SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Ginobili ruled out of Spurs season opener against Hornets (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117713-ginobili-ruled-out-spurs-season-opener-against-hornets.html)

Eddy from Austin 10-29-12 01:33 PM

Ginobili ruled out of Spurs season opener against Hornets

Posted on October 29, 2012 at 1:26 pm by Mike Monroe

Still suffering from back issues, Spurs guard Manu Ginobili won’t make the trip to New Orleans for Wednesday’s regular season opener against the Hornets.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said Ginobili, who missed Friday’s pre-season finale against the Washington Wizards because of back spasms, tried to participate in Monday’s practice session but was not able to finish the session.

“He’s not going to travel to New Orleans and we’re going to assess him again on Thursday,” Popovich said of the 35-year-old two-time All-Star. “He still feels his back. He tried to get on the court today and he couldn’t do it.”

esparzar1 10-29-12 01:55 PM

and so it begins.................:banghead

Rzarector7 10-29-12 02:30 PM

Yep, the season is about to begin..... Clockwork.

Uwe Blab 10-29-12 02:50 PM

Will be interesting. Back spasms do not go away easily.

RealMadrid12 10-29-12 03:44 PM

Already out of the lineup? woow, different year , same story.

td4mvp2k 10-29-12 05:08 PM

Good call vs Hornets. What about vs the Thunder?

katyspursfan 10-29-12 05:20 PM

He won't be needed against Harden. Therefore, he'll sit.

Until, roughly, mid November.

alh1020 10-29-12 05:25 PM

Sad. Starting the season with walking wounded is not a good sign ........ again. Someone on the bench is going to get some additional playing time early this season. Back spasms are not something to fool around with in the early season, particularly if your name is Manu Ginobili. This could be a long season for the 35 year old.

Spurd_On 10-29-12 05:41 PM

I think this is, in part, why the Spurs loaded up on guards. The other part is that Mills has aspirations to be a starting point guard in the league so he is likely gone when the opportunity arises.

spurduncan21 10-29-12 07:03 PM

Watch De Colo play well and hopefully demand minutes. I hope to GOD POP does NOT roll a second lineup with both Neal and Mills as the backcourt tandem. I understand the knock on De COlo is hes not the strongest shooter and I sincerely hope he can quiet the doubters from the get go. Its not the start the matters, its how we finish. We were healthy last season heading into the playoffs but the chemistry and shift of focus from both coaching staff and players did us in against OKC. Hopefully training camp worked to strengthen our squad and the FO will address the glaring issue down low sometime this season en route to #5. Lets get it SPURS fans. Get healthy MANU (although I'm sure POP is just being cautious more than anything else)

El Fanatico 10-29-12 09:08 PM

A couple Manu injuries worked out pretty well last year.

spurduncan21 10-29-12 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Fanatico (Post 1286319)
A couple Manu injuries worked out pretty well last year.

Lets hope this one shows De Colos value and earns PT

SilverSpur 10-30-12 05:28 AM

Most expensive player on the roster.. expiring contract... tradable commodity.

I keep saying it.

spurduncan21 10-30-12 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSpur (Post 1286324)
Most expensive player on the roster.. expiring contract... tradable commodity.

I keep saying it.

This is San Antonio! Not OKC or any other Nba franchise. Sorry I just had to sound off like the "this is Sparta" line from 300. Manu will be here until he retires. Take it to the bank

SleepyAdamII 10-30-12 10:49 AM

I wonder if we "Mariano Rivera" Manu. Keep him out to 5 mins a game and play the other guards Decolo and Neal and Mills, until the playoffs. I'd like to have Manu 100+ games this season, but it's probably not likely anymore.

Uwe Blab 10-30-12 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII (Post 1286336)
I wonder if we "Mariano Rivera" Manu. Keep him out to 5 mins a game and play the other guards Decolo and Neal and Mills, until the playoffs. I'd like to have Manu 100+ games this season, but it's probably not likely anymore.

Well, for one, Manu would never let that happen. He's a gamer. Second, they essentially did that last year, and it didn't matter. He doesn't have the ability to elevate his game above everyone else anymore.

SleepyAdamII 10-30-12 12:21 PM

Manu being a Gamer has nothing to do with his bad back. And maybe thats why the spurs don't mind having a glut of guards, because they anticipate Manu not playing more than 3/4s of the season.

This will also present an opprotunity for De Colo to show if he's legit or not. Remove Manu for a week and let's see if De Colo and Neal can play well as the off guard. I hope Mills is the unquestioned back up PG, since he's the 2nd best ball handler on the team. With Manu out, this early, let's see what depth this bench has.

katyspursfan 10-30-12 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1286340)
Well, for one, Manu would never let that happen. He's a gamer. Second, they essentially did that last year, and it didn't matter. He doesn't have the ability to elevate his game above everyone else anymore.

More like he doesn't have the ability to elevate his game, every game.
When he's great, he's as good as anyone. I just don't expect it for every game in a series. Shoot, two out of five would be great anymore.

clovisnmspurfan 10-30-12 03:33 PM

We don't have to worry about Harden any more, he is no longer with OKC.

spurduncan21 10-30-12 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katyspursfan (Post 1286345)
More like he doesn't have the ability to elevate his game, every game.
When he's great, he's as good as anyone. I just don't expect it for every game in a series. Shoot, two out of five would be great anymore.

That is for damn sure. Somehow everyone forgets that time and time again. I hope he takes his time, which I'm sure POP and CO. will bring him back when the time is right

Quote:

Originally Posted by clovisnmspurfan (Post 1286347)
We don't have to worry about Harden any more, he is no longer with OKC.

For this reason alone we'll be victorious if we meet that in the playoffs. He was the X-factor against us and missing him will certainly be the difference between winning losing against us in the postseason

spurscrazed 10-31-12 02:55 PM

I would much rather Manu gets those bugs out of the way earlier in the season though.

I am hoping it is just a minor thing and Manu will get well soon with the rest!

Remember it is a FULL season this time. No short season. Rest is good at the beg of the season.

They all still have ways to go!!!

Go Spurs Go!