News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-12, 11:36 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Video: Rajon Rondo spent his suspension in Mexico, learned nothing

Video on the Celtics, Patriots, Red Sox and Bruins | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

LINK to Yahoo Article

Last week, the NBA suspended Boston Celtics point guard Rajon Rondo for two games after he attacked and shoved Brooklyn Nets big man Kris Humphries during an altercation with Kevin Garnett. It was the response everyone suspected, and perhaps even a bit lenient considering that the league suspended a player for the same length of time after he confronted an announcer for the opposing team. Then again, I guess words can hurt, too.

As with most suspensions, the NBA hoped that this punishment would cause Rondo to reflect on his actions and change his ways before returning to the Celtics for Wednesday night's game against the Milwaukee Bucks. Except it didn't, and he used the time away as an excuse to take a short vacation in Mexico. Watch the video above from CSNNE.com (via PBT) and get the on-scene report from Gary Washburn of The Boston Globe (via The Point Forward):

"I wanted to be out there with my teammates but obviously a 2-game suspension, like I said I was glued in front of the TV," said Rondo, who told reporters he went to Mexico during the break. "Hopefully I don't feel too winded tomorrow. I think I've been off for about a week now. We'll see tomorrow."

When asked if he learned any lessons during his third suspension in nine months, he said: "No."

Rondo did say he missed being around his teammates.

"It was difficult," he said, "I love being around the guys. I love coming into practice and being around them on the team plane, but I had to miss that for a couple of days but other than that everything is back to normal."

The video provides a short encapsulation of Rondo's attitude: The suspension wasn't ideal, but he's happy to be back with his teammates. It was a nuisance, basically, not a mind-altering punishment.

That should be expected from Rondo, who considers himself extremely loyal to teammates. To him, the loss of two games was the byproduct of the positives of proving to his teammates that he'll stand up for them. And while that decision might not make sense for a superstar, it's part of Rondo's personality as it currently exists.

The punishment, then, isn't so much a punitive action as much as the cost of doing business. As in the case of Stephen Jackson and his technical fouls, Rondo accepts the suspension because he felt he needed to stick up for a teammate. It's not the most mature approach, but this holistic view of the situation helps place his actions in the proper context.
Old 12-05-12, 01:02 AM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Not true. I'm sure he picked up a few Spanish lessons . . . "puta," "mas tequila," etc.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-12, 02:35 PM
SR Team Goof

Probably in Margaritaville
Old 12-05-12, 03:52 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

is he suppose to cry about it?
good for him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-12, 04:06 PM
Delusional Manu Lover

I've seen very little improvement in the area of maturity when it comes to Rondo. My guess is that this won't be his last "short vacation".

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 12-05-12, 06:00 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If he was allowed to travel with the team then he was an immature punk, but a player suspension means they are not allowed to travel with the team so he could sit at home in crap Boston weather or be in Mexico.... who cares.
Old 12-06-12, 02:07 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure if I was a millionaire in my 20's and the boss told me I couldn't even come into the office that I'd have better things to do than hang around the house.

Hope he had fun.
Old 12-06-12, 02:39 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
If he was allowed to travel with the team then he was an immature punk, but a player suspension means they are not allowed to travel with the team so he could sit at home in crap Boston weather or be in Mexico.... who cares.
:applause
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.