News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-12, 04:51 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

On Harden's Max Deal: Parker says Sacrifice Gets You Championships

Thunder working hard to get past post-Harden shock | NBA.com

Parker does not begrudge Harden asking for, and getting, a max deal for almost $80 million from Houston. But he preferred having the best chance to win a title with the Spurs, and he knew he'd have to shave a little to put the best possible team around him and Duncan and Ginobili. "On the one hand, you can take less money like I did, like what Manu did, and stay with a winning team," Parker said. "Or you can do your own thing and be your own man, like [Tracy] McGrady, and try to be a superstar and want to make the All-Star team, and [Harden] decided to do that. I wish him luck. Both ways, you can't go wrong. It depends who you want to be. "A lot of people ask me, 'How are you so successful in San Antonio?' Because, I say, we did a lot of sacrifice. When you look at Manu, Manu did a lot of sacrifice to stay here. I did the same thing. Sometimes when you want to win championships, you have to do that."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-12, 07:33 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

so true

- Confucius
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-06-12, 10:49 AM
The Amazing!

Tony is one cool cat. Think even some Spurs fans forget that sometimes.
Old 11-06-12, 10:58 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

TP is awesome!
He understands Championship + Greed don't mix!
On Spurs level too (not on OKC lever ever.... because those ediots just won wcf not any rings.. So they cant say a Sh!t) Pop's system + humble TD & Manu work hand in hand to make it happen.
I asked them if it wasn't too much trouble, if I wasn't being too pushy, if they could execute what we were trying to do. And if it didn't make them too angry, if they also wanted to play some defense on the other end, that would be great.
--Gregg Popovich!
Old 11-06-12, 11:17 AM
SpursReport Team Member

That's all well and good until they decide to go Rajon Rondo on you and try to ship you out of town because you have a favorable contract. This is all on Presti and the Thunder ownership. Initially I said this was a great trade for all sides, but more and more I am thinking OKC shot themselves in the foot.

Harden Sought Trade Kicker In Extension Talks With Thunder - RealGM Wiretap

Quote:
During extension talks with the Oklahoma City Thunder, James Harden and his agent sought a 15 percent trade kicker.

Harden was entertaining taking less than a max contract, but wanted a financial incentive should the Thunder trade him.

The Thunder were offering Harden a four-year contract in the neighborhood of $53 million.

With the Houston Rockets, Harden will be able to sign a five-year contract.
Old 11-06-12, 04:20 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post
That's all well and good until they decide to go Rajon Rondo on you and try to ship you out of town because you have a favorable contract. This is all on Presti and the Thunder ownership. Initially I said this was a great trade for all sides, but more and more I am thinking OKC shot themselves in the foot.

Harden Sought Trade Kicker In Extension Talks With Thunder - RealGM Wiretap
Agreed. Its not like Harden was greedy (maybe a little) when asking for a trade kicker because he knew they would send him somewhere eventually. Either way it hurts OKC title chances

- Confucius
Old 11-06-12, 04:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I don't blame any player, ever, for asking for a trade kicker.

These are still people we are talking about. They get paid really well to play a game, but they still have lives outside the dozen hours we may see in a week.

You buy a house, you put your kids in school, you make friends in the neighborhood.
If the company you work for wants to transfer you, you get perquisites. Home sale allowances. Out of country living allowance. It's the same thing in the end.

A mid season trade would be even tougher. You leave your family for, essentially, the rest of the season. Bye, honey. See you in May or June!

Dude just wants to be compensated for a REAL inconvenience, if it happens. If it doesn't happen, no harm no foul.
Old 11-06-12, 05:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

This is another reason I like the Spurs. Team loyalty goes a long way.
Old 11-06-12, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

maybe tony should go out and get another championship w/ that sacrifice, rather than gettin shut down by okc.
Old 11-06-12, 08:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

IMO..... okc should have kept OHarden and try to trade westbrook for rondo
Old 11-06-12, 09:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcantgetright View Post
IMO..... okc should have kept OHarden and try to trade westbrook for rondo
Westbrook definitely should have been the one to go. Harden leaving will be their demise since thats one less playmaker on the team who handled the rock when paired with Durant and Westbrook. Not it forces Westbrook to be more of a distributor which we all know hes much better off shooting than that

- Confucius
Old 11-06-12, 09:46 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Good points by Tony.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 11-07-12, 11:44 AM

the Thunder gave the guy 1 hour to ponder the last contract offer. as much as Presti as been a Spurs guy, that's a punk move. if you wanted something to get done faster or sooner, you do it during the summer, not right before and then give the guy a ridiculous short amount of time. i don't blame him for a trade kicker, Manu has one too so whoever is against that needs to look at their own team first.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ontract-offer/

Quote:
“After everything we established – everything we had done – you give me an hour?” Harden told Yahoo! Sports on Monday afternoon. “This was one of the biggest decisions of my life. I wanted to go home and pray about it. It hurt me. It hurt.”
by the way, Tony talking about "sacrifice", isn't this the same guy who wanted to get traded if the Spurs signed Jason Kidd?? James Harden is still a young guy like Parker was and needs to take that into account.