SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Curry and Powell (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117396-curry-powell.html)

MichaelWi101 10-11-12 12:19 PM

Curry and Powell
 
Keep these two - amnesty Bonner, trade Blair for a draft pick

Rzarector7 10-11-12 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1285472)
Keep these two - amnesty Bonner, trade Blair for a draft pick

One can only wish this would happen! I hope these two work out.

WILLTHETHRILL 10-11-12 01:05 PM

Get rid of Bonner anyway

td4mvp2k 10-11-12 01:06 PM

Don't rule out Brown and to amnesty Bonner would be a Zeke like move (Knicks).

spurduncan21 10-11-12 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1285475)
Don't rule out Brown and to amnesty Bonner would be a Zeke like move (Knicks).

No way brown makes it over those two sorry

td4mvp2k 10-11-12 02:47 PM

More talented and his start and min's say different.

alh1020 10-11-12 04:00 PM

Anybody know when the next cut will take place? They have to have the roster trimmed to 15 by the regular season opener but I believe there are timelines between now and then when they have to cut, if I'm not mistaken. Any two of the three (Curry, Powell or Brown) works for me but I'd rather see Bonner traded if at all possible rather than amnesty and get xomething in return, even if its a 2nd round draft choice.

MichaelWi101 10-11-12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1285478)
... but I'd rather see Bonner traded if at all possible rather than amnesty and get xomething in return, even if its a 2nd round draft choice.

After a bit of pondering I have to agree, I think part of my original idea was based on how sick I am of watching his game disappear in pressure situations. He's not new to the team or to the playoffs so he's got no excuse....

Spurd_On 10-11-12 05:06 PM

It's refreshing to see the topic of conversation turn from 4 1/2 months of who to acquire to one of who to cut and how. It's a far better problem.

Jose_TheGenius 10-11-12 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1285478)
Anybody know when the next cut will take place? They have to have the roster trimmed to 15 by the regular season opener but I believe there are timelines between now and then when they have to cut, if I'm not mistaken. Any two of the three (Curry, Powell or Brown) works for me but I'd rather see Bonner traded if at all possible rather than amnesty and get xomething in return, even if its a 2nd round draft choice.

if we were to cut someone to sign someone in their place, it'd be a trade in a way. we need to get real though, no one wants Bonner and the only reason we overpaid him to be here is because we couldn't afford to lose him back then.

Spurd_On 10-11-12 07:04 PM

Wilkerson was cut today.

b1gdon 10-12-12 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 (Post 1285472)
Keep these two - amnesty Bonner, trade Blair for a draft pick

The amnesty deadline for this off season was mid July, so that is off the table. DeJuan Blair would make for an excellent throw in for a mid season trade with Jackson's contract if the Spurs go in that direction. He is young, only 23 or 1 year younger than David Robinson as a rookie. Also he is only scheduled to make about $1M this season. I think it is far better to keep that trade asset available for the big deal at the deadline than to move him to create space for a marginal improvement at the end of the roster (and I'm giving the Blair haters the benefit of the doubt here, I think Powell or Curry would actually be a significant downgrade from Blair).

td4mvp2k 10-12-12 12:38 AM

I was also thinking they just may wait until the mid-season to make a move and see who's out there.

KVas 10-12-12 09:55 AM

I'm sorry but Curry is garbage..should be Brown or Powell

Wesley33177 10-12-12 10:39 AM

I'm for keeping Curry. Duncan's bound to sit out games, and Splitter's bound to miss games due to injury,we could use a 7-footer.

alh1020 10-12-12 02:20 PM

I heard a term used on a medical show the other night where a patient has a burst of energy and life before they succumb to their body's ailment. It's called surging. I just hope that Curry isn't providing us a demonstration of surging before succumbing.

Also, here's a little news item tidbit I found on SpursNation:

So when news of Eddy Curry’s encouraging performance in Wednesday’s Spurs-Hawks game began showing up in tweets by eyewitnesses of the Spurs’ 101-99 victory at the AT&T Center, perspective came from somewhere in New York by a poster named “Netw3rk,” whose acerbic observations are enjoyed by many league observers.

“I love pre-season optimism about Eddy Curry,” Netw3rk posted. “It’s like the beginning of a horror movie when everyone is saying, ‘What a great cabin.’”


Related link: Spurs Nation

td4mvp2k 10-12-12 03:53 PM

If you want to see a horror movie... Just look at the Knicks franchise.

Jose_TheGenius 10-12-12 05:42 PM

i agree with that tweet. Curry's always been showing something good in the beginning of seasons to just do nothing later on (look with Miami). Powell has been an NBA vet for a few years and, with minimal coaching from what he's said, he's been pretty decent. it seems the Spurs are high on him because they're teaching him Duncan's bank shot (per Jeff Garcia on Project Spurs) and that's a lot of coaching to just cut him.

i personally think we keep Powell.

Rzarector7 10-12-12 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1285505)
If you want to see a horror movie... Just look at the Knicks franchise.

:laugh:laugh

Spurd_On 10-12-12 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1285508)
i agree with that tweet. Curry's always been showing something good in the beginning of seasons to just do nothing later on (look with Miami). Powell has been an NBA vet for a few years and, with minimal coaching from what he's said, he's been pretty decent. it seems the Spurs are high on him because they're teaching him Duncan's bank shot (per Jeff Garcia on Project Spurs) and that's a lot of coaching to just cut him.

i personally think we keep Powell.

Those are fair arguments for Powell. Curry may end up being valuable and break the cycle of being a slacker but if history is any indication, it's tough to break a 10-year habit of coming out of the gate strong and fading as the season rolls along.

spurduncan21 10-13-12 09:01 AM

I know most are not but I'm rooting for Curry the underdog. Guy got a lot of bad reputation and I'm rooting the best for him. The fact is he has talent and early on in his career he showed it, but as the money rolled in along with injuries he blew up physically and thus faded. But the fact tht he's lost a significant amount of weight and is earning praises from SJax and TD has to earn for something. Yes Powell has played well but he has his first non show outing in last night preseason game against den. Derrick Brown plays d real well but offers no outside shot. At least with Curry, you know what you'd b getting. He's 7 foot tall and is too big to not be a beast down low. If signed, he'd be treated exactly like splitter being paired with a shooting big like Duncan or Diaw. I'd love to somehow keep Powell as well but fact of the matter is we'd be lucky to sign just one of the three big guys on the bubble. I'd love to ship Bonner and Blair out of town but it would only happen mid season not during training camp

spurduncan21 10-13-12 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (Post 1285516)
I know most are not but I'm rooting for Curry the underdog. Guy got a lot of bad reputation and I'm rooting the best for him. The fact is he has talent and early on in his career he showed it, but as the money rolled in along with injuries he blew up physically and thus faded. But the fact tht he's lost a significant amount of weight and is earning praises from SJax and TD has to earn for something. Yes Powell has played well but he has his first non show outing in last night preseason game against den. Derrick Brown plays d real well but offers no outside shot. At least with Curry, you know what you'd b getting. He's 7 foot tall and is too big to not be a beast down low. If signed, he'd be treated exactly like splitter being paired with a shooting big like Duncan or Diaw. I'd love to somehow keep Powell as well but fact of the matter is we'd be lucky to sign just one of the three big guys on the bubble. I'd love to ship Bonner and Blair out of town but it would only happen mid season not during training camp

And for those that think Curry would start out strong and fade away as the season goes, he's not playing for the hopeless NYK under Isaiah Thomas. Instead he knows what tho of franchise the Spurs are and would lead by our team leaders (TD, TP and Manu) example

Spurd_On 10-13-12 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spurduncan21 (Post 1285517)
And for those that think Curry would start out strong and fade away as the season goes, he's not playing for the hopeless NYK under Isaiah Thomas. Instead he knows what tho of franchise the Spurs are and would lead by our team leaders (TD, TP and Manu) example

I'm not against Curry. I think it is just being pointed out that his past could weigh on the final decision. I have no idea how things turn out by Oct 31, but if Curry is to make the team, he will have to overcome any doubts lingering from his past. You make a good point that having played for D'Antoni in NY is not always a good benchmark but there were other teams as well. Maybe none of them were good benchmarks.

SleepyAdamII 10-13-12 10:32 AM

I got to see Curry last night for the 2nd half of the game. He's not heavy, but he's still not in shape. He's a step slow for blocks and rebounds, but he did have a few quick moves to the basket for good dunks. I think, optimistically Curry can play himself into shape, be a wide body to absorb shocks with Perkins and Howard, all things going well he could be a nice 8 or 9th man off the bench. If he doesn't play himself into shape, he's a garbage man.

I liked Powell, he's a rugged rebounder defensive type guy who has decent size. Talent wise, I still think Curry has the edge, but if we want a 6'9 rugged rebounder to absorb fouls off the bench, Powell will do what we need.

Spurd_On 10-13-12 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII (Post 1285519)
Talent wise, I still think Curry has the edge,

In what respect?

SleepyAdamII 10-13-12 11:56 AM

I think Curry has a more polished offensive game, one or two moves to get to the basket. Thats about all.

Jose_TheGenius 10-13-12 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurd_On (Post 1285518)
I'm not against Curry. I think it is just being pointed out that his past could weigh on the final decision. I have no idea how things turn out by Oct 31, but if Curry is to make the team, he will have to overcome any doubts lingering from his past. You make a good point that having played for D'Antoni in NY is not always a good benchmark but there were other teams as well. Maybe none of them were good benchmarks.

huh? he was with the NBA Champion Miami Heat last year and couldn't get any court time with 3 superstars in their prime, they even had to go small because no bigs would step up. guy looked out of shape yesterday and, like when he tried to help out on perimeter defense, looked clumsy. Curry has potential, but he has a way to go on tapping it. right now, Splitter and Blair would outplay him. Powell, because of his athleticism and willingness to learn and already a decent player over Curry, has more potential to help this team right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII (Post 1285521)
I think Curry has a more polished offensive game, one or two moves to get to the basket. Thats about all.

i agree with that totally. problem is if he can't defend better than the other guys he's worthless on this team. last year's problem was defense.

we might cut both guys, might keep both guys somehow, or just one depending on what the coaching staff sees from each. can't take too much out of this game besides effort and some brains on the court since it was their first actual game playing together.

SleepyAdamII 10-13-12 05:58 PM

Ultimately I think in order to keep Curry or Powell (not both), we will have to find a home for Blair somewhere else. 3 PFs (blair, bonner, and diaw) is about 1 too many, and I think Blair might be the most expendable asset to get a 2nd rounder. We know Pop will keep Bonner around, and we just gave Diaw a new contract.

I see Powell as a classic banger, who has a somewhat 10ft jumper (that I recall from the Lakers). I don't think either moves past Splitter or Bonner in the rotation ( I don't see it happening) but when we do run into LAL and OKC , and LAC even we need a 6-9 to 6-11 wide body to absorb fouls and try and slow down their big men....

td4mvp2k 10-13-12 06:41 PM

Eddy Curry = Mr. Ed

alh1020 10-13-12 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1285527)
Eddy Curry = Mr. Ed

Sad but true.

SilverSpur 10-14-12 05:59 AM

What about the Brown kid? Anyone liking him?

td4mvp2k 10-14-12 06:31 AM

Ya, I think he makes it cause he would be a waste if he don't.

MichaelWi101 10-14-12 07:21 AM

Curry has faded in the past, but let's be real here, every season he's been on the team Bonner has disappeared when there was pressure, every season he's been here Blair has ended up sitting on the bench for a variety of reasons, and the two of them haven't been of any great value against the tall front lines that exist in the Western Conference.

The Spurs now have more wing players who can create shots from the outside, neither of the B's is known for defense and rebounding so IMHO replacing the B Brothers with Curry and Powell couldn't possibly make the Spurs any less of a power.

SilverSpur 10-14-12 07:48 AM

Throughout the preseason, coach Gregg Popovich has deflected questions aimed at handicapping what the team plans to do with its final roster spot — assuming the team plans to fill it at all. The Spurs must make at least three more cuts before the start of the season. With Curry, Powell and Brown all contributing positive things in spurts, Popovich believes the final roster decision will go down to the wire. “I think it will take a while,” Popovich said. “A couple of those guys will make it to the very end, I would imagine, if they keep playing the way they are now.”

Spurs Nation

Spurd_On 10-14-12 09:21 AM

It must be a balancing act for the coaching staff to want to get their returning players in sync and having to insert potential players all the time of whom most will not likely be part of that sync.

spurduncan21 10-14-12 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII (Post 1285526)
Ultimately I think in order to keep Curry or Powell (not both), we will have to find a home for Blair somewhere else. 3 PFs (blair, bonner, and diaw) is about 1 too many, and I think Blair might be the most expendable asset to get a 2nd rounder. We know Pop will keep Bonner around, and we just gave Diaw a new contract.

I see Powell as a classic banger, who has a somewhat 10ft jumper (that I recall from the Lakers). I don't think either moves past Splitter or Bonner in the rotation ( I don't see it happening) but when we do run into LAL and OKC , and LAC even we need a 6-9 to 6-11 wide body to absorb fouls and try and slow down their big men....

Blair will not finish this season in spurs uniform. I think the writing is on the wall. Either he will be traded mid season or simply dropped before the deadline of his contract is up on Nov 1st I believe. I like the guy just would like to get something in return for him. I would love a trade for a 1st round pick including Neal if possible.

td4mvp2k 10-14-12 12:14 PM

That better be a lotto pick if you're throwing Neal in there...

Jose_TheGenius 10-14-12 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td4mvp2k (Post 1285543)
That better be a lotto pick if you're throwing Neal in there...

Blair + Neal = lottery pick? WHAT?! :yikes

an undersized PF with no knees and a PG who can't handle the rock and is too undersized to play SG are not a lottery pick combo.

plus we haven't heard much of Brown throughout camp/games to think he's staying. he's probably the next one to go. it seems the Spurs are way higher on either Powell or Curry than him.

td4mvp2k 10-14-12 03:35 PM

If they got a high pick for Hill alone then it's no doubt they can get it for both of them. There hasn't been word from the team that say's who the favorite is... I haven't heard anything that say's Brown wouldn't stay and who know's who the next one is to go...

Jose_TheGenius 10-14-12 05:43 PM

Hill was a legit combo guard with freakish long arms and tons of potential, add that Hill was extremely popular in his hometown being from IUPUI, it made sense for the Pacers to get him. we've seen the most potential wise we'll see from these 2. they just have to be better at what they know how to do and probably won't develop anything else.

choppsboy 10-14-12 08:06 PM

I say we release blair, and keep Wesley Witherspoon and Curry.

Forget Powell

californiaSPUR 10-14-12 08:32 PM

Agreed. Spurs should keep Curry for sure. I like Whitherspoon alot and i think Blair and Bonner should go. Brown is the darkhorse.

spurduncan21 10-15-12 11:14 AM

Curry is a keeper for the reasons mentioned in another post(interior post presence). His inside scoring/dominance will pay off. If Pop can whip him into further shape I think he'll improve on the defensive end (no pun intended). I certainly can see Blair either being cut or traded for a second round pick. I'd prefer to see him packaged with Neal/Joseph, but at this stage in training camp, well take what we can get. Go spurs go!

californiaSPUR 10-15-12 04:54 PM

As i'm putting this down, Curry could be getting right now. But i hope not. I think him being out of the big cities and being an a more quiet place like San Antonio, i believe it can really help him just play basketball. And that would be good for the Spurs.

Jose_TheGenius 10-16-12 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1285556)
I say we release blair, and keep Wesley Witherspoon and Curry.

Forget Powell

you'd release a guy who can play PF for another guard when we have Parker/Mills/Neal/Joseph/Ginobili/Green/De Colo in a lockjam?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.7.4


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.2.0