SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Kevin Love broke hand doing knuckle push ups. Ugh. (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117549-kevin-love-broke-hand-doing-knuckle-push-ups-ugh.html)

alh1020 10-18-12 02:04 PM

Kevin Love broke hand doing knuckle push ups. Ugh.

It was like some kind of Rocky movie training montage gone bad. And without the John Cafferty “Heart on Fire” soundtrack.

Kevin Love broke his hand doing knuckle pushups, according to the Timberwolves (as reported by Jon Krawczynski of the Associated Press, among others). He was working out with a trainer at his condominium complex before coming to the team’s practice facility that day.

Knuckle pushups. That’s what may have cost the Timberwolves their shot at the playoffs.

The good news is the timeframe for Love’s return to the court may be a little sooner than first anticipated, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and NBC Sports Network.

<abbr title="Verified Account">✔</abbr>Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA
After meeting with doctor in N.Y., there appears real chance Kevin Love could return within 5 to 6 weeks from broken hand, source tells Y!

Related link: Video: LeBron James practicing his skyhook | ProBasketballTalk

Uwe Blab 10-18-12 03:08 PM

What good do knuckle push ups do? I always thought it was some way to mete out punishment in the army. Why are trainers putting it into workouts? Seems like some stupid fad, like Crossfit.

Spurd_On 10-18-12 04:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I found this at Livestrong.com :

Knuckle, or fist, push-ups are identical to the traditional push-up but with one slight variation: your upper body is supported on your knuckles rather than on your palms. Knuckle push-ups are commonly performed by martial artists who want to strengthen their knuckles and wrists, thereby improving punching efficiency. There are additional benefits to doing knuckle push-ups.
Improved Stability

Knuckle push-ups will help improve muscular stability in your arms, shoulders and core. Traditional push-ups are performed with an open palm, which is significantly larger than your fist. The decreased surface area of your knuckles requires the muscles in your upper body to work harder in order to maintain your balance.

Read more: What Are The Benefits Of Knuckle Pushups? | LIVESTRONG.COM

td4mvp2k 10-18-12 05:02 PM

Was this a team trainer? If so you know he's out of there.

Jose_TheGenius 10-18-12 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1285811)
Was this a team trainer? If so you know he's out of there.

i seriously doubt it, but i agree he'll be gone ASAP if it was.

knuckle push ups aren't too bad imo, i think when you're a tall guy who weights a bit, it may not be a good idea to put your body weight on them.

Mombear 10-18-12 05:55 PM

Dumbass... facepalm

JuanCaca 10-19-12 09:16 AM

mister glass 2.0? i spent about 20 yeaars doing that dialy even with little jump at the end of pushup and never had a single injury.. im not 6'10 with that weight tough...

e_93gsx 10-19-12 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1285806)
Seems like some stupid fad, like Crossfit.

LOL. What? Not Crossfit!! I know people that have dedicated their life to Crossfit. That is all they eat, sleep and talk about. Drives me crazy. In all fairness they are some in shape Mofos but I still can't stand them.