SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Spurs’ renewed defensive effort takes shape (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117377-spurs-renewed-defensive-effort-takes-shape.html)

alh1020 10-05-12 09:04 PM

Spurs’ renewed defensive effort takes shape

There are some strange new markings guiding the Spurs’ renewed emphasis on defense, reminders to the team’s interior defenders about how to approach certain defensive matchups.

At each end of the three full courts inside the team’s practice facility, magenta-colored lines mark the sides of trapezoids that delineate an area in which defenders are reminded to play traditional post defense — squared-up and keeping their bodies between offensive players and the basket.

The baseline and free-throw line form two sides of the trapezoid. The magenta lines run from the corner of each baseline and sideline diagonally to the sides of the free-throw line.

Curiously, the magenta markings are inscribed with the letters K and M because the club is calling the area inside the trapezoid the Karl Malone zone, homage to the Hall of Fame Utah Jazz power forward who did the bulk of his scoring inside the delineated area.

“If you’re on the line or closer, you play post defense,” Spurs forward Matt Bonner explained.

“If you’re on the other side, you play perimeter defense. It determines how you position your feet.”

How did Bonner know that the shape of the Karl Malone zone was a trapezoid?

“I learned that from my daughter’s Sesame Street shape book,” he said.

Jazzy influences: In addition to having a daily reminder of Malone, the Spurs last week were under the observation of another Jazz Hall of Famer, retired coach Jerry Sloan.

Long a favorite of Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, Sloan spent several days at camp and sat in R.C. Buford’s box in the stands at AT&T Center to observe Wednesday’s intra-squad scrimmage.

“Having Coach Sloan here was really special, not just for me, but our players,” Popovich said.

“They all respect him so much. Being able to just talk basketball and be around the guy was really special for me, because every time the season begins everybody is doing their own thing with their own team and you don’t get to do that. Being able to go to dinner with him, to have him in our coaches meetings and add to what we’re doing is really a win for us. I think he enjoyed it, too.”

First cut: The Spurs waived point guard Sherron Collins, the former Kansas star who played 20 games for the Charlotte Bobcats in 2010-11.

With a backcourt that includes five other players with guaranteed contracts who are either point guards or combination guards — Tony Parker, Gary Neal, Patrick Mills, Cory Joseph and Nando De Colo — the odds were stacked against him.

Nineteen players remain on the training camp roster.

Spurs Nation

Jose_TheGenius 10-05-12 09:41 PM

Matt Bonner commenting on post defense, hilarious

alh1020 10-05-12 09:48 PM

He probably picked up the playing defense jargon from conversations with his daughter as well.

buttsR4rebounding 10-06-12 02:15 AM

Actually Bonner's post defense was adequate last year. He did well against traditional post plays. He got burned by athletics guys that had a jumper that would face him up 10 to 15 feet from the basket.

tenthousandaces 10-06-12 07:34 AM

He also is significantly outsized by the likes of Gasol(s) and Bynum. They make him look like a shrimp when they back him down. Not his fault I suppose.

Uwe Blab 10-06-12 10:17 AM

Generally, Bonner defense is ok. Of course he's going to get out played by the more athletic, but so does Tim at this point. He's just got that scapegoat look on him though. Rasho was always the scapegoat, now people would kill for him on this team right now because they know in reality he wasn't that bad.

MichaelWi101 10-06-12 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttsR4rebounding (Post 1285344)
He got burned by athletics guys that had a jumper that would face him up 10 to 15 feet from the basket.

And those types of players make up 60% of the Spurs opponents

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthousandaces (Post 1285345)
He also is significantly outsized by the likes of Gasol(s) and Bynum. They make him look like a shrimp when they back him down. Not his fault I suppose.

And these make up at least 30% of the others

So all in all Bonner is useful on defense maybe 10% of the time, but not that's not a problem because after all during the regular season he can chunk up 3s with the best of them :rolleyes

Jose_TheGenius 10-06-12 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthousandaces (Post 1285345)

Bonner is the same height as was Horry and Kurt Thomas. Diaw is shorter than Bonner and plays great defense vs. bigs. it's a mindset, Bonner is 2 inches shorter than Gasol and Bynum, Blair looks extremely shrimpy vs. them and plays them tougher.

alh1020 10-06-12 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius (Post 1285350)
Bonner is the same height as was Horry and Kurt Thomas. Diaw is shorter than Bonner and plays great defense vs. bigs. it's a mindset, Bonner is 2 inches shorter than Gasol and Bynum, Blair looks extremely shrimpy vs. them and plays them tougher.

And if you go back into Spurs history a little, a guy by the name of Malik Rose (6'7") played Shaq better than any Spur player I can remember --- IMHO.

Rzarector7 10-06-12 02:02 PM

Yep two good examples above, Bonner just is not that good (He is not even average most of the time on D). He is what he is, unfortunately he is still on the team and gets some PT when we know the outcome.

JuanCaca 10-08-12 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1285341)
He probably picked up the playing defense jargon from conversations with his daughter as well.

haha that remindsme the daughter of denzel washington in "remember the titans" movie :-) she was actually good reading games lol

katyspursfan 10-08-12 04:59 PM

I'm somewhat encouraged this hasn't already devolved into a Fire Pop thread.

Guess everyone's in preseason form.

Dulce 10-08-12 06:42 PM

:lol