News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 10-23-12, 10:55 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Spurs sign JaMychal Green ?

BamaHammer.com

Former Crimson Tide forward JaMychal Green has signed a contract to play for the San Antonio Spurs.

Green announced on Monday via his Twitter account that he is officially apart of the Spurs’ organization.

JaMychal Green

@Jmyke1

Signed my contract today my grandma cried and told me she proud of me thats the best feeling in the world !! I do this for my family !!!!

Last edited by Spurd_On; 10-23-12 at 10:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-23-12, 11:15 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He wasnt bad in SL, like to see what he can do now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-23-12, 11:18 PM
SpursReport Rookie

So is he the 15th guy

Or will he just play friday and be cut
Old 10-23-12, 11:23 PM
SpursReport Team Member

He had to be signed so when we cut him he can be one of the 3 players that go to the Torros but not signed as part of the Spurs.
Old 10-24-12, 08:54 AM
SR Team Goof

Report: Spurs sign Alabama's JaMychal Green

Just as the San Antonio Spurs released two players earlier this afternoon, it appears they are adding one player to the roster.

According to BamaHammer.com, the Spurs have signed undrafted forward JaMychal Green from Alabama.

If the name seems familiar, it's because Green played for the Spurs summer league squad in Las Vegas this summer, averaging 4.3 points and 2.5 rebounds in 10.8 minutes per game.

Green was expected to be picked up in the second round of the draft but surprisingly went undrafted.

Green is a 6-9 forward and played at power forward throughout his college career. While a little undersized, Green's wingspan, measuring just over 7-2 certainly makes up for any height deficiencies.

Last season with Alabama, Green averaged 14 points, 7.4 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game. Green performed well against some of the better big men across the nation, even putting up 22 points and 12 rebounds while limiting Anthony Davis on the defensive end.

At the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament, Green put his athleticism on display, consistently finishing at the rim and opening some eyes with a 29-point game. He finished as the second leading scorer in the tournament, but likely worried some GMs due to him being one of three Alabama players suspended due to violation of team rules.

Aside from his athleticism, Green is very aggressive in the paint looking to overpower defenders with his speed and strength. I'm not sure where he fits in with the Spurs if the report is indeed true, but Green has the type of upside that is hard to ignore.

He did post a message to Twitter saying he signed his contract, but didn't give details signaling it is with the Spurs and the Spurs have yet to release word on the signing. If he is signed, Spurs fans may get a chance to see him when the Spurs play the Wizards on Friday.

Report: Spurs sign Alabama's JaMychal Green
Old 10-24-12, 09:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

HMMMM.

I like it.
Old 10-24-12, 02:51 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Don't know what to think at all yet, never seen this guy play in college.

Youtube time lol.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 10-24-12, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiaSPUR View Post
Or will he just play friday and be cut
and Bingo was his name-o

+1
Old 10-24-12, 05:53 PM
Official SR Home Builder

Old 10-24-12, 06:53 PM
SR Team Goof

Thanks, Eddy for the clip. Based on these highlights, its surprising that he went undrafted. He has a nice jump shot from 15 feet or more, good foot work and can pass well. He's bio says he can play defense well but will it be enough. Let's see what Pop and RC do. Toros, if they keep him?
Old 10-24-12, 07:20 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Seems to be part of the Spurs, future plans - guys who are close to being ready, but there's no spot for them right now, so rather than park them in Europe, let's park them in Austin - You know, I think I'll go see a Toro's game this year...

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursna...-league-bound/

"Rookie small forward Wesley Witherspoon remains on the Spurs’ training camp roster, despite the fact that he did not travel with the team on its most recent road trip.

Another rookie forward, Alabama’s JaMychal Green, has signed with the Spurs but is not practicing with the team.

So what’s going on with these two?

An explanation, perhaps: There is a Developmental League allocation rule, instituted in 2010, that allows up to three of an NBA team’s final training camp cuts to be allocated to its D-League affiliate.

Meaning, if the Spurs keep Witherspoon and Green on their camp roster until Saturday, those two players can eschew the crapshoot of the D-League draft and proceed directly to the Austin Toros. Provided they agree to a standard D-League contract, of course.

Neither Witherspoon nor Green would count against the Spurs’ 15-man NBA roster in that instance.

There is a bit of gamesmanship at play.

Waive a player too early, and you risk leaving him open for another NBA team to sign and allocate.

For example, rookie forward Justin Holiday, recently waived by the Cleveland Cavaliers in hopes of later assigning him to Canton.

That plan was submarined when the Portland Trail Blazers signed Holiday to their camp roster instead."
Old 10-25-12, 04:59 PM
SpursReport Team Member

good god, the spurs front office are damn good @ there jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Seems to be part of the Spurs, future plans - guys who are close to being ready, but there's no spot for them right now, so rather than park them in Europe, let's park them in Austin - You know, I think I'll go see a Toro's game this year...

Spurs Nation

"Rookie small forward Wesley Witherspoon remains on the Spurs’ training camp roster, despite the fact that he did not travel with the team on its most recent road trip.

Another rookie forward, Alabama’s JaMychal Green, has signed with the Spurs but is not practicing with the team.

So what’s going on with these two?

An explanation, perhaps: There is a Developmental League allocation rule, instituted in 2010, that allows up to three of an NBA team’s final training camp cuts to be allocated to its D-League affiliate.

Meaning, if the Spurs keep Witherspoon and Green on their camp roster until Saturday, those two players can eschew the crapshoot of the D-League draft and proceed directly to the Austin Toros. Provided they agree to a standard D-League contract, of course.

Neither Witherspoon nor Green would count against the Spurs’ 15-man NBA roster in that instance.

Waive a player too early, and you risk leaving him open for another NBA team to sign and allocate.

For example, rookie forward Justin Holiday, recently waived by the Cleveland Cavaliers in hopes of later assigning him to Canton.

That plan was submarined when the Portland Trail Blazers signed Holiday to their camp roster instead."
Old 10-25-12, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post

great post. so before anyone gets excited at what this kid can do, he's basically insurance in case someone goes down. Witherspoon and Green going to Austin and i can't help but think we keep Powell.
Old 10-25-12, 07:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I like that he stays around the rim, and can pass the ball. If he can be a consistent engery guy, run the floor, and get a few blocks, he will be great off the bench.
Old 10-25-12, 08:41 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I have no idea or opinion as to if JaMychal remains with the Spurs organization after Friday's pre-season game or if he makes the Toros or the end of the Spurs' bench or whatever.

I realize that in the video, he is playing against lesser opponents than what he would face in the NBA but my impression from the video was that he executes the moves I was hoping that Blair would develop some day.
Old 10-26-12, 11:22 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I like this kid's skill set. He is exactly the player we are missing on this roster-- length, shotblocking, mid-range jumper, some post game, explosion down low.

Problem is youtube can make anybody look like an all-star.