News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-12, 07:07 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

DAVID STERN WANTS SANCTIONS AGAINST THE SPURS

OMFG... .DAVID STERN NEEDS HIS ASS KICKED: I APOLOGIZE TO ALL NBA FANS. THIS WAS AN UNACCEPTABLE DECISION BY THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS AND SUBSTANTIAL SANCTIONS WILL BE FORTHCOMING!!!

:shocked

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-12, 07:12 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

lol Craig Sager... : This is the best part: Craig Sager just told us he is not the one interviewing Gregg Popovich tonight... Charles Barkley is... bwaaaaaaaaahahahahaha

Wonder what he'll ask Pop...??? lol

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-29-12, 07:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs can fight that cuz there is no rule for them not to do what they did.
Old 11-29-12, 07:42 PM

@FakeCoachPop

Suck It Stern
Old 11-29-12, 08:18 PM
SpursReport Team Member

If he takes away a draft pick, I will curse him with bad Karma.
Old 11-29-12, 08:20 PM
SR Team Goof

Not a bad showing by our guys through the first half, only behind by 3. I'm afraid the Heat might pull the plug in the 2nd half and try to end it early.

I loved Pop's response to Barkley's interview questions. Only 2 questions Sir Charles.

And I think the Commissioner should kiss our collective a$$es.
Old 11-29-12, 08:36 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
And I think the Commissioner should kiss our collective a$$es.
AGREED!!!

Old 11-29-12, 08:44 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

SON OF A *****.. COME ON STERN... EXPLAIN THIS ****:

Old 11-29-12, 09:06 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What Pop did may have been legal and we may avoid sanctions but I also don't agree with what he did. Maybe rest TD and Manu but as TP said he is not that old he would have been ok with playing tonight...... and Danny was just to make a point, he is young and should be more than ok.

It seems Pop is going more and more to a WWE manager, his shortness in interviews is overexagerated and now holding out 4 players I expect TD, Manu, TP and Danny to come rushing out from the stands with 2 minutes to go in the 4th and swing chairs.
Old 11-29-12, 09:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Spurs could have won this game but regardless of the loss. The young guns showed they had marbles tonight! Nice hustle and play by everyone!
Old 11-29-12, 10:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think Pop is in the right here 100%

The fundamental argument here is Stern is upset because fans are deprived of star players and Pop is essentially saying its a team game. Teams are made up of more than star players. and what happened? The NBA had a great game that came down to the last 2 minutes, where the Heat edged out the Spurs. Stern can not legislate how team's are coached.

And what does this do for the Spurs? give role players actual experience, make mistakes in November that can be fixed, and give them confidence they can play against the NBA Champions.

and what did the Heat gain? 1 win
Old 11-29-12, 10:37 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Proud to be a Spurs Fan... Spurs played hard. Not intimidated.
Old 11-29-12, 10:45 PM
The Master Baiter

It seems that most of the media are siding with Pop as well, citing the rough road schedule of the Spurs vs. the Heat's schedule. I don't think anything will come of it. It turned out to be a great game anyway. And I love how Ray Allen celebrated after he his 3. Congrats Ray, you just barely beat players 7 thru 13 on the depth chart.
Old 11-29-12, 10:51 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

First off... on the NBA message board they are saying people paid their hard earned money to watch the Spurs... REALLY???? I THOUGHT THE SPURS WERE BORING AND NO ONE WANTED TO SEE THEM... all those fans are just bandwagon fans and all they want to see is lebron and wade anyway.. so what's the problem????

Old 11-29-12, 10:56 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

The boys played well and accounted for themself better than most teams have, great for us to blood players and see what they can do.....

But that doesn't stop the fact that we are a product that we want more people to buy into and by not even having TP or Danny there we put out the replacements, and that is not our best product.

If I didn't have cable or league pass and this is the first time I saw the Spurs play nationally I did not see our best and so I may buy into somewhere else.

Sure some may be drawn by the band of Mighty Ducks that got close to the league champs when noone expected it, but the sad fact is fans like us that are already in loved seeing that but in large those undecided probably went "yeah I heard the Spurs were boring and most if all highlights here were from the Heat so maybe I will follow them".

So from team development probably better for us and I am happy with the result but if we want more followers we didn't do ourself favours on national TV.... although if we can emphasise that Pop was protest sitting to get at Stern we may get some.
Old 11-29-12, 11:13 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

spurs lost
Old 11-30-12, 01:49 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Pop sent his message LOUD and CLEAR directly to the NBA League officials that Spurs Org. is MAD about this scheduling and could care less about the hype and the TV ratings.

Well Done Pop!

Stern was trying to bark a little and might have some beef on the NBA fans being disappointed blah blah however, I can see how fans could get mad here but Pop has the better reason of this argument in regards to the FREEDOM to defend his RIGHTS as a Head COACH who wants to run his team the way he sees it RIGHT. And Rightfully Pop was legit 100% and I LOVED his decision.

This time Pop might have to face some adversaries such as a HEFTY FINE form the NBA or maybe a suspension who knows?

But I am sure it will be worth it for our Small Market Spurs Franchise who only have limited salary to spend on players and have to live with what they can afford and look for the best of the players health which is our most important asset!

I HATED to see us lose to the Heat but I LOVE my Spurs more than I hate the loss. I do want my Spurs to stay healthy. Nothing is wrong with that!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 11-30-12, 06:34 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

The Spurs have gotten more national publicity out of this one event than they normally do over the entire season and all because Stern got all New York lawyer angry and had a temper tantrum.
Old 11-30-12, 07:00 AM
SR 2013 Pick the Winner Champ & Rookie of the Year

The spurs bench players most likely played a better and more entertaining game against the heat than the wizards have/will play but no one here talks about sanctioning the wiz for being terrible.

I saw someone on twitter "quoting" popovic a la gladiator, telling Stern "Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained. Is that not why you are here?" (gladiator voice)
Old 11-30-12, 07:26 AM
SR Team Goof

You know, after the Heat game, our schedule don't get any better in the next 10 days with six more on the road.

However, if you flash forward to right after the annual rodeo road trip, the Spurs have a redeeming March schedule with 12 of the 14 games at home. And with the playoffs right around the corner from that, this could be beneficial in the end.

But I, for one, cannot condone Stern's public outcry and treatment of the Pop's resting his players after after this past road trip. I don't stand behind Pop for his decision ------- I stand beside him and I think it's righteous for him to do this. He knows his players and their limitations and given their age factor and our just beginning this new season, we need our players to be on strong legs for the upcoming season schedule. Right on, Pop.
Old 11-30-12, 07:48 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

In reality the March and April schedule is beneficial to the Spurs, I think Pop wants to make sure they get there in relative good health and if Stern fines the Spurs then at the end of the year he needs to fine all those teams that start tanking for better drafting position.
Old 11-30-12, 08:09 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Those Miami fans paid hard earned money to watch the Spurs?
Really?
I thought they paid hard earned money to watch the Heat.
Since when are we responsible for the value of Miami Heat tickets?

$
Old 11-30-12, 08:27 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I will say this:

Popovich could easily accomplish his stated goal of resting players by staggering the games in which they sit out. For example, Manu and Duncan could have rested against Orlando, and Parker and Green against Miami.

There are two reasons I can think of that Pop would sit all the starters at once.

1. He knows it will piss off the media and the league, and he wants to shove it at them. (applause)

2. He wants to give the bench the experience of having full responsibility of the game on their hands, and use this as a team-building opportunity. (appluase)

The fact that Pop sits all the guys at once tells me that this is not completely about "rest", even though most of it is. There is also another agenda or consideration by Popovich here that we aren't fully aware of.

$
Old 11-30-12, 08:53 AM
SR Team Goof

You know if Pop had sat Manu, TD and TP for the Orlando game and played them for the televised Miami game, this would all be a moot point.

I guess the next order of business for Stern is to bypass the team ownership and establish a league rule where by each team will submit their active team roster and their starting lineup to the Commissioner’s office for final approval before game time. He will cite ‘executive privilege’ as his precedence.
Old 11-30-12, 08:58 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
You know if Pop had sat Manu, TD and TP for the Orlando game and played them for the televised Miami game, this would all be a moot point.
You're wrong, this would not be a moot point, this is exactly the point.

Why do the attendees at the Miami game have the right to see the Spurs' stars but it's ok for the Orlando fans to miss out? Is Miami more special than Orlando?

You honestly think that this game was nationally televised so that the nation could see the Spurs, or so that the nation could see LeBron and Wade?

The TV revenue for playoff games is far greater than that for these early season televised games. It would benefit the league if the Spurs rested now so that they were healthy to be seen on TV in the playoffs. Look what happened to the Bulls, they played Rose in garbage time last year at the start of the playoffs, then he got hurt and missed everything. Should Stern penalize the Bulls for not resting Rose to prevent that injury?

$

Last edited by Money4Nothing; 11-30-12 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-30-12, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

agree!
Old 11-30-12, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombear View Post
First off... on the NBA message board they are saying people paid their hard earned money to watch the Spurs... REALLY???? I THOUGHT THE SPURS WERE BORING AND NO ONE WANTED TO SEE THEM... all those fans are just bandwagon fans and all they want to see is lebron and wade anyway.. so what's the problem????

AGREE!
Old 11-30-12, 11:10 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
You're wrong, this would not be a moot point, this is exactly the point.

Why do the attendees at the Miami game have the right to see the Spurs' stars but it's ok for the Orlando fans to miss out? Is Miami more special than Orlando?

You honestly think that this game was nationally televised so that the nation could see the Spurs, or so that the nation could see LeBron and Wade?

The TV revenue for playoff games is far greater than that for these early season televised games. It would benefit the league if the Spurs rested now so that they were healthy to be seen on TV in the playoffs. Look what happened to the Bulls, they played Rose in garbage time last year at the start of the playoffs, then he got hurt and missed everything. Should Stern penalize the Bulls for not resting Rose to prevent that injury?$
I see your point but I don’t agree with it. Fans pay to see a game played by athletes to be entertained and in this case, basketball. Besides football and rugby, basketball is one of the more demanding sports being played today which calls for the athletes to be physically fit to compete. These athletes are paid a large sum of money in the form of a salary to put on the uniform and it’s in the best interests of the team ownership to insure these athletes maintain a standard physical condition to sustain them through a tough 82 game schedule.

Now, it’s already been published that the Spurs, before this road trip, had 2 of their top 7 players sidelined due to injury (Leonard, Jackson) which calls for all of the remaining roster to step up and play additional minutes. The Spurs also played their 6th game in 9 days; 4th game this week, both back-to-back (Sun-Mon, Wed-Thurs) with the Sunday game against Toronto going to overtime. There are other factors about the Spurs schedule I won’t waste your time with but let’s take a look at Miami. They’re playing at home, their 1st game since Saturday and their 5th game in 2 weeks. And according to the NBA injury report, only Battier and Pittman were injured, both questionable for last night’s game. Aside from that, the Miami roster was full strength and well rested.

If the Miami fans feel deprived of sorts for not seeing Ginobili, Duncan, Parker and Green in uniform, I feel for them. And if Commissioner Stern feels slighted, tough sh*t. In my mind, the welfare and health of our players are paramount and someone else’s vanity takes a back seat.

Now, if the Spurs were to have rolled into the American Airlines arena in full strength (minus Leonard,Jackson) and either Ginobili, Duncan, Parker or Green had sustained an injury that could incapacitate them for the remainder of the season, then I would have been pissed, along with a large contingent of Spurs fans wondering, along with the Spurs brain trust, if this could have been avoided earlier.

Coach Popovich has already established precedence for taking care of his players and watching the number of minutes they play per game. And being the start of the season, he doesn’t want to head into March/April with a lot of players on the injured list. Pop is not revered throughout the league for being a dummy. He has players and coaches everywhere who have nothing but gracious words to compliment his strategies and fair play. And the Spurs organization did not receive acclaim for the best franchise in all sports for mismanagement. Even after the game, he received glowing words from Lebron James and the TNT broadcasters.

If Commissioner Stern has some hard-*n against the Spurs organization or Coach Pop individually, he should take himself in hand and satisfy the problem. After Stern’s personal involvement with the New Orleans franchise last year and with this latest fiasco, I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if the NBA owners were to huddle and come up with a plan to ouster the Commish. And if Stern feels the need to levy a fine on the Spurs or Pop or both, I am inclined to help donate funds to help pay it.
Old 11-30-12, 11:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Why does anyone care about this at all? I thought the Spurs were boring and old! So instead of a blowout by the old slow guys the whole USA got treated to a close exciting game. Maybe everyone is really upset because it exposed the weak NBA Champions!
Old 11-30-12, 12:22 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I have a great protest idea for the Spurs, are you listening Pop?

Sit out all the players for the Memphis game and suit up the coaches! Maybe he should wait until the Jazz game on ESPN? :-)
Old 11-30-12, 12:27 PM
SR Team Goof

Amen brother. Me thinks ol’ Davey boy has a bone to pick and since it was Thursday, Pop and the Spurs happen to be on his menu. But I think his strategy kind of backfired and as you say, the viewing populace got treated to a really good game to watch, with the majority of onlookers, I’d wager to say, were probably rooting for the Spurs. And Pop and our guys didn’t disappoint. We played with only 8 players and they gave it their all. I couldn’t help but notice in the final minute or so in the game that the Heat looked a bit panicked. I couldn’t have been more proud of our team, and on national TV. Really good for public relations, Spurs-wise. Now it's the Commissioner's move.
Old 11-30-12, 12:34 PM
SR Team Goof

I think I can speak for a lot of Spurs fans and say this is for you, Commissioner Stern --- turn up the volume Dave so you can hear it:

http://warriorsmovie.co.uk/content/s...lips/clip1.mp3
Old 11-30-12, 01:55 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I have heard a team is only as good as the weakest player. Had Allan have missed the 3 pointer we would have won. What the casual viewer wants is a close game. That is what they got. Nuff said.
Old 11-30-12, 02:40 PM
SR Team Goof

And if you noticed, Allen and the rest of the Heat team responded as if they'd won the championship. Wow, some accomplishment on their home court with only a weeks rest.
Old 11-30-12, 02:46 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think that the San Antonio fans should be the ones who are sanctioned. To compensate for Miami fans not getting the see the Spurs' big 3, when Miami comes to town, they should be forced to sit Wade, LeBron, and Bosh.

Fair's fair!

$
Old 11-30-12, 04:26 PM
SR Team Goof

Whichever way you cut it, the bottom line and fact is that Miami’s whole team got schlacked (schooled) on their home court in front of their adoring fans and on national television, including his highness Commissioner Stern, by the Spurs’ bench!!! And I’d wager that each and every member of the Spurs squad got a good night’s sleep afterward. Hallelujah!!
Old 11-30-12, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money4Nothing View Post
I think that the San Antonio fans should be the ones who are sanctioned. To compensate for Miami fans not getting the see the Spurs' big 3, when Miami comes to town, they should be forced to sit Wade, LeBron, and Bosh.

Fair's fair!

$
They did that last year in SA... so ???