SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   McDyess considering return? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117733-mcdyess-considering-return.html)

esparzar1 11-02-12 08:36 AM

McDyess considering return?

Antonio McDyess considering return to NBA - Yahoo! Sports

After sitting out a season in retirement, former All-Star forward Antonio McDyess is contemplating a return to the NBA.

McDyess, 38, has been working out in Houston and has instructed his agent, Andy Miller, to gauge league interest in him.

"He would consider coming back and I will be reaching out to select teams," Miller told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday night.
Long considered one of the consummate professionals and gentlemen in the NBA, McDyess played 15 seasons before retiring with the San Antonio Spurs in 2011. Several knee surgeries between 2001 and 2004 perhaps curtailed McDyess prime as perennial All-Star selection, but McDyess had several productive seasons as a role player with Detroit and San Antonio before leaving the league after the 2011 playoffs.
In his final season, McDyess averaged 5.3 points and 5.4 rebounds in 19 minutes a game for the Spurs.
For his career with Denver, Phoenix, New York, Detroit and the Spurs, McDyess averaged 12 points and 7.5 rebounds a game. McDyess was an All-Star in 2001, and won a gold medal with Team USA in the 2000 Olympic Games in Sydney. He was the second overall pick in the 1995 NBA Draft to the Los Angeles Clippers.

td4mvp2k 11-02-12 08:50 AM

If he is 100% and can still play then trade Blair and sign Dice by deadline.

Jose_TheGenius 11-02-12 08:52 AM

Dice > Bonner/Blair

with a mid ranger jumper, that'd make it way easy for Splitter in the paint

spurduncan21 11-02-12 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1286511)
Dice > Bonner/Blair

with a mid ranger jumper, that'd make it way easy for Splitter in the paint

If sheed can come back in his poor condition (known for not working out much) than McDyess can certainly come back if he wants. Question how much would be suffice for him to sign with a team? I'd take him at the vet minimum immediately. If we do consider signing, don't be at all surprised to see a trade with Blair and maybe a guard ahead of the trade deadline

Spurd_On 11-02-12 09:47 AM

This is music to my ears. He was a perfect fit in SA.
He knew when it was time to bow out of the NBA and I trust his judgement that he knows he is able and ready to contribute again.
One event that seems to have been passed over came at the end of pre-season when Pop said he would assess the team for 2 weeks. Pop is not known for releasing timelines on anything so it still stands out in my mind. Two weeks coincides with the end of the first Lakers game in mid November. If the Spurs decide that obtaining McDyess is a prudent move, I wouldn't be surprised if the wheels start turning then. Exactly what wheels would turn, I don't care to speculate.

alh1020 11-02-12 10:03 AM

Grab him. If we do get Dice, we know we'll get more than 100% effort every game plus a good defensive stopper, if his 38 year old legs are in shape. Besides, we have a roster spot available, don't we? Kind of makes you wonder if Pop and RC heard these rumblings during training camp before we let Curry, Powell and Brown go.

WILLTHETHRILL 11-02-12 10:56 AM

He should stay retired because of the fact the Spurs paid him last year and he didn't play. BUT..........I'd rather him over Bonner!

Jose_TheGenius 11-02-12 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1286522)
Grab him. If we do get Dice, we know we'll get more than 100% effort every game plus a good defensive stopper, if his 38 year old legs are in shape. Besides, we have a roster spot available, don't we? Kind of makes you wonder if Pop and RC heard these rumblings during training camp before we let Curry, Powell and Brown go.

agreed. one of the problems we had with Dice was that if he started vs. Tim, we had no backup big who can play man defense well and if he came off the bench, Blair did a horrible job on defense. if he can come off the bench with Tiago, he'd be a perfect man defender for the PF position while Splitter can solely focus on help defense

b1gdon 11-02-12 01:05 PM

Pass. Too old and I don't think his hiatus from basketball did him any wonders unless he was doing daily workouts. They always want to try to make one more comeback, but at age 38 with dodgy knees, I just don't see it happening.

Jose_TheGenius 11-02-12 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gdon (Post 1286550)
Pass. Too old and I don't think his hiatus from basketball did him any wonders unless he was doing daily workouts. They always want to try to make one more comeback, but at age 38 with dodgy knees, I just don't see it happening.

with a free roster spot, why not? if people here wanted Eddy Curry or Powell or even a G/F to be signed, McDyess at a discount wouldn't hurt at all (especially if it's non guaranteed). the worst thing that would happen would be that McDyess is behind Blair/Bonner in the rotations, the situation we're in right now anyway.

also remember, during the brief RJ era, McDyess was really one of our toughest guys out there. the bad part was that he was tough but didn't show it. with Jackson and Ginobili off the bench along with Splitter and hopefully a backup PG who is performing well all around, 2nd units would have fits with them.

Uwe Blab 11-02-12 03:20 PM

Meh, sure why not. Won't be the difference in winning a title, but it sure does help. He may even finally make everyone's wish come true and push Bonner to the end of the bench.

Jose_TheGenius 11-02-12 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1286565)
Meh, sure why not. Won't be the difference in winning a title, but it sure does help. He may even finally make everyone's wish come true and push Bonner to the end of the bench.

only if it's literal

fakemxcan 11-02-12 04:59 PM

id approve of his return to SA

MichaelWi101 11-02-12 06:07 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing him take Blair's and Bonner's 5-10 minutes per game. Can't see him as being much of a difference maker though, except he might be able to work with Tiago and help his game get better.

old timer 11-03-12 03:47 PM

Greatest value might locker room presence and extra practicability and size. Oh, and spot duty against certain combinations.

td4mvp2k 01-19-13 04:36 AM

Quote:

The Heat should be focused on luring Antonio McDyess as a midseason pickup — in the same way as P.J. Brown came out of retirement to help the Celtics win the 2007-08 championship — or on picking up a big man who has been waived after the trade deadline. Otherwise, they shouldn’t trade any of the assets that helped them win the championship last season.

Ian Thomsen/SI

I think the Spurs should see where Dice is. If they cant get another player and he can play then like Ive said before they need to let Blair go and get him before a team like the Heat do. He could do it.