News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-12, 10:40 AM
SR Team Goof

Sad: Raptors Amir Johnson ejected after struggling with ref over ball

Amir Johnson, your suspension is coming. You may want to ask Rajon Rondo the good places to hang out in Mexico during your time off.

Watch the video above and you’ll see why. Toronto was down double digits in the third quarter when Portland’s J.J. Hickson drains the first of two free throws and as often happens Johnson grabs the ball and hands it to the referee.

Then Johnson won’t let go of the basketball and he and referee David Jones get into a struggle over who can hold the ball. A silly struggle. Jones gets frustrated, ejects Johnson, and then the Raptor forward flies into a rage. And he throws his mouthpiece and hits Jones.

After the game, Johnson appologized admitted that was stupid (but wouldn’t take all the blame), via Ben Golliver of Sports Illustrated (he had he video, as well).
“I think [it was childish] between both of us,” Johnson said. “We were both wrestling with the ball. That was kind of childish. We both either could of let it go or anything. That part was childish. Plus, on my part for reacting that way….

“I think it was just real childish,” Johnson said. “It was something that didn’t need to happen. I lost my cool. I apologize on that part. I’ve never been kicked out of a game before or been teed up like that.”

Childish is a good word for it. Stupid is as well.

Expensive will be another because he is going to miss a number of games for this without pay.

Expect the suspension to come down Tuesday.

Related link: Mike D?Antoni says Gasol will start when he comes back | ProBasketballTalk
Old 12-11-12, 10:41 AM
SR Team Goof

Heads-up, Timmy.
Old 12-11-12, 12:10 PM
The Master Baiter

It was probably something he said to the ref. The "struggle" for the ball wasn't enough to toss a guy.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-12, 12:28 PM

it looks like they were trying to speed things up. if the ref wants the ball, you have to give it to him. i highly doubt Duncan would be taking the ball away from someone.

the refs have to have control over the game and not let the players push them around. good call by him.
Old 12-11-12, 02:05 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Finally.....a new candidate for Dumba$$ of the Year. I'm tired of seeing the same ole names on the ballot (Ron Artest, Rajon Rondo, etc).

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-11-12, 02:27 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark21horse View Post
Finally.....a new candidate for Dumba$$ of the Year. I'm tired of seeing the same ole names on the ballot (Ron Artest, Rajon Rondo, etc).
Jason Terry gets my vote, annually.
Old 12-11-12, 03:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

The Ref should of gave him the ball. Ref was just being a you know what...
Old 12-11-12, 08:21 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
Jason Terry gets my vote, annually.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 12-12-12, 03:46 AM
SR Team Goof

Raptors’ Amir Johnson gets off light, one game suspension

Generally, if you get in a wrestling match over a ball with a referee then, when ejected, you take your mouthpiece and throw it at him, you are lined up for more than one game of suspension.

But the Raptors Amir Johnson admitted afterward that he was “childish” and apologized, and with that he got off pretty light — a one game suspension by the league.

Johnson will miss the Raptors game Wednesday against Brooklyn.

The entire incident was silly — it’s not uncommon for referees to let players touch the ball between free throws, referee David Jones didn’t want to do that in this case. No idea why. It’s silly of Jones to make a big deal of it, it was silly for Johnson to demand it, try to wrestle the ball away then snap when he got a tech for it.

But the silliness of the thing combined with an apology means Johnson threw his mouthpiece and hit a referee and only got one game. It could have been much worse.

Raptors’ Amir Johnson gets off light, one game suspension | ProBasketballTalk