SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Spurs Notebook: Rebounds keep Bonner on court (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117970-spurs-notebook-rebounds-keep-bonner-court.html)

alh1020 12-06-12 07:26 AM

Spurs Notebook: Rebounds keep Bonner on court
 
by Mike Monroe

When Matt Bonner got a look at the box score from the Spurs’ 110-99 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks at the AT&T Center on Wednesday night, he couldn’t believe his eyes.

“I was pretty shocked when it said I only played 23 minutes,” the 30-year-old veteran of seven Spurs seasons said. “It felt like I played 42 or 43 minutes.”

In fact, Bonner played 23 minutes and 28 seconds, but it may have felt like he played a lot longer because slightly more than 15 minutes of his court time came in the second half. That’s when the Spurs overcame an eight-point deficit to become the second NBA team to reach 15 wins.

Just as shocking: It wasn’t Bonner’s shooting that kept him on the floor. In fact, he remained in the game despite making only 2 of 7 shots because he grabbed a season-high 12 rebounds and helped shut out Milwaukee’s Ersan Ilyasova in the second half after Ilyasova torched the Spurs for 17 first-half points.

“It was one of those nights where the ball was bouncing my way,” Bonner said. “I come into every game trying to do whatever I can to try and help the team win.

“Usually, hopefully, a lot of that has to do with knocking down shots. Tonight wasn’t one of those nights, so it was great to be able to do a good job on the glass and play hard on defense and get us going.”

The key to limiting Ilyasova was a change in defensive approach.

“Obviously, we weren’t ready for him at the beginning of the game,” Bonner said. “We had to make a few adjustments in order to take away his outside shot. It had mostly to do with pick and roll defense; kind of a quick hedge and get back to him quicker so he didn’t have as much room to operate.”


Stern’s suggestion: Commissioner David Stern spoke with reporters before Wednesday’s Lakers-Hornets game in New Orleans and fielded some questions about the $250,000 fine he handed the Spurs for resting Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and Danny Green against the Heat a week ago.

Stern defended his action and hinted that he might have intervened to prevent the benchings had the Spurs informed him of their intent before sending the players home from Orlando.

“The beauty of that is I don’t know,” Stern said. “It depends. I said it’s the totality of the circumstances.

“I would suggest to you if we had been notified it wouldn’t have happened. So maybe from their perspective they did the right thing, but not from mine.”

Stern told reporters that coaches should have the authority to rest players at the end of the season, but not this early.

Spurs Nation

Jose_TheGenius 12-06-12 07:48 AM

in around the 2nd game overall this season, he played well. if he can keep playing like this on a consistent basis, Pop will most likely start Splitter and bench Blair as the last big

Spurd_On 12-06-12 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288201)
in around the 2nd game overall this season, he played well. if he can keep playing like this on a consistent basis, Pop will most likely start Splitter and bench Blair as the last big

With all of the SFs out, I don't take away anything about who Pop plays in the future or when based on what he has to work with now.

buttsR4rebounding 12-06-12 11:33 AM

Wow, Stern's comments that coaches don't have the right to rest players this early in the season is incredible. It really sets a precident that favors younger players. I wonder if the NBAPA will have any comment on this.

WILLTHETHRILL 12-06-12 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding (Post 1288206)
Wow, Stern's comments that coaches don't have the right to rest players this early in the season is incredible. It really sets a precident that favors younger players. I wonder if the NBAPA will have any comment on this.

NBAPA will have no response. Stats equal money. And as stated before the NBAPA could care less that the Spurs franchise got fined for resting it's players. The players sent home got paid and that's all they care about.

bigjosh721 12-06-12 01:40 PM

It seems that reduced minutes makes Bonner more consistant and he is shooting at a career high at .500 at 3pt.(still abit early in the season) and playing DEFENSE. Also it is too soon to have high hopes for Bonner right now, we just have to wait until the playoffs to see if Bonner will be somewhere to be found. Just maybe he could be a Steve Kerr type player and make some shots that we've been needing from the bench in the playoffs. Im usually not a Bonner fan cause he let me down a couple of times, maybe he could prove me wrong and knock down those shots in the playoffs.

td4mvp2k 12-06-12 03:05 PM

Bonner wins games!

Kager 12-06-12 04:08 PM

The Rebounding Wranger was big for us on Defence as well.

grizzly_bexar 12-06-12 07:53 PM

If Bonner is outrebounding Blair, heck yeah put him in.

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288224)
Bonner wins games!

FOR THE OTHER TEAM?lol

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 04:45 PM

Spurs 12-3 when Bonner plays, he's shooting 50%, and he's playing good D... He wins games!

Jose_TheGenius 12-07-12 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288318)
Spurs 12-3 when Bonner plays, he's shooting 50%, and he's playing good D... He wins games!

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/2718/bonnerf.jpg

his minutes per game average is 13.1mpg, you're grossly inflating his worth. it's only the most recent win vs. Milwaukee where he did well in extended minutes stats wise (with rebounds)

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288319)
his minutes per game average is 13.1mpg, you're grossly inflating his worth. it's only the most recent win vs. Milwaukee where he did well in extended minutes stats wise (with rebounds)

12-3 when he plays... Thats winnng period!

Jose_TheGenius 12-07-12 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288321)
12-3 when he plays... Thats winnng period!

you're going to say that for the Portland game where he put in 2 minutes?

oooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

let's sign Juwan Howard, he won an NBA title last year! THAT'S WINNING!

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288323)
you're going to say that for the Portland game where he put in 2 minutes?

oooooooooooooookkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

let's sign Juwan Howard, he won an NBA title last year! THAT'S WINNING!

Did he or did he not play that Portland game? Now you want to put Howard to Bonner... Ha... Don't do that to yourself.

Jose_TheGenius 12-07-12 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288325)
Did he or did he not play that Portland game? Now you want to put Howard to Bonner... Ha... Don't do that to yourself.

he played 2 minutes :lol would you say the same about Cory Joseph if he played 30 seconds in all those wins?

if Bonner was a "winner", we would've traded him a long time ago when he was useless and no one wanted him. no one wants to trade for him when he's playing well either, so that should tell you about his real worth.

if the dude can play that little minutes and we win a title, good enough for me. he won't be disrupting the team chemistry or choking in the playoffs.

and yeah i did say Juwan Howard won a title last year. that's not winning? PERIOD? :lol

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288326)
he played 2 minutes :lol would you say the same about Cory Joseph if he played 30 seconds in all those wins?

if Bonner was a "winner", we would've traded him a long time ago when he was useless and no one wanted him. no one wants to trade for him when he's playing well either, so that should tell you about his real worth.

if the dude can play that little minutes and we win a title, good enough for me. he won't be disrupting the team chemistry or choking in the playoffs.

and yeah i did say Juwan Howard won a title last year. that's not winning? PERIOD? :lol

Its about Bonner and not another player so try to stay on Bonner cuz your not helping yourself by bringing up another player. If Bonner wasnt a winner/nba champion he wouldnt of been on the team for as long as he has and no Howard is not Bonner... Period!

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 06:35 PM

The Spurs won a title with Bonner on the bench mainly. Pop try this again!

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288331)
The Spurs won a title with Bonner on the bench mainly. Pop try this again!

Ya Bonner played more then half the games off the bench and won the title! Pop is doing it...

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288332)
Ya Bonner played more then half the games off the bench and won the title! Pop is doing it...

Bonner hardly played in 06-07'. Look up the facts. Keep Bonner off the court!

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288336)
Bonner hardly played in 06-07'. Look up the facts. Keep Bonner off the court!

Facts are there... He played Period!

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288337)
Facts are there... He played Period!

I think the Spurs are winning because they signed James Anderson. Facts are there. He played

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288345)
I think the Spurs are winning because they signed James Anderson. Facts are there. He played

....

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288348)
....

Pre K response :smirk

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288345)
I think the Spurs are winning because they signed James Anderson. Facts are there. He played

Pre K Post

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288355)
Pre K Post

It was to mock yours............................................. ..............................Bonner lover

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288361)
It was to mock yours............................................. ..............................Bonner lover

nothing to mock when its a fact.

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288364)
nothing to mock when its a fact.

Yeah James Anderson signed and the Spurs keep winning!:banana

Jose_TheGenius 12-07-12 09:15 PM

whoa Bonner BARELY going in with a 30 point lead in the 4th

he's such a winner :lol

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288366)
whoa Bonner BARELY going in with a 30 point lead in the 4th

he's such a winner :lol

That's why they got a 30 point lead he was on the bench!lol

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288366)
whoa Bonner BARELY going in with a 30 point lead in the 4th

he's such a winner :lol

Ya he is.

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288368)
Ya he is.

Spelling champ here!:laugh

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288369)
Spelling champ here!:laugh

....

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288367)
That's why they got a 30 point lead he was on the bench!lol

No! They got a 30 pt lead cuz it was the ROCKETS...HA.

Kager 12-07-12 10:10 PM

Stop hi-jacking this thread with bitterness.....

Instead lets all celebrate a successful launch of the Red Rocket today..... That dunk was very solid, and wasn't he juiced afterwards???

WILLTHETHRILL 12-07-12 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288375)
No! They got a 30 pt lead cuz it was the ROCKETS...HA.

It's really because James Anderson played!

td4mvp2k 12-07-12 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kager (Post 1288377)
Stop hi-jacking this thread with bitterness.....

Instead lets all celebrate a successful launch of the Red Rocket today..... That dunk was very solid, and wasn't he juiced afterwards???

Red Rocket is looking good.

Mombear 12-07-12 10:55 PM

facepalm

spurscrazed 12-08-12 02:50 AM

Bonner was good. He looked like he was having fun out there which is fine. What does he care about. He is getting paid and sitting most of the time on his arse way far in that bench where he should. Pop knows exactly how to play him now. When he called him it was garbage time.

We won that title on 07 Despite Bonner's lazy Arse.

Don't fall in that mirage dream that Bonner will be there as good as you see him in garbage time here. That was in the past few years. Not anymore..... Pop had learned and I can see how he is inserting Bonner at the right time!

Spurs are using Bonner to get those regular season games wins going to get them to the Other side (Playoff)

In the Playoff we will see Pop shorten his rotation and made up his mind who is tough enough to handle tough PO situations.

WILLTHETHRILL 12-08-12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288370)
....

no nuts

td4mvp2k 12-09-12 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288423)
no nuts

No Head.

KAD 12-09-12 10:11 AM

I love it that Bonner has found new dimensions and is more relaxed in playing all aspects of the game - will just keep helping us win more.

As for Stern he is an IDIOT...

WILLTHETHRILL 12-09-12 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288440)
No Head.

I'm sure you enjoy chin nuts for the holidays

td4mvp2k 12-09-12 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288423)
no nuts

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288440)
No Head.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL (Post 1288449)
I'm sure you enjoy chin nuts for the holidays

.... Nuff Said!

WILLTHETHRILL 12-09-12 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1288460)
.... Nuff Said!

:applause So true

spurs_believer 12-09-12 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh721 (Post 1288218)
Just maybe he could be a Steve Kerr type player and make some shots that we've been needing from the bench in the playoffs.

Have you seen the difference between shot release of the two? Steve Kerr, despite more than 6" shorter than Bonner, can release his shots just as high and quicker. Bonner's shooting is just not equipped for playoffs.

However, Bonner can contribute in other areas: he can rebound, (relatively speaking) defend and knock down the wide-open threes (if there's any). I just don't expect a Steve Kerr type shooter in him.

Jose_TheGenius 12-09-12 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs_believer (Post 1288478)
Have you seen the difference between shot release of the two? Steve Kerr, despite more than 6" shorter than Bonner, can release his shots just as high and quicker. Bonner's shooting is just not equipped for playoffs.

However, Bonner can contribute in other areas: he can rebound, (relatively speaking) defend and knock down the wide-open threes (if there's any). I just don't expect a Steve Kerr type shooter in him.

Bonner's worked on a quicker release, which i'm honestly proud. his old slower release was bad enough to get him blocked by the smallest PG. guys like Kerr also used a lot of leg on it while Bonner's is mostly arm too.

hopefully he can get that shot off in a successful attempt in the postseason

Rzarector7 12-09-12 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurs_believer (Post 1288478)
Have you seen the difference between shot release of the two? Steve Kerr, despite more than 6" shorter than Bonner, can release his shots just as high and quicker. Bonner's shooting is just not equipped for playoffs.

However, Bonner can contribute in other areas: he can rebound, (relatively speaking) defend and knock down the wide-open threes (if there's any). I just don't expect a Steve Kerr type shooter in him.

I am seriously not sold on him as a defender, the quicker guys at SF or PG just blow right buy him (Memphis Series especially) later on in the year. I guess he is okay at times, but not really known as a good defender. I don't want this to turn into maybe he will do good in the playoffs nor rely on him for minutes towards the end of the year. I do want him to do well as he is a Spur and he does, but I will not say maybe this is the year for him because everytime years on end it has not been.

td4mvp2k 12-11-12 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1288501)
Bonner's worked on a quicker release, which i'm honestly proud.

Its a great thing isnt it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0