News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 09-20-12, 12:38 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Malcolm Thomas?

Searching for more than just an invite to NBA training camp, Los Angeles D-Fenders forward Malcolm Thomas has been working out for teams in hopes of securing a guaranteed deal. Though he still remains humble, perhaps the big man has the skill and proven talent to back up his bold asking price. Thomas was named to All-NBA D-League First Team this past season, after averaging 13.5 points, 9.1 rebounds, and 2.3 blocks per contest. He ended up donning three D-League team uniforms when the campaign was all said and done, but concluded the season on a high-note as he led the D-Fenders all the way to The Finals. Averaging a double-double off the bench in the postseason, Thomas averaged 17.9 points and 12.3 rebounds per game. As he looks to achieve that NBA dream, Thomas participated in a two-day workout with the New York Knicks last week. According to RealGM, New York executives liked what they saw but no formal offer has been made as of yet.

Forget a Camp Invite, Malcolm Thomas Looking for Guaranteed NBA Deal? - Ridiculous Upside
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-12, 12:48 AM
SR Team Goof

Thomas has been one of the few 10-day contract players to be waived by the Spurs that I liked. I hope he lands with someone if not the Spurs, someday.
Old 09-20-12, 07:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

When I googled him last week, there was interest in Chicago with the Bulls.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-12, 08:27 AM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Is he the kid that went to San Diego State with Kawhi? If I remember correctly he didn't have much if any offensive game.

At this stage of the game I don't think there are that many open spots for 'guaranteed' contracts especially for guys who haven't really shown they can play or contribute on a night in, night out basis.
Old 09-20-12, 10:04 AM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
Is he the kid that went to San Diego State with Kawhi? If I remember correctly he didn't have much if any offensive game.

At this stage of the game I don't think there are that many open spots for 'guaranteed' contracts especially for guys who haven't really shown they can play or contribute on a night in, night out basis.
He's the guy who teamed with Kawhi. I agree, he didn't show a lot of offense but what got my attention on Thomas was what a commentator said, I don't recall who, that he had read that Thomas was better defensively than Kawhi in college. In the very small amount of PT he did get, he showed me he had very good lateral movement, had quick reflexes and was a quick leaper for his size and he stuck to his man. I wished the Spurs would have left him in Austin and continued to develop and he might have been invited to be on our summer league roster for more exposure. But as soon as I heard he had a 10 day contract I knew he would be gone and garbage PT is not enough floor time to show what you can really contribute to a team when you're playing with guys you've never played with before.