News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 10-02-12, 11:44 AM
SR Team Goof

Ginobili: Contract no cause for worry

Just as Spurs captain Tim Duncan angered his agent when he declared himself a Spur for life weeks before hitting the free-agent market in June, veteran guard Manu Ginobili on Monday undercut what bargaining power he may have had when his contract expires in July.

Saying that he plays for the love of the game, Ginobili asserted that being in the final season of a three-year, $38.8 million contract won’t change his approach this season.

“I don’t even think like this,” he said. “I don’t care. If it’s for a lot of money, a huge amount of money, I don’t care. I’m fine with what I’ve earned in my career. That is not a point of emphasis this year. I just want to play well and help my team make it as far as last year.”

Ginobili, 35, gave no hint if he will play beyond this season, but stressed his preference to stay with the Spurs if he does.

“If I’m going to play next year, it’s highly likely it’s going to be here,” he said. “So I really don’t care (about this being a contract season).”

Big addition: It was hard to miss the surprise addition to the training camp roster during Monday’s media day session. Seven-foot, 295-pound center Eddy Curry always has been a magnet for attention, starting with his selection at the No. 4 overall pick in the 2001 draft.

Curry, with career averages of 13.0 points and 5.2 rebounds over 10 seasons with the Bulls, Knicks and Heat, was signed to a non-guaranteed contract after participating in open gym sessions last week. He says he lost 15 to 20 pounds over the summer.

“I came here last week, and I like how they play,” Curry said. “I think I showed them I can get up and down the court when I came here. I think Pop knows what I can do. The main thing now is just to build on that and have a good camp.”

After playing pickup games with Curry, Duncan said he was encouraged by his conditioning.

“I see potential, potential, potential,” Duncan said. “He does seem fit, and I think he’s anxious.

I hope that translates into something. He’s a heck of a body, a heck of a talent, and I hope we can turn that into something and give us another huge piece. It would be great.”

Curry is one of six non-roster players invited to camp and one of three with NBA experience.

Other former NBA players are 6-8 forward Derrick Brown and 6-9 forward Josh Powell.

Also invited to camp: 5-11 guard Sherron Collins, 6-8 forward Tyler Wilkerson and 6-9 forward Wesley Witherspoon.

Spurs Nation
Old 10-02-12, 11:59 AM
SpursReport Team Member

Ginobili, spoken like a true Spur. If only there were more like him. Surprising to see TD speak so high of Curry...I mean is this guy really going to find a defensive game...Maybe if you try to steal his donut.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-12, 12:36 PM

the guy got his payday. with how he played last year, he can't go by anyone without a screen like years past. at this point, even at his highest level, he's not worth more than $7 mill a year and he'd get that just because of what he means to the Spurs.
Old 10-02-12, 12:39 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

sorry... what exaclty is "pickup games"? better in spanish lol.. thanks
Old 10-02-12, 02:21 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

.Oops. Just noticed you wanted Spanish. I can't explain in Spanish.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 10-02-12 at 02:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-02-12, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanCaca View Post
sorry... what exaclty is "pickup games"? better in spanish lol.. thanks
competitive games for fun, like what you play with friends
Old 10-02-12, 05:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

It sounds like Manu is really considering the possibility of retirement after this season on his mind. He usually doesn't put an "if I decide to play again..." into his speech. I'm starting to see that he may be gone at the end of the season .
Old 10-02-12, 07:58 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmgospurs View Post
It sounds like Manu is really considering the possibility of retirement after this season on his mind. He usually doesn't put an "if I decide to play again..." into his speech. I'm starting to see that he may be gone at the end of the season .
Through the years, Manu has taxed his body to the max in his hustle and taking a lot of hits. Maybe his body is talking back to him and Manu is finally starting to listen. If he does decide to make this his last year, I hope RC and Pop bring him back as an assistant coach, possibly groom him for a vacancy if Pop decides to hang it up.
Old 10-02-12, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

by the way here's a nice interview with him
Local | WOAI: San Antonio News
Old 10-02-12, 11:43 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
by the way here's a nice interview with him
Local | WOAI: San Antonio News
Awesome.
Old 10-03-12, 10:27 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

thanks for the xplanation!! and i hope manu hang with the guys another year at least...
Old 10-03-12, 05:31 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
I wouldn't read too much into it. He is older and more mature and knows that nothing lasts forever. With that comes the the knowledge that something out of his control could come around and end his career. As long as he's healthy, he's going to come back.

By the way, have you noticed how rare it is that players leave the Spurs by the own volition. They either retire, are traded, or are not invited back. The last player that I can think of that left the Spurs by their own choosing was Stephen Jackson...and we all know where he is now. Even the guys we bring back take less money to stay here. You'd think free agents would take notice of these things.

Last edited by b1gdon; 10-03-12 at 05:35 PM.