SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Flops that will and won't be penalized (video) (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117376-flops-will-wont-penalized-video.html)

maldoror 10-05-12 06:44 PM

Flops that will and won't be penalized (video)

Direct from NBA:

http://dmmx2.nba.com/videourlredirec..._Video_10_3_12

alh1020 10-05-12 08:57 PM

The Art of Flopping as defined by the NBA. It’s going to be real interesting to watch how the league enforces these ‘opinion’ calls. The NBA can establish the standard but it all comes down to how the referee(s) interpret the plays. If the players play the game how it’s supposed to be played, we won’t see very many of these violations. Then again, there will be a few players that just don’t get it. I just hope the league didn’t provide for coaches to challenge calls that would stop play for the refs to review video of the call.

parkfan 10-05-12 11:49 PM

funny how people say manu flops but tony is in the video. The other thing i noticed is if you use 2 hands to show motion then it isnt right.

choppsboy 10-06-12 09:53 AM

Wow, I thought many of those were actual fouls. I can barely tell the difference between the "good" flops and the "bad" flops.

Rather than fine the players for flopping, why not fine the refs for making bad calls. Why blame the players for the refs incompetence?

thesuspence281 10-06-12 10:44 AM

Is it just me or could almost any of the videos they chose have been used for either flops that will or won't be penalized if the speaker narrated them differently?

shelden 10-06-12 01:16 PM

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. The "not flopping" on Brewer when he flaps his wings stood out for me.

maldoror 10-06-12 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choppsboy (Post 1285346)
Wow, I thought many of those were actual fouls. I can barely tell the difference between the "good" flops and the "bad" flops.

It can be a foul and a flop at the same time. On Tony's play the narrator says it was a foul but that Tony flopped as well. So you can get fouled and still be fined for flopping if you exaggerate the contact. I think the main thing is if you fall to the floor with contact that doesn't warrant it they are going after you.

They are pretty much right on in going after this stuff aggressively. Flops are annoying to watch.

alh1020 10-06-12 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maldoror (Post 1285357)
It can be a foul and a flop at the same time. On Tony's play the narrator says it was a foul but that Tony flopped as well. So you can get fouled and still be fined for flopping if you exaggerate the contact. I think the main thing is if you fall to the floor with contact that doesn't warrant it they are going after you.

If it were me making the call from my warm cushy recliner at home, I'd either flip a coin or hit the replay on the DVR 5-6 times.

I think the refs, once they blow their whistle, are thinking to themselves "Ok, I blew the whistle, now which way do I call this? Will my fellows refs back me or leave me flapping in the breeze. Geez, that gal in the 1st row is showing a lot of leg......whoops, stay on topic, which way do I go, which way do I go? Ok, the loser is........".

And the crowd responds with "Boooooooooooooooooooooooo".

Highlights of coming attractions, y'all!!!

maldoror 10-07-12 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alh1020 (Post 1285358)

I think the refs, once they blow their whistle, are thinking to themselves "Ok, I blew the whistle, now which way do I call this? Will my fellows refs back me or leave me flapping in the breeze. Geez, that gal in the 1st row is showing a lot of leg......whoops, stay on topic, which way do I go, which way do I go? Ok, the loser is........".

And the crowd responds with "Boooooooooooooooooooooooo".

Highlights of coming attractions, y'all!!!

It think it will do nothing but help. Flops will be less frequent so the bad calls from flops will also be down.

Guapo 10-08-12 04:12 AM

I will be happy if 3 people review the videos and two of the three agree. If you put it in the hands of one sole reviewer, there could be problems.

maldoror 10-09-12 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guapo (Post 1285385)
I will be happy if 3 people review the videos and two of the three agree. If you put it in the hands of one sole reviewer, there could be problems.

Since it involves fines and disciplinary action I would expect the violation would have to be a reviewed by several people.