News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-12, 12:18 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Official Grizzlies at Spurs Game Thread (7:30)

7:30 PM
TV: KENS (Austin) KBVO

Memphis (12 - 2)

San Antonio (13 - 4)

• The Spurs have won the last four games in this series, holding the Grizzlies to 97 points or less in all four contests. Three of the four have been decided by at least 10 points (the other was a five-point contest).
  • In their last home game, a 92-87 loss to the Clippers on November 19, the Spurs shot just 35.4 percent from the field. That was their lowest field-goal percentage in a home game since making just 33.8 percent of their attempts against the Nets on March 4, 2008.
  • Tim Duncan has had a double-double in each of his last two games against the Grizzlies, putting up 47 points (on 19-for-29 shooting) and 29 boards in those contests, while also contributing seven blocked shots.
  • In his first start of the season, Matt Bonner had a double-double, posting 10 points and 10 rebounds in Thursday's loss to the Heat. Bonner had a total of just nine boards in his first 12 games of the season

Grizzlies-Spurs Preview

By JEFF BARTL
STATS Writer

(AP) -- San Antonio Spurs coach Gregg Popovich made a seemingly logical decision to sit four of his top players at the end of a six-game road trip to better prepare for a showdown with the Memphis Grizzlies.

The organization now has a lighter wallet because of it.
Despite NBA commissioner David Stern's controversial penalty, San Antonio's core will be well-rested Saturday night when it hosts surging Memphis.

After the Spurs (13-4) defeated Orlando on Wednesday, Popovich sent Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili and Danny Green home on a commercial flight to rest before the remainder of the team faced Miami in a nationally televised contest Thursday night.

"Everybody has to make decisions about their schedule, about players playing and back-to-backs and trips and that sort of thing," Popovich said. "In our case, this month we've had 11 away games. We've had an eight-day trip and a 10-day trip, and we're ending it with four (games) in five nights (in Miami). I think it'd be unwise to be playing our guys in that kind of a situation, given their history.

"Perhaps it'll give us an opportunity to stay on the court with Memphis on Saturday night."

Stern didn't agree, saying Popovich's decision was "unacceptable" and "contrary to the best interests of the NBA" while apologizing to the league's fans before Wednesday's game.

He fined the organization $250,000 on Thursday despite many around the league defending Popovich's decision.

"The result here is dictated by the totality of the facts in this case," Stern said. "The Spurs decided to make four of their top players unavailable for an early-season game that was the team's only regular-season visit to Miami. The team also did this without informing the Heat, the media, or the league office in a timely way."

San Antonio delivered a solid performance anyway, leading into the final minute of the fourth quarter before falling 105-100 to end a five-game winning streak.

Gary Neal scored 20 points off the bench while Matt Bonner added 10 and 10 rebounds.

"Oh, it would have been great if we won," Bonner said. "We have faith in everybody on our roster. We think we have one of the deepest teams in the league."

The Spurs haven't commented on the penalty and have seemed to turn their attention to the first meeting with the Grizzlies since sweeping last season's four-game season series.

Coach Lionel Hollins also didn't comment on Popovich's decision and the ensuing fine, but Memphis (12-2) seems more than prepared for the Southwest Division showdown after winning the final four of its five-game homestand with Friday's 90-78 victory over Detroit.

Rudy Gay finished with a game-high 18 points while Marc Gasol (11 rebounds) and Mike Conley scored 17 apiece.

"We played a lot of good teams in this homestand, and in the last few weeks," Conley said. "For us to get this win, is huge for what we stand for, and that's just one game at a time and being ready for each individual opponent."

Memphis tied a season best for points allowed and ranks first in the NBA defensively, yielding 90.1 per game.
"I'm happy we were ahead and our defense was still strong," Hollins said.

The Grizzlies have won four straight on the road since a season-opening loss at the Los Angeles Clippers, but they've dropped 14 of their last 15 regular-season games in San Antonio.

Duncan scored 28 points and added 12 rebounds in the Spurs' 107-97 home victory in the most recent meeting April 12

Last edited by Eddy from Austin; 12-01-12 at 12:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-12, 12:29 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

whats gonna be hilarious is if , now that miami game is lost.... we come in and get blown out or even jst lose to memphis... so much for resting then?
lotta pressure this game to win if pop doesn't wanna look like a chump
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-01-12, 12:33 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Spurs Come Together and play a GREAT GAME at HOME SWEET HOME!!!!!

Not an easy win, a Physical Battle Spurs will be tested!!!!

Tony vs. Conley is going to be an interesting match up I am looking forward to.

Spurs TEAM D & Hustle wins!!!!

With Memphis playing at such a high level. And Spurs coming of a Loss in Miami, Spurs Win this one convincingly!

This game could has Playoff atmosphere all over it.....

Spurs 109
Grizzs 102

*Look for Pop to get a STANDING OVATION like David Chancelor(sp?)said on Channel 4 TV last night!*
Old 12-01-12, 12:35 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
whats gonna be hilarious is if , now that miami game is lost.... we come in and get blown out or even jst lose to memphis... so much for resting then?
lotta pressure this game to win if pop doesn't wanna look like a chump
True that.
Not that they don't have enough insentive from the Grizz being Division Leaders.
Old 12-01-12, 01:30 PM
The Master Baiter

I don't see them winning this game. Still missing KY and Ghetto Superstar. Memphis playing great defense. They are going to suffocate Manu and Tony.
Old 12-01-12, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I don't see them winning this game. Still missing KY and Ghetto Superstar. Memphis playing great defense. They are going to suffocate Manu and Tony.
Leonard returns tonight
Old 12-01-12, 01:42 PM

Hmm Spurs just assigned Corey Joseph back to the Toros. I wonder who will play tonight!
Old 12-01-12, 02:07 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
Leonard returns tonight
Oh, in that case Spurs by 50.
Old 12-01-12, 02:19 PM

REFS for the Game tonight!!!!

Dan Crawford
Mark Ayotte
Sean Wright

:applause

We can breath and hope the BEST team wins (Spurs) No Joe Carawford you all!
Old 12-01-12, 03:54 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 95
Grizzlies 89
Old 12-01-12, 06:28 PM
SR Team Goof

FYI, injury report has Tony Allen questionnable for Memphis. If the Spurs can muzzle Zach Randolph, they could win by a bigger margin. But Zach loves to play against SA and we have not yet found a way to stop him, especially with Capt Jack out. But I think we can still squeak one out.

Spurs.....98
Griz......95
Old 12-01-12, 08:21 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

Location: Bangalore - Silicon Valley East - Ex hyderabd, Cupertino/CA & Campinas Brazil, Houston and SanAntonio

I think the Spurs will focus on this with intensity and pull this one easily! 105-93
Old 12-01-12, 08:39 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Great game , Spurs can put the Grizz behind them in this one.
Old 12-01-12, 11:04 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Bonner!!!
Old 12-02-12, 02:42 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
FYI, injury report has Tony Allen questionnable for Memphis. If the Spurs can muzzle Zach Randolph, they could win by a bigger margin. But Zach loves to play against SA and we have not yet found a way to stop him, especially with Capt Jack out. But I think we can still squeak one out.

Spurs.....98
Griz......95
alh1020 you almost nailed it! 99-95
Old 12-02-12, 03:36 AM
SR Team Goof

Gadzooks!! I was jumping up and down so much after the Spurs had taken the lead in the final minutes that I completely forgot what I had put down. I guess that's about as good as I'm going to do for the rest of the season, probably should quit while I'm almost ahead. Thanks, Eddy.
Old 12-02-12, 04:02 AM

What a BRILLIANT idea from Pop to insert Bonner and Mills and Nando at the right time.

Those Three KEY SPARKS from the Bench ignited the game momentum back to Spurs and then the starters came back with the same energy and Closed!!!!

Give Pop and the Coaching staff a lot of credit for key adjustments and substituting and drawings at the end!!:applause

Tim Duncan Did an AMAZING job. Great Determination!!! Great D! The Greatest Tim EVER! Frustrated the heck out of Grizzs!

Tony Parker was the MVP no question in this game. I am so glad Pop gave him a Breather because I am praying somehow TP gets some rest... Tony carried the Spurs in such crucial moments and nailed his free throws to seal the game at the end. He showed such a great poise and he was incredible!! Thanks Tone!

I knew Manu would come back to life and shoot some Great Key shots and he did it at the end!!!! despite his struggles he showed us Great Defense and Great HUSTLES that don't show on stat sheet... Manu is RELENTLESS and Manu has such a Killer instinct that never gives up. Nothing can stop Manu is he is DETERMINED!

Gary Neal came alive at some nice moments. I like what I saw from Gary. He is a Great Player for us. Few mistakes but he is a keeper.

Danny Green was not there mentally or physically. Hope he gets out of his funk soon...

Bonner surprised all of us with his great hustle play and key shots in the second half. I hope he can Maintain this in the PO because now he looks good, but we need this Bonner in the PO Bonner!

Mills, and De Colo were Fantastic Sparks!!

Hope Spurs rest up well before Milwaukee next Wednesday!

Go Spurs Go!
Old 12-02-12, 04:37 AM
SR Team Goof

I have to agree with you, ‘crazed. Our bench came through again, especially Mills, DeColo and Bonner, as you mentioned. They were ‘johnny on the spot’ with their play and got the Spurs back into their regular game mode. I particularly liked Bonner’s performance against Randolph, kept him off the boards and was in his face most of the 2nd half. Matt might have gotten away with a few body checks but what the hey, the refs seemed to be looking the other way on a lot of calls and let the teams play. Good timing by Pop and the coaches. With Leonard and Capt Jack returning in a couple weeks, I hope the aforementioned guys don’t get lost on the bench.