,and actually ASKED pop to stay and or give one of his example lessons...
Old 12-20-12, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

maybe he hate lose that bad,and actually ASKED pop to stay and or give one of his example lessons...
Old 12-20-12, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
From Spurs Nation newspaper article today mentioned this:

Quote:
Afterward, Popovich said he briefly considered giving Duncan the night off against the Nuggets on the second night of a back-to-back.
Quote:
“I just show up to play,” Duncan said with a shrug, “and they play me however much they want to play me.”

Somehow I think Pop was just a bit too weak when TD asked him to either play the B2B or to stay in a game for few extra minutes thinking maybe they could have a W....

Old 12-20-12, 06:19 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post

Somehow I think Pop was just a bit too weak when TD asked him to either play the B2B or to stay in a game for few extra minutes thinking maybe they could have a W....

Or maybe Pop knew he was giving the team a couple days off and thought a few extra MINUTES might be the difference between a win and loss.

Still a loss, but if I could go to Vegas with hindsight, man o man...