News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com

Go Back   SpursReport.com > SpursReport Fan Forums > Spurs and NBA Fan Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-12, 12:30 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Spurs Are Seriously Considering Signing Andray Blatche To A Contract.

Real Time NBA ‏@NBA_365 A source has told NBA_365 that the Spurs are "seriously considering" signing Andray Blatche to a contract.
https://twitter.com/NBA_365
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-12, 01:16 PM

"seriously considering" when he apparently really wants to be here has to let you think they're extremely nervous signing a head case to the team. contrary to the board, the Spurs are being overly cautious instead of a "let's sign him right away", even if he's better than Bonner and Blair.

this isn't a veteran team, so this guy may cause serious trouble in the locker room with the young guys.
Old 08-29-12, 01:24 PM
SpursReport Rookie

They need to sign him! Being not signed this late into the offseason means no one is seriously interested in him and he could come for minimum $ and potentially do very well for this team, not saying he's going to put us over the Thunder or Lakers but is he's motivated, it just might be one of the bigger surprises this season. Let's not forget how young the guy is, and let's not forget our big mans lack luster performances during the Thunder series, the Spurs need to take a chance here or there and do something about the big man situation already!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-29-12, 01:29 PM
The Master Baiter

Well, honestly, I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion. But the Spurs should be in desperation mode. They need length and ANY kind of athleticism, and mostly they need attitude at the center position. So if this guy can do that, it's worth the risks. More importantly, he will most likely be looking to prove himself so he should stay on the straight and narrow.
Old 08-29-12, 05:08 PM
Herman Cain of the board

The guy averaged 16 and 8 one year. He has potential. He is already getting big money.......so to me it's worth a shot at vet min.
Old 08-29-12, 05:36 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

According to the espn list of the nba's 500 players, Blatche is number 254 and Mahinmi is 251....

Spurs on the list so far are
Patty Mills 309 up from 316
James Anderson 424 down from 346
Cory Joseph 458 down from 434
Derrick Byars 488 nr last year

As far as I can tell, Blair, Bonner and Splitter haven't been listed yet
Old 08-29-12, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
The guy averaged 16 and 8 one year. He has potential. He is already getting big money.......so to me it's worth a shot at vet min.
so you wouldn't think twice about signing a head case to a team with young guys (Green, Mills, De Colo, Splitter, Blair, Leonard) and not think twice about the influence he may have, especially if he does well on the court?

also remember the coach we have. he's one stupid move away from getting Blair/Bonner ahead of him in the rotation and probably causing fits.

only reason i say that is that the Spurs are probably going pros and cons here because we do have to cut someone to make room for him. if he becomes a head case, we're one injury away from the remaining bigs from being royally fudged
Old 08-29-12, 06:35 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post
so you wouldn't think twice about signing a head case to a team with young guys (Green, Mills, De Colo, Splitter, Blair, Leonard) and not think twice about the influence he may have, especially if he does well on the court?

also remember the coach we have. he's one stupid move away from getting Blair/Bonner ahead of him in the rotation and probably causing fits.

only reason i say that is that the Spurs are probably going pros and cons here because we do have to cut someone to make room for him. if he becomes a head case, we're one injury away from the remaining bigs from being royally fudged
I think in this case you do think twice for sure but if you don't gamble how will they ever adapt and overcome to compete against these super teams? Their cap is capped. They draft low or trade their draft picks. They have not brought in a legit free agent stud in about 12 years. Splitter to me is not a young player anymore FYI. The others yes they are young but the international guys seem to be more mature than their age indicates. I'm assuming if they brought in AB or anyone else they would move out a big in some form.(Bonner/Blair) They have 14 signed and could go over like last year on the luxury tax but don't see that happening. If they don't take any risks than might as well cement the Lakers or the Heat as 2013 champs. They have been exposed the last two playoff defeats when facing certain WC young athletic teams. Status Quo will not work to win another title. If that's the case the window is not closed............... it's nailed shut!
Old 08-29-12, 07:04 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think it's a pretty low risk, high reward type of move. What keeps me optimistic is that San Antonio definitely has a corporate culture and can bring the best out of players. Not only, Tim and Manu, but a player like Stephen Jackson who has the same character issues we fear in blatche. If Jackson can provide a legitimate sound board and Shepard this Blatche, we may get the best out of him.

Also on the flip side , he's coming from being a HS player on the most dysfunctional franchise in Basketball. The Wizards are a case study in how to not run an organization ; and provided alot of pitfalls for a young guy like Blatche. I don't think the guy is a saint, but he was in a terrible environment ( should we remind ourselves the franchise player and his 6th man engaged in a duel over a card game?)

Best case scenario, the guy comes off the bench, spells a big man for 20 minutes, and shores up a few misgivings we have on the team. Maybe he helps us start a guy like Splitter for the season, and provides energy off the bench.

worst case scenario ; we cut him and try to salvage any big man from the d-league.

Pipe Dream Scenario : he starts and bonds well with Duncan to form a frontline we havent had since 2007
Old 08-29-12, 09:11 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyAdamII View Post
I think it's a pretty low risk, high reward type of move. What keeps me optimistic is that San Antonio definitely has a corporate culture and can bring the best out of players. Not only, Tim and Manu, but a player like Stephen Jackson who has the same character issues we fear in blatche. If Jackson can provide a legitimate sound board and Shepard this Blatche, we may get the best out of him.

Also on the flip side , he's coming from being a HS player on the most dysfunctional franchise in Basketball. The Wizards are a case study in how to not run an organization ; and provided alot of pitfalls for a young guy like Blatche. I don't think the guy is a saint, but he was in a terrible environment ( should we remind ourselves the franchise player and his 6th man engaged in a duel over a card game?)

Best case scenario, the guy comes off the bench, spells a big man for 20 minutes, and shores up a few misgivings we have on the team. Maybe he helps us start a guy like Splitter for the season, and provides energy off the bench.

worst case scenario ; we cut him and try to salvage any big man from the d-league.

Pipe Dream Scenario : he starts and bonds well with Duncan to form a frontline we havent had since 2007
It's a win win for both sides. He needs to repair his image and what better opportunity to do so than with the classiest team in the league. At almost 7 foot, he'd be what we mostly all wanted other than him being a shot blocker. Hope the FO pulls the trigger. I'd like to see him alongside splitter or TD. I just want to mention that Trevor ZickGraf from Project spurs mentioned that he could conceivably fit in well with any of the spurs bigs. Cant say I disagree

- Confucius
Old 08-29-12, 09:55 PM
SR Team Goof

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurduncan21 View Post
It's a win win for both sides. He needs to repair his image and what better opportunity to do so than with the classiest team in the league. At almost 7 foot, he'd be what we mostly all wanted other than him being a shot blocker. Hope the FO pulls the trigger. I'd like to see him alongside splitter or TD. I just want to mention that Trevor ZickGraf from Project spurs mentioned that he could conceivably fit in well with any of the spurs bigs. Cant say I disagree
Agreed. All he’s known in the NBA is playing in a Wizards uniform. Under different leadership, team environment and a winning attitude, this might be enough to spark the player who put up 16 PPG and 8 RPG back in 2010-2011. And since he has publicly stated he’ll play for the vet minimum and/or the D-league, seems to me he wants to win some confidence and support to better himself. This could be the steal that everybody else is passing on. If worse comes to worse, all we lose is the vet minimum and some playing time. But if he’s the real deal, he takes a lot of pressure off Duncan and pushes Splitter to better himself or sit the bench. Sign him and let's get ready for training camp.
Old 08-29-12, 11:08 PM
Dr. Doom!!!

Quote:

You think the same risk was not involved in 02 when they picked up Jackson? That worked out well I would say albeit only a year or so. Under the right coach and guys you can turn someone around.
You could let it pick your brain for weeks and months, just replay it over and over, won't do you any good at all. When someone loses a loved one and they do that it only brings forth anguish. I feel acceptance is sometimes the key, it happened, now you have to react to it. Giving up is not an option.
Old 08-30-12, 03:20 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Just do it already! Gotta love a guy who wants something this badly... or do you?

Old 08-30-12, 04:53 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Then again.. Here are some pretty good reasons why you might want him...

Old 08-30-12, 10:12 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Then again.. Here are some pretty good reasons why you might want him...

What's not to like? Dude got great feel inside and Can hit the midrange jumper. Should be hat were all lookin for. So he's not a shot locker and a great rebounder but if he committed his game to the team mentality as he letting on to the public since being amnestied, should be a no brainer. Getting him would spell the end of DB

- Confucius
Old 08-30-12, 10:18 AM

Quote:
What's not to like? Dude got great feel inside and Can hit the midrange jumper. Should be hat were all lookin for. So he's not a shot locker and a great rebounder but if he committed his game to the team mentality as he letting on to the public since being amnestied, should be a no brainer. Getting him would spell the end of DB
did you see the video? his selfishness and stupidity for #1 & #2.

it's a sad thought when people want to sign someone to get rid of the last big on the bench who didn't get many minutes in the postseason. getting rid of Dejuan Blair isn't going to help this team any unless we bump Splitter or (doubt it) Diaw in the rotation to show real depth. all we'd be doing is replacing Bonner or Blair with someone who'll get the same minutes.
Old 08-30-12, 10:51 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

I don´t know. JaVale McGee turned out to be far better out of Washington. I´m not saying he will become an AllStar, but being in the Spurs would probably starigthen him a lot.
Do you remember Manu´s almost triple double?
Old 08-30-12, 11:07 AM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

So, for argument sake.....let's say the Spurs sign him. Do you still start Diaw or make Blatche the starting center....hmmmmmmmm. Better passing/shooting center (Diaw) or more length/size "true" center (Blatche). Thoughts........
Old 08-30-12, 11:18 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:
So, for argument sake.....let's say the Spurs sign him. Do you still start Diaw or make Blatche the starting center....hmmmmmmmm. Better passing/shooting center (Diaw) or more length/size "true" center (Blatche). Thoughts........
start splitter, and bring blatche off the bench
Old 08-30-12, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

You can't truly expect him to get away with that under Pop. I saw some imaturity and ignorance but I can't say I recognized stupidity. He seems to have natural BBall instincts and the ability to execute. He also demonstrated some unselfishness by passing off to teammates.

Last edited by Spurd_On; 08-30-12 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-30-12, 12:27 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
this isn't a veteran team, so this guy may cause serious trouble in the locker room with the young guys.
Not a veteran team? The big 3 along with S-Jax are enough to keep any player in check. Doesnt matter about the rest of the team. No matter who else is on the roster will fall in line after those veteran guys. Considering SJax came aboard and has no issues, he was just following suit with prototypical players while in the Spurs system

- Confucius
Old 08-30-12, 12:36 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:

it's a sad thought when people want to sign someone to get rid of the last big on the bench who didn't get many minutes in the postseason. getting rid of Dejuan Blair isn't going to help this team any unless we bump Splitter or (doubt it) Diaw in the rotation to show real depth. all we'd be doing is replacing Bonner or Blair with someone who'll get the same minutes.
In the video, it showed his handle with the ball as well as his inside game with the ability to hit the occasional mid range jumper. Granted when he purposely missed a layup to gain a trip dub that one time, but nobody can deny that he has talent and a ton of potential at 26 years young. He was a waste in Washington but to think of him coming to SA trying to repair his image and show that he belongs on NBA squad and then messing it up is just crazy and I must say idiotic especially with a team with as much leadership as our spurs. He's no artest in the sense that hes a headcase with no resolution. Even S-Jax went into the stands, but somehow someway he didn't let that mess up his image and has been a saint (typical saint other than G Hill pulling an Oden). We have nothin to lose havin this fella in training camp and hopefully donning a spurs uni when the season starts. Go spurs go!

- Confucius
Old 08-30-12, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurd_On View Post
You can't truly expect him to get away with that under Pop. I saw some imaturity and ignorance but I can't say I recognized stupidity. He seems to have natural BBall instincts and the ability to execute. He also demonstrated some unselfishness by passing off to teammates.
i don't expect him to get away with that under Pop. problem with that is, if he gets into Pop's doghouse, now we're left with a mandatory rotation of Duncan/Diaw then Splitter/Bonner because we have to cut Blair in the process to make room. this isn't a gamble like in 2003-2007 where we had a set rotation of 8 and we could spare the rest.

Quote:
Not a veteran team? The big 3 along with S-Jax are enough to keep any player in check. Doesnt matter about the rest of the team. No matter who else is on the roster will fall in line after those veteran guys. Considering SJax came aboard and has no issues, he was just following suit with prototypical players while in the Spurs system
we have around 14 guys under contracts, so we'd have to cut one and make room for him to stay at 14.

Duncan + Ginobili + Parker + Jackson = 4 out of 10. this isn't a veteran team. we're relatively young in chemistry overall and in age. like i've said, i do think Pop will try to keep him in line or put him in the dog house like he's done with many players (especially guys who have done lesser things than Blatche may do like Nazr hoisting up a 3 at the end of a game), problem is we're short in depth as far as valuable players and a young team. the Spurs aren't outright offering him a deal because they know the consequences of taking this risk. it's not as easy as a lot of people on here make it sound. he pulls a Nazr at the end of a game or does something else and Splitter or Duncan (one has been injury prone and Duncan is older and needs rest anyway) go down, then you have Diaw/Splitter/Blatche/Bonner or Duncan/Diaw/Blatche/Bonner as your main rotational bigs which is a huge reason why we're trying to trade Blair for something over just waiving him because he's still valuable.
Old 08-30-12, 04:07 PM

This is a veteran team
Tim - 15
SJax - 12
Tony - 11
Manu - 10
Diaw - 9
Bonner - 8
That's 6 right there with over 5 years NBA experience

These guys are starting their 4th year
Blair - 3
Mills - 3
Green - 3

these are starting their 3rd
Neal - 2
Splitter - 2 - I don't consider a 'young' player even though he's only had 2 year NBA

and finally
Kawhi - 1
Cory - 1

And our rookie - Nando

These guys have the experience so Blatche wouldn't be that much of a problem, but I just think his whole rep is so toxic that nobody wants to take a chance on him.
Old 08-30-12, 04:08 PM
President: K.Leo Fan Club

Quote:
start splitter, and bring blatche off the bench
What does Splitter bring to the starting line-up that Blatche doesn't? Plus I actually love Splitter coming off the bench with Manu. They run the pick'n'roll excellent together. Not a big fan of Splitter starting in any scenario...just my 2 cents!
Old 08-30-12, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelWi101 View Post
This is a veteran team
Tim - 15
SJax - 12
Tony - 11
Manu - 10
Diaw - 9
Bonner - 8
That's 6 right there with over 5 years NBA experience

These guys are starting their 4th year
Blair - 3
Mills - 3
Green - 3

these are starting their 3rd
Neal - 2
Splitter - 2 - I don't consider a 'young' player even though he's only had 2 year NBA

and finally
Kawhi - 1
Cory - 1

And our rookie - Nando

These guys have the experience so Blatche wouldn't be that much of a problem, but I just think his whole rep is so toxic that nobody wants to take a chance on him.
ok how many actual Spurs who are accustomed to the Spurs system who are actual veteran leaders? is Bonner going to stand up for the locker room at any point? Neal still hasn't grown accustomed besides catching the rock and shooting (the guy hasn't even learned to handle the rock to be comfortable here). same with Diaw, is Diaw going to be a locker room veteran leader in his half a season with San Antonio? you don't get team veterans in that few of seasons with the team, unless you thought Finley was a locker room veteran when he came in 2006 in his first year (he wasn't even a leader his whole tenure here even when he was an NBA veteran, not a Spurs team veteran). it's a long shot trying to make an actual argument for leaders besides the Big 3 and Jackson, especially with a coach that pushes them like if they're the last scrub on the bench.

the only guy who came in as a leader the 2nd year has to be Robert Horry during the championship run. that's extremely rare as they come and no one on this team comes close to him.
Old 08-30-12, 04:48 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I would feel better having a 3rd year big man start next to Duncan, than a low risk high reward guy. I like Blatche and am pushing to bring him in, but mostly because it makes me feel less guilty starting Splitter.

Conversely , Blatche and Diaw off the bench with Mills, Neal and Leonard give the Spurs a pretty potent Bench to expand leads or score in bunches. I think Blatche makes a good team better, and if we get him for camp and he turns it around, I think we beat the Thunder.
Old 08-30-12, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I would feel better having a 3rd year big man start next to Duncan, than a low risk high reward guy. I like Blatche and am pushing to bring him in, but mostly because it makes me feel less guilty starting Splitter.

Conversely , Blatche and Diaw off the bench with Mills, Neal and Leonard give the Spurs a pretty potent Bench to expand leads or score in bunches. I think Blatche makes a good team better, and if we get him for camp and he turns it around, I think we beat the Thunder.
i'll agree with you whole heartedly on Splitter starting. my reasoning though is different. Splitter is tall and our best overall (i'm only saying this because Duncan is on his last legs and couldn't even rotate in the playoffs to save his life) defensive big. Diaw is more valuable on the offensive end and if he came off the bench with Ginobili, Jackson, Blatche, and whoever else he'll take the burden off of those guys to score and move around unlike Tiago (who needs someone to help him create).
Old 08-30-12, 05:03 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

I think Blacthe's attitude issue wouldn't affect the spurs too much. The second he steps out of line, he's cut. The spurs are back in the same spot they were when the season ended last year, and they have to find someone to add to the roster.

If Blatche comes in and provides solid minutes off the bench , he allows other options to develop on the roster.

Best case scenario, Blatche can be a 10/10 guy and start and give the spurs a solid young big man to run the floor and shore up the defense.
Old 08-30-12, 05:21 PM
The Eternal Optimist

If he gets to come here, it will be with understanding he he let's TD, Manu, and Jack mold him. They, more than anything, or anyone, would be charged with riding herd on him. Once they have done their due diligence, the front office will pull the trigger.
Old 08-30-12, 06:07 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by esparzar1 View Post
What does Splitter bring to the starting line-up that Blatche doesn't? Plus I actually love Splitter coming off the bench with Manu. They run the pick'n'roll excellent together. Not a big fan of Splitter starting in any scenario...just my 2 cents!
A brain and a willingness to put the team first and do whatever to win not get stats..... thats to start.

If we have noone else to spend the vet min on and party boy realises that he may ride the pine a large part of the season where his biggest stats are towel waves per basket.... then I can see that people are saying have him as big man insurance.

But I just can't see him being happy to fit into a system where he has a role and a diminished one at that, so even if he comes here I can't see it working out and I can see him turning into a sooking mess like when he didn't get his triple double.

That all said I would love to see him come here prove me totally wrong and just click in and get it cause as has been said he has the raw tools and could be huge for us.
Old 08-30-12, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
If he gets to come here, it will be with understanding he he let's TD, Manu, and Jack mold him. They, more than anything, or anyone, would be charged with riding herd on him. Once they have done their due diligence, the front office will pull the trigger.
+1 OT! that's going to be a major part of it. the Big 3 and Jackson already have their hands full molding the rest of the team (along with the coach of course). a lot of them have needed 2 years to get into the groove and improve, that's a lot to add with a guy who's been known to be in business for himself. at this point where we have a relatively young team and really old veteran legs, i wouldn't blame Duncan or Ginobili if they didn't want to take the extra duties when they have to worry about themselves and their bodies and basketball game.
Old 08-30-12, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
Once they have done their due diligence, the front office will pull the trigger.
Maybe they have done their due diligence and that's why they haven't pulled the trigger. Blatche needs to learn how to be a team player, hope he has his passport in order, I hear Europe is a nice place to spend a few months....
Old 08-30-12, 07:35 PM
The Eternal Optimist

I guess I was very vague, or presumptive. The notion I had floating around regarding the team herding/moldings him was merged with his willingness to check his who, learn, and be led as well as some the older guys seeing/feeling the need for his services.

Something I have toyed with in this process is Kwai's success in his first year. Admittedly he is a wing player, not big. When all is said and done, one would have to think if he does not, he was not ready to "grow up" yet. I usually shy away from potential head cases, but for all his problems this guy seems like he could actually fit here.
Old 08-30-12, 09:17 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

As much as I think Signing Blatche maybe a good idea, going by RC's earlier statement this summer (The Spurs having the bigs they are going to have this season)we may just need to shuffle the line up. I'd still be up for starting Splitter and bringing Bonner and Diaw off the bench. I don't think Blair stays on the team through the season.

Not only starting Splitter, but finishing games With Duncan and Splitter protecting the rim and tightening up our defense (which wasn't bad last year).
Old 08-30-12, 09:31 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I say bring the guy on this team. He has more talent than anybody outside our top six guys. Maybe he would even be in the top four. If he stays a flake, no big risk and we dump him. If he plays up to his talent level, then we have a dynamic big man who at least makes us competitive with the other big dogs in the league.
Old 08-30-12, 11:11 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

I'll take Blatche over Bonner any day.
Old 08-31-12, 10:21 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

havent signed yet??? CMON!!! if I lived in SA, i was putting a giant sign in front of the spurs offices "HEY RC, SIGN BLATCHE" lolol
Old 08-31-12, 01:02 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

If they took a chance on Diaw who was cut by the worst team in the league for the same reasons his attitude, conditioning and work ethic why shouldn't they take a chance on Blatche. He's young, big and still has a high ceiling. If it worked out with Diaw why not with Blatche?
Old 08-31-12, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Jackson has no issues with Pop or Duncan, in fact they WANTED him back after all those years he left. you're talking about a new guy coming into a new team to a relatively young (overall in age and chemistry) team. if Blatche was such a shoe in (especially with him practically begging to be signed), the Spurs would've done it. don't make it sound easier than it does, he's a headcase and we have guys who are new or young Spurs who might get derailed (Green & Leonard for 2 main pieces) because of attitude problems and the fact we don't have consistent reliable bigs (especially with Duncan's knees and age) to be signing anyone because they're available.

also, Duncan isn't Garnett. he's not a guy who'll get in your face if you cause trouble, he's the quiet leader. that may not work nowadays because he's not the best player on the court like he used to be, but he still gets treated as the best because he's our cornerstone. not taking anything away from Duncan's leadership, but we have had some "cancers" on the team who requested to leave and caused some drama (Mason wanted to leave because of playing time, same with Finley) at the end of the bench....that was with a FULL RELIABLE team, we don't have that right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley33177 View Post
If they took a chance on Diaw who was cut by the worst team in the league for the same reasons his attitude, conditioning and work ethic why shouldn't they take a chance on Blatche. He's young, big and still has a high ceiling. If it worked out with Diaw why not with Blatche?
disagree with Diaw. he's always been a good soldier and a good teammate, he's just came in fat every year which took from his versatility of being a SF. even if Diaw's attitude was a problem, he'd come in here with his best friend in Tony Parker and now De Colo, so he has some people close to him to keep him in check.
Old 08-31-12, 03:06 PM

Jose, I see your point. However, we are talking about a guy who would be number 15 on the roster. If we don't like how he is behaving, we just cut him. And of story. This is a low risk maneuver. And there is just no way with the quality of young players that we have, one idiot could derail them.

Also, think about this: if they sign him now, then they can tell him okay, get your rear to San Antonio, and start working out with Tim Duncan. Get your mind in shape along with your body. That is what I would do if I were in their shoes.
Old 09-01-12, 06:55 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Only reason the Spurs haven't signed him is that the Spurs may not be ready. I see a move or two coming in the first part osf the season that may involve the departure of Blair and/or the addition of Ryan Richards. Richards' objectives with the Toros, however, are clear... BULK UP in the Gym and prepare as best you can to becoming a true contributing member of the Spurs in San Antonio.

Blat he could help us, but our need is more geared for a big DEFENSIVE and REBOUNDING type Center than it is for a scorer. Without that type of defensive center the Lakers, primarily, are going to kill us.
Old 09-01-12, 12:27 PM

One thing that he adds is he can space the floor, unlike splitter or Blair. That would help us out, even if his shotblocking is not fantastic. I do think you are right though, that there is probably some other move that is expected by the Spurs. They keep saying they are going to bring Blair into this season on the roster and that he will be a part of what this team is doing, but that makes zero sense given that he started all last year and then dropped off the face of the earth in the playoffs.
Old 09-01-12, 02:36 PM

I still say, he's NOT coming to the Spurs. He's been working out in Houston now for awhile and frankly IMHO the FO of the Spurs is good enough that if they really wanted him, they would have taken the steps needed to get him. And besides, every report has the Spurs working out a bunch of 6'8-6'9 players.

And now the Nets are in Houston visiting with him, he's going to end up back on the East Coast.
Old 09-01-12, 03:49 PM
So Cal Spurs Fan

Quote:
Even if the Brooklyn Nets take a flyer on Andre Blatche, they won't be offering the free agent big man a guaranteed contract, league sources told ESPN NewYork.com.
Sources -- Andray Blatche, Brooklyn Nets to meet - ESPN New York
Old 09-01-12, 04:38 PM

If Blatche gets a chance to play in NY even if the contract isn't guaranteed, he's going to take it.
Old 09-02-12, 01:52 PM
SR Team Goof

Report: Nets take look at big man Andray Blatche

Kurt Helin -- Sep 2, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT

The Brooklyn Nets are leaving no stone unturned in looking for some big man depth.

That included taking a look amnestied former Wizard center Andray Blatche, reports the New York Times.

Blatche, 26, has been working out in Houston with a number of other N.B.A. players, under the guidance of John Lucas. He was set to meet with Nets Coach Avery Johnson sometime this weekend, according to two people with knowledge of the meeting. It was not clear whether the Nets were prepared to make Blatche an immediate offer or were simply exploring their options.

I bet exploring their options.

Blatche has always been a player of unfulfilled promise. He has the athletic tools and he has had some well-played Aprils after the Wizards were eliminated from the playoffs. But sustained success has eluded him. He has the focus of a four-year old. He put up better numbers for a couple years recently (16.8 points and 8.2 rebounds a game in 2011) but he was never terribly efficient, never took control with the team. Then last year he faltered and took a step back. The Nets had moved on and amnestied him. Everyone has moved on.

He could work on a team where he just comes off the bench for 15 minutes a game and has no pressure or responsibilities. He’ll have to sign for the league minimum so it’s not a bad risk.

But don’t expect much from him. Do you think after 7 years of this Blatche is finally going to get it? He’s saying all the right things but do the Nets, with all their new pieces, want to bring his mindset into a locker room where they are trying to build some chemistry?

But someone will take a chance on Blatche before the season starts.

alh1020: Sorry Wesley, didn't see your attached link until after I posted this one.

Jerry Colangelo will continue as head of USA Basketball | ProBasketballTalk

Last edited by alh1020; 09-02-12 at 01:56 PM.