News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

View Poll Results: Are you in favor of shortening the NBA season?
Yes 10 66.67%
No 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-12, 03:05 PM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Would a shortened season be better for the NBA?

After last year's scramble, coaches embrace a full preseason | NBA.com

George Karl: "I'm sure Commissioner Stern won't like this, but I think the product would be better if we shortened the season. When we start playing in late October, the people are thinking football. If you could just get us less fatigue [in a shorter season], I think you'd have a better product.

When they started on Christmas Day, I thought, 'This is not a bad idea. This should be the start of NBA basketball ... Maybe start Dec. 1 and play 62 games, whatever number they'd come to."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-23-12, 05:08 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

I don't know about a shorter season, but I sure liked watching so many games stuffed into such a small window.

Of course I don't think that is good for players.
Old 09-23-12, 05:39 PM

shortened season: yes
shortened congested season like last year: no

if they can play around 50 or so games and spread them out, it'll do well. the season won't lag on forever or (like a lock out season) it won't overwhelm everyone.
Old 09-23-12, 07:05 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

But would there be enough profit in a 50-game season to pay the players, staff and owners?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-23-12, 07:27 PM
The Eternal Optimist

If done right they would get more mileage out their super stars, more return for the owners' investments and moving the start back four weeks would maybe 12 or 16 games. Six or eight home incomes. Not a bad trade if you got two more years of a Duncan, say. In plain numbers, if you extend a career from 10 to 12 seasons losing six home dates a year. You in turn get roughly 150 more and probably two more years of playoff income. The six games over ten years = 60 games and the two extra seasons = roughly 150 fans. (2 1/2 times the number lost plus two extra seasons of playoff revenue. What is not to like?
Old 09-23-12, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
But would there be enough profit in a 50-game season to pay the players, staff and owners?
fewer games would mean higher priced games. it would probably mean more people going to them too since a long season has games that a lot of people don't go to vs. garbage teams (unless there's an All You Can Eat thing going on)
Old 09-23-12, 10:26 PM
SpursReport Team Member

I would keep it the same and move it back to December. The time after basketball and before football is so boring.
Old 09-24-12, 05:06 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkfan View Post
I would keep it the same and move it back to December. The time after basketball and before football is so boring.
So start the first week of December and end mid-late July?

I'm good with it, but I bet that the networks are hard pressed against it, given that teevee ratings are way down in the summer. All those fans who are out on vacation during the Finals...

Won't happen.
I remember being in Cozumel in '04, thinking that it's kinda cool that the Spurs got beat by LA, only because I didn't have to miss the Finals. And I got next day info that the Lakers were getting beat. But I wasn't missing the Finals real time. And really didn't care.
Old 09-24-12, 11:38 PM
SpursReport Team Member

move it back more and have it end in August
Old 09-25-12, 01:48 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Since I have always looked football to watch between baseball and basketball, what I think is way off. Given the general consensus regarding football, starting a month later and playing somewhere around 66 games makes sense. Even structuring the season so there were NO back to backs would be a boon to player longevity.
Old 09-26-12, 02:30 PM
SpursReport Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post
So start the first week of December and end mid-late July?

I'm good with it, but I bet that the networks are hard pressed against it, given that teevee ratings are way down in the summer. All those fans who are out on vacation during the Finals...

Won't happen.
I remember being in Cozumel in '04, thinking that it's kinda cool that the Spurs got beat by LA, only because I didn't have to miss the Finals. And I got next day info that the Lakers were getting beat. But I wasn't missing the Finals real time. And really didn't care.
Are TV ratings lower in the summer because there are fewer viewers or is it because there is nothing new to watch on TV? I have a feeling it is more of the latter. At any given time there are relatively few people from any market away on vacation (outside of holidays) even during the summer months. Most people spend their vacations in country and spend it visiting relatives and there is only so much time one can spend catching up with Aunt Florence. That is part of the reason why Thanksgiving, Xmas, and New Years games have such great viewership, they allow you to spend quality time with your in-laws without having to actually spend quality time with them. Given that all playoff games are nationally televised, you'll be able to catch them anywhere.

I think the actual reason ratings are lower is because there is nothing on. When there is actually something on in the summer, ratings are great. The world's two most popular sporting events happen in the summer and they have absolutely no problem drawing viewers (see Olympics and World Cup). That is why I say keep the same number of games, just time shift the start of the NBA season up 4 weeks. That would move the start of the finals to 6 or 7 July thus avoiding the 4th of July weekend (if you are really worried about it, you can set it up so that conference finals end prior by 2 July although I honestly don't think it will make a ratings difference. I would avoid August just to keep out of the way of the Olympics, not because as the NBA I care about Olympic basketball, but because of the ratings buzzsaw.