SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   4 games in 5 nights... ridiculous (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117875-4-games-5-nights-ridiculous.html)

exit7 11-27-12 12:36 PM

4 games in 5 nights... ridiculous

If I'm not mistaken the lockout ended last year, and there was no carry over for this season. So can someone please explain to me how the NBA can't find a way to fit an 82 game schedule into 164 days (after taking out christmas eve, thanksgiving day and the all-star break), without having to squeeze four games into 5 nights like its 1999??

The back -to-backs I can stomach, I think there are far too many of them but I can see how they are a necessary evil. Think about this though, after the Spurs play the Heat on Thursday night they will have played 17 games. In the same time span the Wizards will have played 13, Minnesota 14 and Milwaukee 13. Why the disparity? Why does San Antonio need a six game road trip in November, when we have a 9 game roadie in February?

I went through the schedules of seven teams (LAL, MIA, SAS, OKC, MEM, NYK, LAC). Here is a breakdown of how many 4 games in 5 night sets they play:

LA Lakers- 1
Miami Heat- 2
Oklahoma City- 2
Memphis- 1
San Antonio- 2
New York- 4!!:yikes
LA Clippers- 4!!:yikes

It just seems strange to me that they can manage to only schedule 1 of these sets for one team, but then a team like the Clippers have to play 4, one each month from Dec-March.

Right now NBA teams are 17-12 in these situations, which isn't a terrible win percentage (58.6%), but when you consider a team like the Heat has 3 losses and 2 of them came in one of these stretches of games, it seems like they are important. Is it really necessary to have these?
I think its bad for the game, the Spurs play the Heat on thursday and it will be their fourth game in five nights. I still think they can win, but I won't be shocked if they are a little flat.

Eddy from Austin 11-27-12 01:25 PM

Uwe Blab 11-27-12 01:29 PM

Not only that, the Heat have been off for 4 days.

exit7 11-27-12 02:34 PM

It doesn't make sense, the Heat had 4 games in 5 nights, then follow that up with 3 games in 12 nights...

RealMadrid12 11-27-12 02:34 PM

The fakers have only three games this week,all home games versus Indiana today,Denver at home friday and Orlando at home sunday and they havent played since saturday versus Dallas and of theIR first 17 games of their season 13 have been at home...really NBA?

Rzarector7 11-27-12 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealMadrid12 (Post 1287598)
The fakers have only three games this week,all home games versus Indiana today,Denver at home friday and Orlando at home sunday and they havent played since saturday versus Dallas and of theIR first 17 games of their season 13 have been at home...really NBA?

Why are we still surprised by this?

Eddy from Austin 11-27-12 02:58 PM

The Lakers definitely have not taken advantage of their easy schedule so far. But is going to catch up with them with a lot of road games.

It sucks that they don't have but one stretch of 4 games in 5 nights vs 4 for the Clippers.

Besides both of those teams get 2 less road games than the rest of the NBA by sharing the Staples Center.

exit7 11-30-12 02:49 PM

apparently Pop thinks this is as ridiculous as we do. I love it!!

alh1020 11-30-12 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddy from Austin (Post 1287600)
....Besides both of those teams get 2 less road games than the rest of the NBA by sharing the Staples Center.

Very good point. And it cuts down on their travel expenses too. I propose they play those games on a neutral site, like Hazard Kentucky or Minot ND.