SpursReport.com

SpursReport.com (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/)
-   Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/)
-   -   Tracy McGrady works out for Spurs, Knicks (http://www.spursreport.com/forums/spurs-nba-fan-feedback/117287-tracy-mcgrady-works-out-spurs-knicks.html)

alh1020 09-13-12 11:08 AM

Tracy McGrady works out for Spurs, Knicks

Still searching for an NBA franchise willing to guarantee a contract for next season, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs this week at the team's practice facility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/lz...082491-p2.jpeg

Tracy McGrady averaged 5.2 points and three assists with the Hawks last season. (Getty Images)Next up for McGrady on Thursday is a workout for the New York Knicks, league sources said.

Time is running out for the 33-year-old McGrady to secure a guaranteed contract for the season. Sources say he will likely have to choose between accepting a "make-good" training-camp invite or going overseas – perhaps to China.

The Spurs have brought several players to San Antonio to evaluate over recent weeks, and have yet to make a decision on whether McGrady could possibly fit into the team's plans this season. The Knicks have discussed the possibility of adding another perimeter scoring threat, and want to evaluate McGrady for a possible return. McGrady played 24 games in 2010 with the Knicks.

After 15 years in the league, McGrady had career-low numbers in Atlanta a season ago, averaging 5.2 points in 16 minutes per game. A former two-time scoring champion and first-team All-NBA player, McGrady has been slowed with knee problems in recent years.

Tracy McGrady works out for Spurs, Knicks - Yahoo! Sports

Wesley33177 09-13-12 11:49 AM

The reason I can think of the Spurs working out all these SGs and SFs is if they are planning on making a deal.

Jose_TheGenius 09-13-12 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley33177 (Post 1284737)
The reason I can think of the Spurs working out all these SGs and SFs is if they are planning on making a deal.

highly doubt it. i think it may be more of a lack of trust of "big time" players during the stretch with our young guys. if we were making a deal, the Spurs wouldn't be holding it up to see who's available in the FA market. if we trade 2-3 guys off our roster and need someone, a McGrady would still be available (for a low guaranteed contract).

esparzar1 09-13-12 02:37 PM

:boring..........................in other news, it's been reported that Jerry West, Wilt Chamberlin, and Bob Cousy have been seen working out at the San Antonio Spurs facility. Rumors are the Spurs are the "Front runners" in getting all three of these players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

katyspursfan 09-13-12 03:52 PM

I can't tell you how much a I shuddered at this thought.

Uwe Blab 09-13-12 04:49 PM

They would be working him out because they are going to need him at that position. Look for a Manu trade...

grizzly_bexar 09-13-12 05:26 PM

Manu is not going anywhere. Except maybe the injured list for half the season.

Jose_TheGenius 09-13-12 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uwe Blab (Post 1284745)
They would be working him out because they are going to need him at that position. Look for a Manu trade...

so while we trade our widely popular injury prone Argie SG, we're looking for an even more injury prone shell of a shell of himself to take his place?

if we were trading Manu, we'd already have enough 2 guards (Green, De Colo, Jackson, Neal) to not need to sign anyone else.

td4mvp2k 09-13-12 07:02 PM

If healthy and can buy into the team, would be a good pickup.

SilverSpur 09-16-12 02:23 AM

Spurs have tried to land Tracy in the past-- more than once. Not surprised to see a move like this and hope that if he does land here, he will teach some of the younger guys.

mckennaspur1 09-19-12 10:22 AM

Man. I would have loved to get this guy 8-10 years ago....

SPURSGIRL4Life 09-20-12 01:16 AM

I didn't want him 8-10 years ago and I don't want him now. On to the next discussion about another prospective washed up player..........

katyspursfan 09-20-12 05:54 PM

If McGrady were signed, I think the suction encountered from the heart vacuum might remove both Manu and Tim from the active list.

Or, the Spurs' resident cardiologist would get a pass. No heart? No problem!