News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-12, 12:43 PM

The case against trading Stephen Jackson

I’ve been on a kick the last two or three months about the plethora of options Stephen Jackson’s contract unlocks. It’s become a minor obsession of mine (a totally healthy one). And while I do think dealing Jack for a big who can defend the pick-and-roll and/or protect the rim could make the Spurs better in the long run and possibly improve whatever title chances they have, all is not lost if they keep him.

It’s clear from the first few days of media access that one of the points of emphasis for the Spurs defensively is physicality. I wouldn’t venture to call the Spurs of the recent past “soft,” that’s a harsh thing to label a team in professional sports these days, but you wouldn’t think of them as a team that will punish you either. This season, it seems the Spurs are trying to move more in the direction of the latter.

The case against trading Stephen Jackson | 48 Minutes of Hell
Old 10-03-12, 01:07 PM
SpursReport Rookie

just the fact that people are even whispering trade scares me. the one single player who showed the biggest huevos and heart we contemplate shipping off? i think its funny really we talk about getting a legit big man but most forget that in order to get that its going to cost us more then jack's 10 million contract. id take his "take no prisoners" or "kick everyones ass" attitude any day rather then risk shipping him off for a player who isnt close to us getting what we need. keep mr. "i make love to presure" in san antone and have him retire a spur, you know it, i know it, we all know it that this is just how it should be. when danny green melted, TP was silenced and manu was kept at bay capt'n was the lone ranger still standing knocking down those clutch 3s even if it was merely delaying the eventual conclusion.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-12, 01:38 PM
The Master Baiter

Good points but I think he's reaching. It didn't work last year. He tried his hardest those last four games, but it sure didn't "infect" anyone else. Love the guy, but I think the Spurs are working on something. It's just smart business, his contract is attractive, you know you're not going to break the bank to keep him, but you might as well get something for him rather than let him walk.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-12, 02:20 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

the only trade i want for SJAX is one of those that at the end the other team waive the player and he is signed again in the previous team for the vet min :-)
Old 10-03-12, 04:03 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I've been saying it... They're a 'ship away with another big.
Old 10-03-12, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
the only trade i want for SJAX is one of those that at the end the other team waive the player and he is signed again in the previous team for the vet min :-)
i don't think you can do that anymore with the current CBA. Fisher wasn't allowed to go to the Lakers after he was traded to Houston
Old 10-03-12, 04:52 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I'm lost. How did anything in this topic become worthy of being "News"? It all seems like idle speculation to me.
Old 10-03-12, 05:32 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Because for all you know the Spurs could be preparing for a trade.
Old 10-03-12, 05:47 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
I'm lost. How did anything in this topic become worthy of being "News"? It all seems like idle speculation to me.

Caption: Stephen Jackson's expiring contract

By the time the trade deadline roles along, whoever owns Jackson's contract will owe about $4 Million for the remainder of the year. Are you telling me that won't be attractive to some lottery team with a center who has $30 Million left on his contract and wants to rebuild? The Spurs are committed to big money for Parker and Duncan for the next 3 seasons and I think it is almost a certainty that Manu will be brought back for that duration as well. There are few people on this board who love Steven Jackson more than I do, but if we have the opportunity to bring in a big time post player for him I would do it in a heartbeat.

Last edited by b1gdon; 10-03-12 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-03-12, 06:17 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I am going to start sounding like I am repeating myself here but I do not want to start sifting through trade S Jax threads to see options that are newbies or cast offs from other teams that the Spurs magical culture will Yogurtise them into someone we actually want.

S Jax may not like working out in the off season but he provided a key scoring and defensive factor that nearly took us past the Thunder, insert whatever reason you believe we failed, and we will definately value that link in our chain this year with more time to integrate it into the structure.

Do not trade S Jax unless you are getting a proven entity that will be the key to beating the restocked teams of the West.
Old 10-03-12, 06:35 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kager View Post
I am going to start sounding like I am repeating myself here but I do not want to start sifting through trade S Jax threads to see options that are newbies or cast offs from other teams that the Spurs magical culture will Yogurtise them into someone we actually want.

S Jax may not like working out in the off season but he provided a key scoring and defensive factor that nearly took us past the Thunder, insert whatever reason you believe we failed, and we will definately value that link in our chain this year with more time to integrate it into the structure.

Do not trade S Jax unless you are getting a proven entity that will be the key to beating the restocked teams of the West.
I agree, and at a annual salary of $7.5-12.5 Million (which is Jackson's annual salary +/- 25%), that is what we should be able to get.
Old 10-03-12, 07:11 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gdon View Post

Caption: Stephen Jackson's expiring contract

By the time the trade deadline roles along, whoever owns Jackson's contract will owe about $4 Million for the remainder of the year. Are you telling me that won't be attractive to some lottery team with a center who has $30 Million left on his contract and wants to rebuild?
No. I'm saying when and if that happens or even if the Spurs announce it will or could happen, that's when it becomes news. Until then, it is outside speculation. I'm not saying it's not a good topic for a thread. It is. It's just not news.
Old 10-03-12, 07:12 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

I wasn't initially all that in favor of SJax coming back to the Spurs, but his play last season and the way he's approaching this season has changed my opinion.

I like him coming off the bench behind Kawhi and I think he could be very important to the team this year, you know he's not ever going to hang his head and pout, not on this team and he is playing for his next and probably last contract.

I can't think of any 'big' on any of the proposed lottery teams who might be available at the trade deadline that would be able to come in and help the Spurs win and any GM willing to trade a really good big man for SJax is frankly dumber than mud...
Old 10-03-12, 10:01 PM
SpursReport Team Member

It is news if the Spurs have said a number of times they are looking for ways to make their team better and a possible trade of a known name would be one of them.
Old 10-03-12, 10:09 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Michael, There are some and Varejao is one of them.
Old 10-04-12, 01:07 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Fine. If that's news to some of you so be it. To me, SJax's contract is fact and news. What is to be resolved on the issue is speculation and opinion until action is taken and not news. If intended action is taken or mentioned by the Spurs, it becomes actual news to me because that would be an official statement and not just something bantered about in forums or by writers. "Just the facts ma'm". Apparently the definition of the word "News" has changed recently and not been updated to Wikipedia as yet.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 10-04-12 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-04-12, 10:30 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
Fine. If that's news to some of you so be it. To me, SJax's contract is fact and news. What is to be resolved on the issue is speculation and opinion until action is taken and not news. If intended action is taken or mentioned by the Spurs, it becomes actual news to me because that would be an official statement and not just something bantered about in forums or by writers. "Just the facts ma'm". Apparently the definition of the word "News" has changed recently and not been updated to Wikipedia as yet.
I think we are all bored and ready for the season start. This board wouldn't exist if there weren't banter. Just go with the flow man. Puff, puff, give...puff, puff, give...
Old 10-04-12, 04:07 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
I think we are all bored and ready for the season start. This board wouldn't exist if there weren't banter. Just go with the flow man. Puff, puff, give...puff, puff, give...
You're probably right. Getting this tooth pulled in the morning will probably help too.
Old 10-05-12, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
so nothing about maybe a trade cooking with Stephen Jackson but Manu gets brought up and you think we'll trade him? COME ON UWE!
Old 10-05-12, 03:29 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Julian Mozo: #NBA A little bird from San Antonio tells me the Spurs are seriously considering extending Manu Ginobili's contract this season. Twitter @JulianMozo

Have no idea who Julian Mozo is, but I found this on hoopshype just now
Old 10-05-12, 05:01 PM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Julian Mozo: #NBA A little bird from San Antonio tells me the Spurs are seriously considering extending Manu Ginobili's contract this season. Twitter @JulianMozo

Have no idea who Julian Mozo is, but I found this on hoopshype just now
That little bird is of the "DUH" species. Of course it's something they have to consider.