SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Spurs waive Brown AND Curry, Powell/Witherspoon still in camp (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117686-spurs-waive-brown-curry-powell-witherspoon-still-camp.html)

Jose_TheGenius 10-23-12 02:22 PM

Spurs waive Brown AND Curry, Powell/Witherspoon still in camp

@drew_48moh

#Spurs just announced they waived Eddy Curry and Derrick Brown. Ah well, can't say I'm surprised.

‏<s>@</s>mdeleon Looks like Spurs have waived Brown and Curry. <s>#</s>fb <s>#</s>spurs

--------------------------------------------------

i'm not the guy who likes to boast and all, but Powell is still in camp. i've been pulling for him to make it because he's the best all around choice from the bigs who got waived. Curry doesn't play defense and Brown was hailed as a guy who can shut guys down in practice but never be good enough to be in an actual game and for all we know, he probably can't guard Durant since Gerald Wallace isn't even close having Durant's ability. Powell would bring more than what Blair or Bonner bring to the table.

also to note: if Powell does have an actual role on this roster as the 4th big if he stays, Pop can bring Diaw off the bench and start Splitter next to Duncan which will help our starting defense tremendously.

MichaelWi101 10-23-12 02:24 PM

Woof

Spurd_On 10-23-12 02:36 PM

No mention of Witherspoon?

Jose_TheGenius 10-23-12 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1286060)
No mention of Witherspoon?

whoops forgot to put him on there. thanks for reminding, but no word on him yet. 2 guys left for 1 spot.

it would be hard to believe that Pop picks a G/F over a big unless he's planning on bringing Stephen Jackson off the bench as a PF

SleepyAdamII 10-23-12 02:54 PM

Blair just got some more job security. let's see who the Spurs pick up off the waiver wires mid season.

doom32x4 10-23-12 03:08 PM

Remember last week when Pop himself mentioned that the battle was between Curry and Brown? CIA Pop strikes again! :laugh

spurduncan21 10-23-12 03:56 PM

Shocked that's CIA pop strikes again

HeloteSpurs 10-23-12 04:39 PM

The question marks of the Spurs front office continue, many teams were reportedly interested in Eddy Curry if he was cut, even if the Spurs never used him that fact that teams are interested means we could have used him as trade bait, why do the Spurs never want size? We've needed a answer at the Center position since David Robinson retired in 2003, it does not take 9 years to figure out what a blind man can see.

^ Frustrated!

Spurd_On 10-23-12 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom32x4 (Post 1286063)
Remember last week when Pop himself mentioned that the battle was between Curry and Brown? CIA Pop strikes again! :laugh

I think I recall the phrase as being that he was still "looking" at Brown and Curry. Maybe they happened to be walking behind the reporters when he was asked that question:)

b1gdon 10-23-12 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeloteSpurs (Post 1286068)
The question marks of the Spurs front office continue, many teams were reportedly interested in Eddy Curry if he was cut, even if the Spurs never used him that fact that teams are interested means we could have used him as trade bait, why do the Spurs never want size? We've needed a answer at the Center position since David Robinson retired in 2003, it does not take 9 years to figure out what a blind man can see.

^ Frustrated!

Curry has absolutely zero trade value. Why would any team give up any assets for a guy they could have signed for a one year vet min contract a month ago. This roster spot is going to go to a guy who won't even suit up for the team unless someone higher on the depth chart gets hurt, then this player will sit on the bench until garbage time. With that in mind I think we should grab Witherspoon. Powell is already over the hill for an NBA player. He's played for 6 different teams/coaches and has never cracked 6pts per game. We know what he is capable of and vast majority of NBA players see little to no improvement past their 29th birthday. Witherspoon on the other hand has all the physical gifts to be an NBA player. The knock on him from what I've read is on the mental/maturity side.

The Spurs are a ridiculously deep team. If they need a contribution this year from the 15th guy on the roster, then they are in a lot more trouble than worrying about who fills that spot. With that in mind, I think the best course of action will be to go with the guy who may be able to contribute down the road after proving that he has matured in the D-League.

PS Judging from the pattern of last year, this guy may not even be on the roster for very long. The Spurs were constantly bringing players in on 10 day contracts last year. Wesley Witherspoon is probably going to be the first of many such players to come.

td4mvp2k 10-23-12 05:24 PM

B1gdon, I agree with you on witherspoon and I was so sure that Brown was going to be the guy but they might of seen more upside with the rook who I also liked and then with only room to sign just one guy... You need to get the best for the team or none at all.

MichaelWi101 10-23-12 06:31 PM

So does this mean that Pop doesn't check with us before he makes personnel decisions???????? :yikes

Spurd_On 10-23-12 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII (Post 1286062)
Blair just got some more job security. let's see who the Spurs pick up off the waiver wires mid season.

Maybe. Those are rare opportunities though. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Spurs aren't down to 13 by then with a couple of draft picks in their pocket.

jrtristan2003 10-23-12 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doom32x4 (Post 1286063)

Wow...very funny Pop...messing with us fans like that

SleepyAdamII 10-23-12 07:36 PM

Quote:

Maybe. Those are rare opportunities though. I wouldn't be too surprised if the Spurs aren't down to 13 by then with a couple of draft picks in their pocket.
I can see that happening. To be fair, Brown, Curry, or Powell aren't really better than what we have to begin with. I figured curry would allow us to start Splitter and move Curry to the back up 5. However I think Pop really wants to keep a small ball line up and will not sacrifice mobility for token size.

I read an article recently about the trend of small ball really being taken seriously around the league, even leading to Miami's current title. And maybe Pop sees that as the trend to counteract traditionally bigger line ups. I'm not as optimistic, when looking down the barrel of Gasol/Howard.

packer 10-23-12 11:57 PM

No chance

I was sure hoping the spurs would have kept Eddie Curry. In my opinion he was a low risk player with good offensive skills that would be valuable to the team. With no curry the spurs are basically a small team with no chance at winning a title this year.

ibanezsr 10-24-12 12:03 AM

Haha so a guy that has played like 24 games in the past few years is the difference in Spurs winning it all or not? Did I read your post correctly or am I trippin on shrooms or something?

MichaelWi101 10-25-12 08:18 PM

And now Curry's a Maverick - but hey we've still got Blair and Bonner, the stingerless killer b's....

td4mvp2k 10-25-12 09:18 PM

Looks more like the Mavs are just using Curry for info on the Spurs.

MichaelWi101 10-25-12 11:26 PM

Nah, the mavs don't need Curry for info on the Spurs, he wasn't around long enough to be of help, they need a big body and like I said elsewhere you can't teach 7 foot and in the West you need big bodies. And besides every body and his brother knows how the Spurs play..

td4mvp2k 10-26-12 12:01 PM

Curry was with the Spurs for most of training camp and the Spurs did add on more from what they did just because they had to but who knows if they teach that to who isnt going to be around... I would think not. Curry is in the same position with the Mavs like he was with the Spurs.

Jose_TheGenius 10-26-12 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1286131)
Nah, the mavs don't need Curry for info on the Spurs, he wasn't around long enough to be of help, they need a big body and like I said elsewhere you can't teach 7 foot and in the West you need big bodies. And besides every body and his brother knows how the Spurs play..

they say this about EVERYONE who moves to one team then to a rival. remember when Finley signed here and everyone thought "we'll learn some Mavs secrets!" or Sean Marks going to the Hornets and telling CP3 some "Spurs secrets" and let's not forget Horry signing here and "telling us Laker secrets".

head coaches have assistant coaches to look at every play from every team and check tendencies, taking up a roster spot to "spy" on a team is useless and rarely done. i agree with you wholeheartedly though, even if this ridiculous premise was true, Curry wasn't there long enough nor did he succeed in the schemes defensively to even be a factor.

Uwe Blab 10-26-12 03:30 PM

Dallas has some injuries to their bigs and needed to fill gaps. I doubt Curry would have anymore information than a team scout would have. Except maybe Tim's underwear brand.

Either way, these guys were bound for seats 12 thru 15 on the roster.

Jose_TheGenius 10-26-12 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1286146)
Dallas has some injuries to their bigs and needed to fill gaps. I doubt Curry would have anymore information than a team scout would have. Except maybe Tim's underwear brand.

Either way, these guys were bound for seats 12 thru 15 on the roster.

also, Delonte West's spot is now open since he's not returning to the team.

WILLTHETHRILL 10-26-12 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1286130)
Looks more like the Mavs are just using Curry for info on the Spurs.

they have big man injuries........

td4mvp2k 10-26-12 06:53 PM

Thats all Curry is... An injury backup and a player they can use.

chad1 10-26-12 07:14 PM

I know Pop and co. are geniuses and all but....7 footers with an offensive game are pretty rare so why not keep him around at the vet min??????? What was the possible downside?!

Jose_TheGenius 10-26-12 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chad1 (Post 1286163)
I know Pop and co. are geniuses and all but....7 footers with an offensive game are pretty rare so why not keep him around at the vet min??????? What was the possible downside?!

counting on Duncan to play some offense and then be the main paint guy. offense isn't our problem though, if he got cut you have to believe his defense was horrid.

grizzly_bexar 10-26-12 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1286073)
So does this mean that Pop doesn't check with us before he makes personnel decisions???????? :yikes

He hasn't checked with me on a personnel decision other than the '99, '01, '08, and '11 drafts.

I figured he could handle the '97 draft on his own.

grizzly_bexar 10-26-12 10:33 PM

Eddy Curry will complement Dirk like a wide angle lense flatters Ralphie May.

WILLTHETHRILL 10-28-12 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1286162)
Thats all Curry is... An injury backup and a player they can use.

That's all? Thought they got him because he was with the Spurs for a few weeks according to an expert here?........lol