News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-12, 03:13 AM
SR Team Goof

Cuban not only supports fine, says it could have been larger

His team’s rivalry with the Spurs notwithstanding, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban would seem to be a prime candidate to defend them after they were saddled with one of the largest fines in NBA history for resting players leading up to last Thursday’s game at Miami.

After all, Cuban made a second career out of antagonizing NBA commissioner David Stern and his minions, earning more than a million dollars in penalties during his controversial tenure.

But Stern’s arch nemesis not only supports his decision to penalize the Spurs $250,000, Cuban thinks the sum could have been even stiffer.

Cuban cited the need to protect the league’s national television contracts, which he called the “the money train.” He spoke after Gregg Popovich and the Spurs drew Stern’s ire for choosing to send home four players, including Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, prior to last Thursday’s game against Miami on TNT.

As reported by ESPN’s Tim MacMahon:

“Look, I respect the Spurs,” Cuban said. “Pop is the best coach in the league. I understand why he did it. I might even take the fine if it was us, but I understand why the league (fined the Spurs). It maybe should have even been higher, because the amount at stake is enormous.

“We’re still a business. Resting the stars for the long haul one game earlier, one game later, sure. Resting when you’ve got our biggest customer at stake, that’s a whole different animal. I’m not saying the Mavs wouldn’t have done the same thing, but I realize that it’d be a fineable offense. And if it was me, it’d probably be 10 times as much.”

Cuban also criticized the scheduling that forced the Spurs to play four games in five days.
“It’s just as stupid to put a team in their fourth game in five nights on national television,” he said. “That’s just as dumb. You’re not going to get as good of a performance, and that’s what you want to show.

“So I guess you can make the counter-argument that even though the Spurs did what they did, the league was just as guilty for putting them in that position, which was pretty stupid.”

Spurs Nation
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-12, 03:24 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

I have zero respect for you Cuban. I can understand how you as a Tycoon could interpret the Commish's decision in regards to TV Rating.

And Hmmm No it could not go over $1M because that is the limit on this fine! Cuban is wrong again! Cuban is an idiot!

He should be fined for those words here such as saying the League was just as guilty.... Which was pretty stupid!!!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-02-12, 02:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Cuz we know what a true follower of the commissioner Cuban really is...He always supports the commis...no wait...nevermind
Old 12-02-12, 03:06 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Cuban takes more jabs at the NBA in those statements than he does at the Spurs. Its a disguised slam at Stern. Way to go Cubes. Lol
Old 12-02-12, 03:21 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Cuban is the last guy that should be talking... D-A!
Old 12-02-12, 04:14 PM
The Master Baiter

I'm actually not angry at Cuban for these comments, because he's right. It's all a business. And he basically called the NBA stupid for making that particular game a nationally televised event. If you are really concerned about putting the best product on TV, then you don't schedule a game where you know one team is going to be exhausted and still may rest one or two of their stars. Even if Pop didn't send four players home, he likely would have had TD and Manu in street clothes on the bench for that game. Great choice of marquee games Stern.