News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-12, 09:19 AM
Official SR Home Builder

Official Home Opener Thunder at Spurs Game Thread

• These teams will be meeting for the first time since Oklahoma City defeated San Antonio in six games in the 2012 Western Conference Finals.
  • The Spurs won their season opener against New Orleans on Wednesday, 99-95, and will be looking to open the season with two consecutive wins for the second straight campaign.
  • The Thunder have won each of their last three season openers.
  • With 12,544 total rebounds, Tim Duncan is three shy of passing Charles Barkley for 17th place on the NBA's all-time rebounding list.
  • Kevin Durant averaged 29.5 points and shot 53.2 percent from the field against the Spurs in the 2012 postseason, while scoring at least 27 points in each of his three trips to San Antonio.
  • Kevin Martin is averaging 26.3 points and has made 19 three-pointers in his last six games against San Antonio. Martin has scored at least 20 points in 13 of his last 18 games against the Spurs.
  • Including the postseason, Tony Parker is averaging 24.5 points in his last eight games against the Thunder, while scoring at least 25 points four times in that span.

(AP) -- The Oklahoma City Thunder already faced a daunting task in trying to return to the NBA finals. That might have gotten even more difficult after last weekend's trade.

The Thunder now have to make another push for a title without reigning Sixth Man of the Year James Harden, a quest they begin on the road Thursday night in a Western Conference finals rematch against the San Antonio Spurs.

With All-Stars Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook leading the way, the Thunder (47-19) took a major step last season with the franchise's first appearance in the NBA finals since the Seattle SuperSonics lost to Chicago in 1996.

After rallying from a 2-0 deficit against San Antonio to claim the West crown - ending the Spurs' 20-game overall winning streak in the process - Oklahoma City won the series opener versus Miami but dropped the next four games.

With their young core of Durant, Westbrook and Serge Ibaka already locked up to long-term contracts, the Thunder tried to keep Harden as part of that group, but couldn't get a deal worked out. Instead, they sent the swingman and three other players to Houston on Saturday for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb, a pair of first-round picks and a second-round selection.

Martin averaged 17.1 points last season and more than 20 in each of the previous five campaigns. Lamb, the No. 12 overall pick in this year's draft, helped lead Connecticut to an NCAA title in 2011.

General manager Sam Presti said the Thunder still expect to contend for the title.

"With the group that we have, they've been through a lot together and they've won a lot of games together. So, for us, of course we're always going to feel like we've got a chance to do good things," Presti said. "However, I would also add that it's never been our approach to do a lot of talking about what it is we're going to do or who we are.

"I think we're at a point as a franchise where we have to do what we say."

With their bench undergoing some big changes, the Thunder might need some help from their lone 2012 draft pick, Perry Jones III, veteran post player Nick Collison and guard Eric Maynor, who was limited to nine games last season because of a knee injury.

Those players will try to begin contributing against the Spurs, who may not have one of their stars available for this game. Manu Ginobili missed Wednesday's season opener in New Orleans because of back spasms.

The 35-year-old Ginobili sat out four of the team's eight preseason games due to problems with his back.

With their two-time All-Star guard missing, the Spurs trailed by double digits in the first half against a Hornets team that won 21 games in 2011-12 - 29 fewer than San Antonio's West-leading total. Tim Duncan, though, led his team to a 99-95 victory by scoring 24 points and Tony Parker, who finished with 23, hit a go-ahead 3-pointer in the final minute.

"If Timmy doesn't do what he does, that's a loss for us," coach Gregg Popovich said. "We put in some plays for him, but it was just his determination down the stretch that got us the win."
Parker has averaged 24.5 points over his last eight matchups with the Thunder, including postseason, and had a season-high 42 in a 107-96 home victory Feb. 4.

Durant scored 34 in the clinching win for Oklahoma City in the West finals and averaged 29.5 on 53.2 percent shooting in the series. Westbrook shot only 37.8 percent over the six games but averaged 24.0 points in the final two.

Martin has averaged 26.3 points and made 39.6 percent of his 3-point attempts (19 of 48) in his last six games against San Antonio.
Old 11-01-12, 10:29 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Should be interesting to se how the new look Thunder play. I gotta also think the Spurs 3pt shooting will drmatically improve from last night. Close game but Spurs previal.

Spurs 101

Thunder 96
Old 11-01-12, 11:10 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

The lack of bench minutes last night sours my enthusiasm for the outcome of this game. I'll be looking for the bench to step up to the plate and change my attitude.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-12, 12:37 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Spurs 105
Thunder 99
Old 11-01-12, 01:17 PM
SpursReport Team Member

They have a shot with the Thunder who are looking for a new 6th man.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-01-12, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td4mvp2k View Post
They have a shot with the Thunder who are looking for a new 6th man.
that's Kevin Martin. i would seriously be surprised if they start Martin and bring Sefolosha off the bench because that bench would have no legit scorer at all (Maynor's good but not 6th man material good).
Old 11-01-12, 03:08 PM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Seriously the Thunder would bring PO memories back and they deserve to be punked here in San Antonio where our HOME is!!!

My blood is boiling every time I remember last year's PO Spurs melt down in Oklahoma... Those OKC must lost tonight! It is only fair that we mop the floor with them tonight! Sorry but I can't stand those OKC's!

Spurs despite the exhaust from last night win... Will still SHOW UP at the Home Opener. Just my gut feeling!

Pop would probably rightfully preserve the Big Three minutes after last night long minutes.... But the RESERVE will carry this team and get the W!

Go Spurs Go Bring the W and the JUICE! Don't lose this one please!~!

Spurs 102
Okc 92

Go Spurs Go
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 11-01-12, 05:20 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Second game of the season already?

Looks like that I came out of my usual off-season hibernate a bit too late.
Old 11-01-12, 07:16 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I see us going down tonight. Spurs played last night, don't seem to quite be in game shape yet, and OKC has lost Harden but gained quite a bit back (Maynor, Martin, Jones).
Old 11-01-12, 10:10 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

The grey unis? Thoughts...?
Old 11-01-12, 11:54 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Great win! I like the new uniforms. Never was a fan of the silver ones in the past, but I like these.
Old 11-02-12, 12:19 AM

look comfy like PJ's
Old 11-02-12, 12:23 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I sure as hell like them better than those CHAPS unis haha

- Confucius
Old 11-02-12, 01:05 AM
SpursReport 2012 Pick The Winner Champion

Tony PARKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Freak!!!! Thanks TP 9! You officially Rock! Way to go TONY!

Parker's Clutch Jumper | video | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Very well deserved W for my Spurs!

Tim was GREAT! HUGE! TD made it start to happen but Captain Jack and Tony and Leonard and Green played awesome!

Great W after an UGLY Game!
Served them right to lose dos OKC's

One thing is true Russel Westbrook brings the BEAST out of TP9 and I am loving that FIRE inside TP9!! Because it is fundamental!
You all Rock ROCK ROCK! SO HAPPY!!!!!!

Go Spurs Go!!!!
Old 11-02-12, 03:52 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurscrazed View Post

Tony PARKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Le Freak!!!! Thanks TP 9! You officially Rock! Way to go TONY!

Parker's Clutch Jumper | video | THE OFFICIAL SITE OF THE SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Very well deserved W for my Spurs!

Tim was GREAT! HUGE! TD made it start to happen but Captain Jack and Tony and Leonard and Green played awesome!

Great W after an UGLY Game!
Served them right to lose dos OKC's

One thing is true Russel Westbrook brings the BEAST out of TP9 and I am loving that FIRE inside TP9!! Because it is fundamental!
They hung in there and did their thing!

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 11-02-12, 06:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

It was great to see them persever without MANU

- Confucius
Old 11-02-12, 10:16 AM
SR Team Goof

I also want to thank Chip Engelland for working with TP and his outside jumper! Solid second half by all, especially Kawhi and his magic hands. My nails on my left hand are almost gone.