SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   50 win season again?? (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117706-50-win-season-again.html)

alh1020 10-27-12 08:25 PM

50 win season again??

OK. The new season is upon us and the Spurs have essentially the same team core they finished with last year with a couple tweaks and an open roster spot. The question I have is, do you think the Spurs have enough firepower to keep their 50-win season streak alive? Also, what kind of record do you see our Spurs having at season’s end and how far into the playoffs do you see them going, if they do make it to the playoffs?

I feel they have enough to keep their 50-win season streak alive, finishing with a 53-29 record. However, I do think the full season will take a toll on our older players’ legs and stamina, keeping them from advancing past the 2nd round.

spurduncan21 10-27-12 09:03 PM

Definitely

td4mvp2k 10-27-12 09:56 PM

With Splitter, Diaw, Bonner and Blair theyre good.

grizzly_bexar 10-28-12 12:19 AM

No doubt.

Jose_TheGenius 10-29-12 01:23 PM

i think so too. if we're planning to run a motion offense again, we just may be getting away with small ball (we have a boatload of guards) which will give our bigs rest every now and then.

i do think last season wore more on our guys than this season will. the schedule was too congested and add practices too.

Duncanforthree 10-29-12 01:25 PM

I see 55-58..so yeah

gpspursgo15 10-29-12 01:35 PM

Problem isn't the season. It iss the post season. We run a rotation that plays 11 or 12 guys at times. In the post season, that's what killed us. OKC was able to keep their youth and best players on the floor for sometimes 44+ mins a game while our best players played somewhere between 28-33. Our second unit had to play with their top tier guys and frankly couldn't hang. Our post season "freshness" and minutes will determine our fate. Can our best players play in a shortened rotation with increased minutes against the other teams best players? That is the big question. Come play off time, I'd like to see our rotation something like Parker, Manu, Kawi, Capt Jack, Timmy (gotta love that line up to end the game) with Diaw, Green and either Splitter or Bonner. That's it. 8 max.

spurduncan21 10-29-12 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpspursgo15 (Post 1286287)
Problem isn't the season. It iss the post season. We run a rotation that plays 11 or 12 guys at times. In the post season, that's what killed us. OKC was able to keep their youth and best players on the floor for sometimes 44+ mins a game while our best players played somewhere between 28-33. Our second unit had to play with their top tier guys and frankly couldn't hang. Our post season "freshness" and minutes will determine our fate. Can our best players play in a shortened rotation with increased minutes against the other teams best players? That is the big question. Come play off time, I'd like to see our rotation something like Parker, Manu, Kawi, Capt Jack, Timmy (gotta love that line up to end the game) with Diaw, Green and either Splitter or Bonner. That's it. 8 max.

Pop screwed up in the WCF by trying to play one-on-one basketball with a younger, more athletic squad. As a unit, our spurs moved away from what got them on that 20 game winning streak which was TEAM BALL and our players being comfortable with the rotations. For some reason up 2-0, we immediately moved our chess pieces and it consequently spelled doom for our drive for five. More than anything, I hope a full training camp with those that joined us mid season last year along with De COlo has made us a much stronger squad. I do expect a trade sometime during the season for a big by either using Blair, Bonner, Neal, Green, Mills and I hate to say it, S-Jax.

exit7 10-31-12 11:42 AM

Pop didn't screw up, he took a team that no one thought could contend and put them on the course for an all time run that fell just a bit short.

I know thats not what anyone on this board wanted, but most teams would be giddy about that. The fact is after beating the Thunder two games, Scott Brooks realized they could play the same style of ball the spurs were playing and maybe could improve it because their best players were better than ours.

In the first two games, the thunder were playing one on one selfish ball, it wasnt until they started passing that they crushed us (then choked it up in the finals...smh)

I still think the spurs have a shot if the matchups turn out in their favor. We need to avoid OKC, I think we matchup well with LA (i especially look forward to some hack-a-dwight). If we get the #1 seed, which is perfectly conceivable, and the lakers take out OKC in the second round, who knows. The NBA playoffs is always about matchups. The Phoenix Suns would have had two or three titles if they never ran up against the Spurs. Maybe it won't happen, but its worth watching.