News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-12, 09:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Should we try and pluck a big from the 0-12 Wizards

They'll be looking to shake some thing up and might be right for the picking.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-12, 10:50 PM
SpursReport Team Member

ive always thought we should try and get seraphan
NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-27-12, 11:08 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Yes, Okafor, I've always said Okafor, I believe he would be the best fit, defensive big who can score and athletic, would be a big help
Old 11-28-12, 08:45 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvernblackfan View Post
Yes, Okafor, I've always said Okafor, I believe he would be the best fit, defensive big who can score and athletic, would be a big help
NBA Trade Machine - ESPN
Bonner and Sjax straight up for Okafor. I would like either Varejao or Okafor to supplant our big rotation. Either would do wonders and its highly unlikely the spurs re-sign Sjax this summer so might as well try to get something out of it especially now that he is out and that Wizards are tumbling. Who knows, maybe S-Jax would re-sign on the cheap after his contract expires just to be a part of another championship team in SA

- Confucius
Old 11-28-12, 01:07 PM

right now we're playing at a very high level. we only really need 3 bigs who can produce well and we're getting that with Duncan/Splitter/Diaw. the plus side on that is that Blair doesn't have to produce monster numbers with the starters and the other 2 off the bench are giving us a huge boost. i'd hate to give up Jackson for anyone right now because that would kill any hope of small ball in our favor against the Heat or Thunder, even the Lakers.
Old 11-28-12, 01:57 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
right now we're playing at a very high level. we only really need 3 bigs who can produce well and we're getting that with Duncan/Splitter/Diaw. the plus side on that is that Blair doesn't have to produce monster numbers with the starters and the other 2 off the bench are giving us a huge boost. i'd hate to give up Jackson for anyone right now because that would kill any hope of small ball in our favor against the Heat or Thunder, even the Lakers.
i agree this team is playing well right now and lets see if they can find a good big for the min by the end of the season.
Old 11-28-12, 02:02 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
The Spurs are playing well now but does that honestly matter?????? What matters is Apr/Jun, that's it.....I could care less how they play right now. Splitter has had only a few good games all season and Diaw has played like crap all season until about 2 games ago. Let's not get too excited just yet. I'd be willing to give up SJax if it wasn't for the injuries that the Spurs have at the 3 position. It'll be interesting to see who is avaliable when the trade deadline is near.
Old 11-28-12, 02:50 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
The Spurs are playing well now but does that honestly matter?????? What matters is Apr/Jun, that's it.....I could care less how they play right now. Splitter has had only a few good games all season and Diaw has played like crap all season until about 2 games ago. Let's not get too excited just yet. I'd be willing to give up SJax if it wasn't for the injuries that the Spurs have at the 3 position. It'll be interesting to see who is avaliable when the trade deadline is near.
I have to agree with esparzar. Up until last week, Diaw was just awful this season. I even wrote about that saying that it seems the more he becomes entrenched in our system, the more robotic/less free he plays. That was true until his two consecutive double digit scoring games. Splitter, however, I think can keep his play up and should be able to do so with regular minutes.
I understnad where Jose is coming from with how the team is playing, but S-Jax is injured and I am a big fan of his,I would trade for Varejao any day. You're telling me you would not feel confident against any lineup with him, splitter and TD. To be honest, we might even be able to keep S-Jax and make a deal with CLE with the likes of Diaw, Blair, Neal and Joseph. They want young pieces so Blair and Joseph make sense, while the other two are more for cap reasons. If we were able to swing a deal for another fellow Brazilian to play alongside Tiago, I'm all for it especially if it means we get to keep S-Jax.

- Confucius
Old 11-28-12, 02:59 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Old 11-28-12, 04:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Yeah, it wasn't broke the last 2 years in the playoffs and the results were the same, no big stepped up to help Duncan. So should we repeat this process til Tim is gone, or pony up and makea move, if it's beneficial.
Old 11-28-12, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
Yeah, it wasn't broke the last 2 years in the playoffs and the results were the same, no big stepped up to help Duncan. So should we repeat this process til Tim is gone, or pony up and makea move, if it's beneficial.
i agree with this. i wouldn't count last year too much since the team didn't build too much chemistry without close games. we had 3 newbies here and once everything got tight vs OKC, no one knew what to do on the court except try to go 1 on 1. Splitter's way better than last year too, so take that into account.

i'd take Nene in a heartbeat because he's probably their only big who can consistently try to create on his own close to the rim, something that we need. anyone else doesn't fit that mold. Okafor relies more on a passive game and is too expensive for a one dimensional mentality. i wouldn't mind a decent trade, but we're not in the Nazr-2005 type scenario where we have Horry to take the majority of the minutes. if we trade for a big and offer up any of the ones we have right now (probably Splitter), we're going to have to rely on that big for the majority of the time in a new system. if we give up Jackson and Splitter together, then the idea of a small ball bail out for Pop is out of the question and we're in need of a backup forward.
Old 11-28-12, 06:22 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
i agree with this. i wouldn't count last year too much since the team didn't build too much chemistry without close games. we had 3 newbies here and once everything got tight vs OKC, no one knew what to do on the court except try to go 1 on 1. Splitter's way better than last year too, so take that into account.

i'd take Nene in a heartbeat because he's probably their only big who can consistently try to create on his own close to the rim, something that we need. anyone else doesn't fit that mold. Okafor relies more on a passive game and is too expensive for a one dimensional mentality. i wouldn't mind a decent trade, but we're not in the Nazr-2005 type scenario where we have Horry to take the majority of the minutes. if we trade for a big and offer up any of the ones we have right now (probably Splitter), we're going to have to rely on that big for the majority of the time in a new system. if we give up Jackson and Splitter together, then the idea of a small ball bail out for Pop is out of the question and we're in need of a backup forward.
Quote:
José, nobody is mentioning both splitter and SJax being moved. For the right price, yes both would be moved but IMO no chance both are shipped. Nene is out of the question as his price is roughly $15m, almost double to Varejao $8M tag. Quite frankly Varejao is what we all want in a big. Doesn't demand ball on Offensive end, yet is scrappy on the defensive end and rebounding where he could get easy buckets. Mr Jones is right that we need better production from our bigs deep in the season heading into playoffs. Splitter is def improving and am hopeful we will resign, but I would love for him to paired with his countrymen Varejao, not Nene who is a pipedream at $15m (especially dealin with plantar fasciitis)

- Confucius
Old 11-28-12, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
José, nobody is mentioning both splitter and SJax being moved. For the right price, yes both would be moved but IMO no chance both are shipped. Nene is out of the question as his price is roughly $15m, almost double to Varejao $8M tag. Quite frankly Varejao is what we all want in a big. Doesn't demand ball on Offensive end, yet is scrappy on the defensive end and rebounding where he could get easy buckets. Mr Jones is right that we need better production from our bigs deep in the season heading into playoffs. Splitter is def improving and am hopeful we will resign, but I would love for him to paired with his countrymen Varejao, not Nene who is a pipedream at $15m (especially dealin with plantar fasciitis)
if we trade for anyone relevant, it's going to take an expiring deal and a big in return. Varajeo is playing too insanely good to even think about trading for him. it would have to take a Ginobili or Parker to have the Cavs think about that. Varejao is more of a pipe dream than anyone we can trade for.

the posts were on a type of Wizards "fire sale" going on with their winless record. they're looking to change their coach, so their players aren't going to come cheap. even Seraphin would cost us a Stephen Jackson or would at least take a bad contract in return to make it work. it's all a pipe dream, but my point was Nene would be the best value to win now even if he earns a lot. he's come back playing very well after his injury, it's the coach's decision to play him limited minutes and games. his injury isn't serious either, heck even Duncan in 06 played at an elite level with that injury.
Old 11-28-12, 08:29 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
if we trade for anyone relevant, it's going to take an expiring deal and a big in return. Varajeo is playing too insanely good to even think about trading for him. it would have to take a Ginobili or Parker to have the Cavs think about that. Varejao is more of a pipe dream than anyone we can trade for.

the posts were on a type of Wizards "fire sale" going on with their winless record. they're looking to change their coach, so their players aren't going to come cheap. even Seraphin would cost us a Stephen Jackson or would at least take a bad contract in return to make it work. it's all a pipe dream, but my point was Nene would be the best value to win now even if he earns a lot. he's come back playing very well after his injury, it's the coach's decision to play him limited minutes and games. his injury isn't serious either, heck even Duncan in 06 played at an elite level with that injury.
I disagree about it taking Parker or ginobili to get Varejao. Cle made it clear they want a youth movement so between draft picks and some young pieces would do it. I'd like nene here but he's too much. Varejaos contract is a lot more cap friendly which is in line with what our FO is seeking. Nene would be deviating from the norm and consequently, he's be our highest paid player. We need to realistic. Varejao is playing well now but with his expiring contract and injury history, Cleveland would not get equal in return, thus making it all more vital to offer draft picks in addition to a package of Blair, Joseph, Neal , etc. might be a pipedream but certainly more of a reality than netting Nene who is yet to be healthy for his team

- Confucius
Old 11-28-12, 08:32 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Only way to get Nene would be Jackson,Bonner and probably Mills of Joseph. That would be close enough to that 15 million price tag. But I'll put the pipe down now!
Old 11-28-12, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
I disagree about it taking Parker or ginobili to get Varejao. Cle made it clear they want a youth movement so between draft picks and some young pieces would do it. I'd like nene here but he's too much. Varejaos contract is a lot more cap friendly which is in line with what our FO is seeking. Nene would be deviating from the norm and consequently, he's be our highest paid player. We need to realistic. Varejao is playing well now but with his expiring contract and injury history, Cleveland would not get equal in return, thus making it all more vital to offer draft picks in addition to a package of Blair, Joseph, Neal , etc. might be a pipedream but certainly more of a reality than netting Nene who is yet to be healthy for his team
Varajeo is averaging 14.5ppg and 9.1rpg. he's had ten 15+ rebound games and two 20+ rebound games this season so far. his price tag isn't his contract value, it's more talent. if they wanted to trade him for anything, we'd be at the bottom of the list at possibilities.

Quote:
Only way to get Nene would be Jackson,Bonner and probably Mills of Joseph. That would be close enough to that 15 million price tag. But I'll put the pipe down now!
you should put down the pipe because he's at $13 million, not $15 mill. an expiring contract and a filler in Bonner on a bad team would be suffice if you caught them on a lowly enough day where they were ready to give up on an embarrassing season.

then again, i only said Nene IF we were going to make a trade because he's the most relevant Wizard right now. Bringing in a Seraphrim wouldn't do much good, hell he wouldn't play over Duncan/Diaw/Splitter anyway, so he'd he warming up our bench. Spurs trading for a bench warmer instead of someone relevant would be a worse than a no trade.
Old 11-29-12, 01:49 PM
SR Team Goof

I don't think the Wizards are likely to part with any of their star players anytime soon. They're on a winning streak they've never experienced this season and I think they want to ride the ecstasy of winning. :sarcasm