News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-12, 11:15 PM
SR Team Goof

Spurs see more of Duncan-Splitter pairing

By Mike Monroe

Spurs center-forward Tiago Splitter played a season-high 28 minutes, 56 seconds, in the team’s 98-90 loss to the Trail Blazers in Portland on Thursday.

That included 9 1/2 minutes of the fourth period alongside Tim Duncan.

It was the first time this season Spurs coach Gregg Popovich had paired his tallest players for such a long stretch, and it helped the Spurs rally from a 12-point deficit to get within three points with 1:47 left.

Splitter finished with 12 points, seven rebounds and three assists, and while his fourth-quarter pairing with Duncan may not signal the beginning of a trend, it showed some flexibility that could help the Spurs cope with some of the league’s longer teams come the playoffs.

Popovich said he will continue to “mix and match” frontcourt lineups depending on the needs of each game.

Duncan gave the lineup a “thumbs-up,” acknowledging he no longer needs to have the area around the basket dedicated to his own post moves.

“I enjoy being on the court with him,” Duncan said of Splitter. “He’s a great role guy for us and he gets to the front of the rim and makes plays there.

“I’ve become more of a mid-range shooter, although I did not shoot the ball well at all the last three games. That’s kind of our roles together and we click in that respect.”

Duncan added: “Defensively, he’s solid and we can play with two bigs and rebound the ball very well. He’s a good pick and roll guy, too, and we exploit that.”

Accustomed to playing Splitter with the Spurs’ second unit, guard Manu Ginobili said a Duncan-Splitter lineup will require some time for teammates to get accommodated to.

“I’ve got to get used to it,” Ginboili said. “For a long time we played with an open four (power forward), either Matt (Bonner) or Boris (Diaw) to help spread the floor. But, yeah, I don’t have a problem with it. I like playing with good players, and they definitely both are good players.”

Ready for help: Popovich befuddled the TNT broadcasting crew before Thursday’s game in Portland when he told some media members that forward Kawhi Leonard was suiting up for the game.

Leonard remained on the inactive list, but with three more games over the next four days, two of those back-to-back road games, point guard Tony Parker is hopeful Leonard (left quadriceps tendinitis) will play tonight for the first time since Nov. 15.

“It’s when you play five games in seven days or six games in nine days that you start to hurt and that’s when you need everybody to go if they can,” Parker said. “It will help to have Kawhi on the boards, and (Stephen Jackson), too. You know what Kawhi and ‘Jack’ bring, and that is a lot of energy.”

Jackson (fractured right pinky) remains out.

Spurs Nation
Old 12-15-12, 01:49 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Quote:
“It’s when you play five games in seven days or six games in nine days that you start to hurt and that’s when you need everybody to go if they can,” Parker said. “It will help to have Kawhi on the boards, and (Stephen Jackson), too. You know what Kawhi and ‘Jack’ bring, and that is a lot of energy.”
That is so true!

Don't worry TP, they both should get healthy and come back soon!

Quote:
“I’ve got to get used to it,” Ginboili said. “For a long time we played with an open four (power forward), either Matt (Bonner) or Boris (Diaw) to help spread the floor. But, yeah, I don’t have a problem with it. I like playing with good players, and they definitely both are good players.”
Very smart way to say it Manu that Size helps! Lol So true Manu!

I do like Splitter's game. He is trying hard and he is getting beat up every game and noticeably he is showing more emotion and passion to the game that I really admire!!!

The only thing I don't like about Splitter is that he expects to get the foul. Most of the time if he did not get the foul he would let that get to him and get less aggressive. He should learn to fight despite not getting a lot of calls. That is just the nature of this business. Splitter will learn quickly because his BBall IQ is unbelievably high!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-15-12, 10:22 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I almost,kind of,sort of agree with the crazed one about Tiago needing to play through when he doesn't get the call.

I also think that by the end of the year Splitter will start getting those calls, right now most refs don't have any real idea of who he is or how he plays, the more time he spends on the court,the more respect he'll earn from them. So if he keeps letting the refs know he got smacked it may help, he just can't get labeled as a whiner....