News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 10-27-12, 09:51 PM
SpursReport Team Member

James Harden traded

James Harden, Cole Aldridge, and Lazr Hayward traded to Houston for Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and draft picks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-12, 09:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

And Daquan Cook
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-12, 09:56 PM
SpursReport Team Member

James Harden traded to Rockets

Thunder trade James Harden to Rockets

The Oklahoma City Thunder have agreed to trade star guard James Harden to the Houston Rockets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets sent Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources told Y! Sports.
Old 10-27-12, 09:58 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA
Talks on an extension broke down between the Thunder and Harden on an extension, and Presti moved quickly to trade him.

Along with All-Star guard James Harden, the Thunder will send Cole Aldridge, Lazr Hayward and Daquan Cook to the Rockets, source tells Y!
Old 10-27-12, 10:00 PM
SpursReport Team Member

3-4 seed at best for OKC.
Old 10-27-12, 10:03 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Wow, what a mistake.

A mistake for Harden in demanding too much money, and a mistake for OKC for not figuring out how to keep him.

It has to make you love Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, and Tony Parker, each of whom could have demanded much more money and received it from other teams.

We truly have the best organization in all of professional sports.
Old 10-27-12, 10:10 PM
The Master Baiter

Well, the OKC FO did the best thing they could, which was to get something for him before he just walked. And Kevin Martin is no slouch.
Old 10-27-12, 10:12 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Not a bad trade, Thunder did get something for Harden. But if your the Spurs you want to play Martin over Harden.
Old 10-27-12, 10:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Only 4 million kept Harden from re-signing with OKC....HaHa!
Old 10-27-12, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by td4mvp2k View Post
i think we've all learned from Latrell Sprewell that a few million is the difference between living normally and living outside in a box :drummer
Old 10-27-12, 10:46 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

omg... he wanted to make more than durant?

i think okc did a good thing on principle.. harden made his choice
Old 10-27-12, 10:46 PM

this will be interesting. Kevin Martin has always been a starter and Harden flourished as their Sixth Man. there's a huge problem in bringing someone like Sefolosha, who's primarily there for defense, off the bench because he's not a scorer.

interesting season it will be indeed!
Old 10-27-12, 10:47 PM
SpursReport Team Captain

okc tried. i think the fact that they went w/ the trade, showed that harden was not willing to negotiate, and okc did wanna balls around wasting time.
they didnt drag it out. good for harden gettin his money, but wow. does he reallly think he's gonna stay on a team and make more than durant?
Old 10-27-12, 11:10 PM
SpursReport Rookie

What are you guys talking about, Houston just got worked!

Martin, Lamb who I think will be a solid pro , 2 first rounders & and 2nd for James Harden, REALLY....
Old 10-27-12, 11:36 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Who wins in this deal, the Rockets or the Thunder?

Answer: the Spurs.

Harden's strength duplicates Lin's. Good luck with that.

Kevin Martin can't play defense and is a great stats/bad team guy from day one. And you don't run your offense through him. He runs HIS offense through himself. I kind of suspect Jeremy Lamb ends up being a more important player for them when it's all over.

Harden is right there with Manu in pick and roll efficiency. Martin can shoot and get to the free throw line, but is skinny and can't play much defense. Hey OKC, don't you already have Durant to do all that?

Good luck throwing Kevin Martin at Dwyane Wade.

But to OKC's defense, they still have to pay Serge Ibaka. The requests for max contracts will just keep coming.
Old 10-27-12, 11:42 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

What a idiot. Leave a strong contender for a bottom dweller for 4.5 million more bucks! Selfish of him and to turn his back on that great franchise and his teammates.
Old 10-28-12, 12:19 AM
SpursReport Team Member

This very much helps the Spurs for that top spot.
Old 10-28-12, 12:28 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff5000 View Post

Martin, Lamb who I think will be a solid pro , 2 first rounders & and 2nd for James Harden, REALLY....
I agree. OKC made out like bandits. Lamb has all kinds of upside. OKC is sitting pretty for the draft and they have no contract conflicts throughout the season. Presti played it perfect. Houston was desperate for a vet....Too desperate to consider the consequences.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 10-28-12 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 12:29 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff5000 View Post

What are you talking about???? This is a horrible trade for okc (great for us)....Martin can score but is unproven in the playoffs and doesn't bring that "X" factor that harden has....and lamb is completely unproven and might be decent but to say that houston got worked?????not even. Call me biased but I now have the spurs right behind the lakers as the best team in the west now! I absolutely love the trade!!!
Old 10-28-12, 01:02 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
What are you talking about???? This is a horrible trade for okc (great for us)....Martin can score but is unproven in the playoffs and doesn't bring that "X" factor that harden has....and lamb is completely unproven and might be decent but to say that houston got worked?????not even. Call me biased but I now have the spurs right behind the lakers as the best team in the west now! I absolutely love the trade!!!
I think Lamb and the draft picks are the prize. Martin is just a temporary fix.
Old 10-28-12, 01:21 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Well we don't know what lamb will actually bring to the table yet....harden was solid. I still think the thunder are less competitive now, which is a good thing for the spurs!
Old 10-28-12, 04:34 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Just heard the news. Houston got what they wanted in a star now. Yes I do believe he is a star an will certainly be one now in Houston. As much as I like the trade, I do think this makes OKC better for the future with draft picks. Houston will not be a playoff team in the west so those acquires picks are that much more valuable especially signing Lin to that massive contract once they find out he's truly overhyped. But to think that OkC is better now for the trade is misleading. They took a step back, nothin drastic but Knart is truly a scorer and not known for passing. oKC would be better brining in him off the bench since he demands the ball so much. I love my spurs whose stars work to stay with the team. As much people like to think that employee/employer loyalty doesn't exist anymore, our Big 3 shows that it still does. Our chances to overthrow OKc just became much better in the WCF as the lakers depth is still a major concern that should not be overlooked

- Confucius
Old 10-28-12, 04:51 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan9 View Post
omg... he wanted to make more than durant?

i think okc did a good thing on principle.. harden made his choice
I believe that too. But OKC took a step back considering KMArt2 is on the last year of contract and very unlikely will get the type of contract hell desire

- Confucius
Old 10-28-12, 04:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

As Marc Stein put it: "The Lakers and Spurs are unreservedly thrilled right now. They will surely presume that OKC, as presently constituted, is out of the title mix at least for this season. They'll be toasting the Thunder -- instead of doing what we suggested in Question No. 2 about riding out this drama until July if extension terms couldn't be struck -- for deciding to break up the reigning Western Conference champs now in hopes of a better long-term outlook."

---KMart2 is on an expiring contract too so I he doesn't remain with the team past this season then this deal really hinges on the draft picks and Lamb. Either way they're losing an integral piece of their identity. Westbrook will be shipped out in the upcoming years cuz now he'll want to shoot even more.

- Confucius
Old 10-28-12, 06:10 AM
SpursReport Rookie

Thunder heist

Wow is all I have to say for the thunder in their heist of the Houston Rockets.

Thunder receive a 2012 1st round ( 12 pick ) in shooting guard Jeff Lamb.
Proven shooting guard in Kelvin Martin. Plus
2 number 1 picks in which one is predicted to be a unprotected lottery pick.

Houston gets Harden

That is the deal Orlando should have gotten for Dwight Howard.
Old 10-28-12, 08:44 AM
Delusional Manu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJONESIII View Post
What a idiot. Leave a strong contender for a bottom dweller for 4.5 million more bucks! Selfish of him and to turn his back on that great franchise and his teammates.

I think when James Harden looks back on his career, he will regret this move. Especially if he never wins a ring with any future team. He will look back and wonder what might have been.

"He said, 'Go for every pump fake,' " Hibbert said.
Old 10-28-12, 09:44 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

James Harden to his agent - "What do you mean I've been traded to the Rockets????? You told me the Thunder would meet our demands!"

Kevin Martin to his agent - "Thank you, thank you, thank you"
Old 10-28-12, 09:49 AM
SpursReport Team Member

As much as I agree that OKC is hurt this year by losing Harden, I still think they got too much for him.
Old 10-28-12, 10:44 AM
SR Team Goof

I'm just now reading this for the first time, did OKC eventually sign/trade Harden or will he still be a restricted free agent next July?? If he's a free agent, Houston will still keep paying for this trade.
Old 10-28-12, 10:53 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by alh1020 View Post
I'm just now reading this for the first time, did OKC eventually sign/trade Harden or will he still be a restricted free agent next July?? If he's a free agent, Houston will still keep paying for this trade.
I'm sure this trade was contingent on him Gettin a max deal which reports out there are really saying will happen. He wanted MAX type money. If anyone on OkC should have gone, it should haw been Westbrook. And to think that last season Westbrook could have traded for Rondo and Harden and Ibaka could have been had for DHoward. Now that would have been one sick squad

- Confucius
Old 10-28-12, 11:32 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think OKC panicked. They traded a sure component in their team, for a somewhat decent player , an unproven draft pick, and future draft picks (which may or may not pan out, and even less likely to bring the same quality player as harden)

Harden was a great player off the bench that hurt the Lakers and the Spurs, because he was a legit 6th man of the year that neither the Spurs or the Lakers had much of an answer for. I think this move will hurt OKC more than they realize.
Old 10-28-12, 01:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

OKCs bench will be in need of a player like Harden.
Old 10-28-12, 01:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Adam, very much agree.
Old 10-28-12, 02:29 PM
The Eternal Optimist

Winners, S A S and O K C. My take, this may have just allowed the Spurs to do their "odd year" stuff and get number FIVE. In the long term okc just jobbed the Rockets, though.
Old 10-28-12, 02:54 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
I think OKC panicked.
I don't think they panicked at all. This situation has been anticipated for a couple of years. It has been discussed often in the sports press. OKC built a contender by bringing in young talent on cheap contracts. They developed and matured into the WC champions. However, it was inevitable that the cheap contracts would expire and the problem of paying for all that talent would come up. It has been realized for some time that they could not keep all their best players under the CBA rules.

What we have seen now is their solution. They have decided that Durant, Ibaka and possibly Westbrook are their franchise stars.

I looks to me as if they have decided to have a quality team for the next year or two but not necessarily a top contender while they parley their draft picks, young talent, and expiring contracts into the next phase of team building.
Old 10-28-12, 03:42 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
I looks to me as if they have decided to have a quality team for the next year or two but not necessarily a top contender while they parley their draft picks, young talent, and expiring contracts into the next phase of team building.
That is such a huge gamble ; and basically a gamble that any of these guys will turn into an all star player, is pretty high risk/high reward.

To me it's not a sure thing that Lamb will be as good as Harden, or that any of those picks become anything at all. On face value You sent an all star away for uncertainty. If I was a Thunder fan I'd be pretty upset (I'm not, and I'm glad). The Thunder had a very good , blooming young team, with 3 legit all stars that finally learned to become a team. Now , you've removed the right side of that triangle of talent, and hope you can spell Harden with run of the mill avg. players.

Add on top a report that OKC brass has been doing damage control with the players, stating "The players are totally behind this guys" , on a team that has had player issues before (Westbrook's prior drama).

Did Harden put them in a tough spot asking for money? Sure he did. But I don't think a sudden trade, on a young team, to a valued cog of their machine is going to bode well for the thunder.

and I'm stoked about it.
Old 10-28-12, 03:55 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

The rockettes have taken a huge gamble with this, by declaring that they're now building around Jeremy (I had 6 weeks of pretty good ball - until folks started scouting me)Lin, Omar(Who???)Asik, and James (I won 6th man of the year so I deserve a max deal) Harden, they've either mired themselves back into mediocrity for the next 3-4 years or ...well I don't see much of a true upside to this...

I am glad to see OKC weakened too...
Old 10-28-12, 04:35 PM
SR Team Goof

I agree Michael. I think the Rockets will look back on this date and regret the move. Even though they pretty much gutted their team and gathered future draft picks in the hopes of chasing Howard, they did have in place the tools to begin to rebuild for their future through the draft. Now they've traded all that away for a guy we now know desires the added pocket change in favor of playing for an organization who are presently at the top and who plan to stay there for a good while. Harden only does well if he has a good support team around him to allow him to work independently, man on man. He had that in OKC. In Houston, he has to be 'the man', the guy who carries the water, the leader. I don't see it happening and when the smoke clears, the Rockets will dread this day.
Old 10-28-12, 05:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
That is such a huge gamble ; and basically a gamble that any of these guys will turn into an all star player, is pretty high risk/high reward.

To me it's not a sure thing that Lamb will be as good as Harden, or that any of those picks become anything at all. On face value You sent an all star away for uncertainty.
All that is true but but what better alternatives did they have? Paying Hardin would have put them over the cap and end any flexibility they would have for years to come. OKC had already gotten themselves in a jam when they overpaid for Westbrook and Perkins. I think they just picked the best of several bad alternatives.
Old 10-28-12, 05:54 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

OKC may have had their hand forced and had to remove themself from the championship race this season so will miss out as I thought they were the dominant team of the West (Lakers need a year but that could also backfire with Age)but the Loser here is Harden he probably thought OKC would do the Dwight and not move him till after this year and he could have got a ring.

I am still undecided as to whether the Rockets lose as they needed a big name they had noone, not many better available players to build around.
Old 10-28-12, 07:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

People who think this was to OKC's advantage short term have amnesia. Harden killed the Spurs in the playoffs. His 4th quarter performance kept the good guys at bay. He was the guy that the Spurs just couldn't get a handle on. Durant is Durant. AND...Harden is NOT a 6th man! He's a starter who happens to come off the bench to punch the other team in the mouth ala Ginobili.

As much as I hate to acknowledge it, he's a bonefied All-Star.

AND...Houston did well in this trade. They got Harden, a pretty decent distance shooter in Cook along with a decent backup center. I expect Lin to be a serviceable PG with flaws but he should be better playing with Harden. And Asik is the type of center I hoped the Spurs would look at. Tough, gritty and a big body. They won't win a championship but they did well in this trade. Martin wasn't taking them anywhere. Harden is a player NOW while Lamb - though I like him - is just gettin started. If you want to start winnin now, you do this trade!
Old 10-28-12, 07:43 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

"Presti said the Thunder got more for Harden because they dealt him early enough that Houston could re-sign him before a Wednesday deadline to reach a contract extension."
Old 10-28-12, 08:12 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Cook did some damage to the Spurs also. Getting rid of Hardin may be good for their franchise in the long run but it helps the Spurs this year.
Old 10-28-12, 09:12 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Sam presti is taking the long view here. That means they will be a force to reckon with for years to come with assets acquired in this trade, but makes them slightly less in the correct this year.
Old 10-28-12, 09:37 PM
SpursReport Team Member

This deal works well for all sides. James Harden is 22 years old, an Olympian and an all round excellent basketball player. Houston has found it's #2 player while retaining plenty of salary cap space to go after a big name free agent like say....Andrew Bynum next summer to complete their own Big 3.

For Hardin, keep in mind that Hardin's next contract max value is dependent on the amount he makes on this one. I really can't fault a player for wanting to get paid max dollars on their first big contract.

As for OKC, as bills0 said, this situation has been anticipated for a long time. The CBA is designed to prevent teams for stockpiling players without paying a huge penalty. With unlimited resources, OKC would love to keep Hardin. Instead they acquire draft picks which they can turn into role players on cheap rookie contracts.
Old 10-29-12, 12:53 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
actually it was 6 million.
Old 10-29-12, 02:46 AM
SpursReport Team Member

ACTUALLY it was 4.5m!
Old 10-29-12, 09:57 AM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
ACTUALLY it was 4.5m!
ACTUALLY.........................

60 - 54 = 6
[COLOR=#000000]Harden Received Final Offer Of $54M From Thunder

Oct 27, 2012 11:17 PM EDT
The final offer by the Oklahoma City Thunder to James Harden was a four-year, $54 million contract.
Harden could sign a max offer of $60 million over four seasons.
The Thunder agreed to trade Harden to the Rockets on Saturday.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports (via Twitter)

Read more: Harden Received Final Offer Of $54M From Thunder - RealGM Wiretap[/COLOR]
Old 10-29-12, 10:39 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Why would anyone need more than $13 mil per year?
Old 10-29-12, 12:33 PM
SpursReport Team Member

ACTUALLY... It is 4.5m and could of been less said Presti!