News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 08-22-12, 05:26 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Are Spurs talking to Darko?

That is one rumor, although there is nothing I can find out there except this old report and one that says he just turned down an offer from Real Madrid..

Darko Milicic's agent said his client is not looking at offers overseas and plans to play in the NBA this season.

Milicic, who was amnestied by Minnesota this summer, has been rumored to be in talks with the Heat and his agent has said that Darko is still looking at several teams, but remains without a timetable to sign. The free agent market is drying up quickly, so no matter what his agent is trying to say to pump up Darko, the clock is ticking for him to get even a veteran's minimum offer.

Milicic has been very underwhelming in his NBA career to this point and that's not going to change any time soon. Aug. 1 - 2:25 pm et
Source: Chris Tomasson on Twitter

My thoughts..

He's a legit seven footer who can help in limited minutes and plays physical D. Why not?

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/darko_...eer_stats.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-22-12, 08:30 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

I think Darko would be an upgrade over Blair. . . . . but that should mean that he would sit on the bench a lot behind Splitter.

Darko is not an upgrade over Splitter regardless of the "Splitter is a bust" thread.
Old 08-22-12, 08:53 AM
SR Team Goof

I wouldn’t mind Darko for the vets minimum, what the heck. He’s got NBA experience and back in the 2003 draft, the Pistons saw something in his game that made him better than Wade, Bosh or Anthony, at that time. So he might be a big draft bust, but the market for height and experience at his level is drying up fast. At least it might light a fire under Splitter’s can and send a signal that we now have another big who might challenge him for those minutes beside or behind Duncan. Who knows, an opportunity like this might be what Darko needs to recharge his game and live up to his draft day expectations. And at the vets minimum price tag, why not.
"I'm always amazed to hear of victims so badly mutilated that they have to be identified by their dental records. What I can't understand is, if they don't know who you are, how do they know who your dentist is?" - Paul Merton
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-22-12, 09:52 AM
The Master Baiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post
I think Darko would be an upgrade over Blair. . . . . but that should mean that he would sit on the bench a lot behind Splitter.

Darko is not an upgrade over Splitter regardless of the "Splitter is a bust" thread.
Well, true. But Darko has a mid range shot that may fit in pretty well.
Old 08-22-12, 10:35 AM
The Chosen One(Moderator)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post

See thats why I think he has a chance...I said chance...to be more valuable than Splitter.

Its amazing how touchy people are about Splitter, when he has obviously hasn't been consistent.

I'm Batman's cousin
Old 08-22-12, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppsboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uwe Blab View Post
if he has a consistent jumper and can play defense, that would actually have him jump over Blair and Bonner because he can somewhat stretch the floor with Splitter in there.

if he can consistently have a J, a Duncan/Diaw then Splitter/Darko off the bench rotation wouldn't be bad at all.
Old 08-23-12, 04:06 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

Darko is a basketball moron. I hope they are not talking to him other than to tell him to go take a long walk off a short pier. Then again, I hope they don't tell him that because he probably would. Then they would get sued. Bad news. Stay away from that guy.
Old 08-23-12, 04:50 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Get rid of Bonner please!
Old 08-23-12, 06:29 PM
SpursReport Rookie

I'd rather take Blatche than Milicic if it's all the same...his proven upside is higher.
Old 08-24-12, 03:40 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Splitter sucks. Never bought into the hype after we basically chose him over Scola. I don't care whose feathers get ruffled this guy dissappears every time we need him most.

Bring on anyone who can bang, score and not get pushed around by the Lakers' new front line.
Old 08-24-12, 08:54 AM
SpursReport Team Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpur View Post
Splitter sucks. Never bought into the hype after we basically chose him over Scola. I don't care whose feathers get ruffled this guy dissappears every time we need him most.

Bring on anyone who can bang, score and not get pushed around by the Lakers' new front line.
Well said. Because no matter who is mentioned that the Spurs are interested in, they're never good enough for this site. They get nitpicked to death. So who cares. We want size and athleticism.... But never any kind of baggage, so the heck with it, just roll with the team they got and cross your fingers. Oh yeah, add another guard like we always do!
Old 08-24-12, 10:03 AM
SpursReport 2010 And 2014 Pick The Winner Champion

I´d take Darko for vet min, but I think we have a full roster. So who goes?
Old 08-24-12, 10:36 AM

Quote:

Because guys who can bang, score, and play physical with Dwight Howard are a dime a dozen. Give me a break.
Old 08-24-12, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Because guys who can bang, score, and play physical with Dwight Howard are a dime a dozen. Give me a break.
+1

we've beaten Dwight Howard before. right now, Kobe's older, Nash is older, World Peace isn't a #1 option, and Gasol doesn't want to be that. it'd be easy to dare World Peace or Nash to beat us (especially in the playoffs) than try to get someone to go 1 on 1 with Dwight.
Old 08-24-12, 11:00 AM

Quote:

eeerrrr.....we chose Bonner over Scola, not Splitter. it actually would've been a better move to bring in Scola at the rookie scale and a buy out then Splitter after him.
Old 08-24-12, 04:58 PM
SpursReport Team Starter

Quote:

Then again, Scola's not been needed much in the playoffs.

But he often finds himself on on the best damn lottery team! Out of ALL the lottery teams, Scola's is the BEST!
Old 08-24-12, 05:04 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post

But he often finds himself on on the best damn lottery team! Out of ALL the lottery teams, Scola's is the BEST!
Did this guy snub you for an autograph request in Houston????????
Old 08-26-12, 09:05 PM
SpursReport Rookie

Darko is trash..
Old 08-26-12, 09:24 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

If they're smart they will talk to Darko! He is a poor man's Rasho Nesterovic.
Radoslav "Rašo" Nesterović (Serbian Cyrillic: Радослав »Рашо« Нестеровић, Slovene: Radoslav »Rašo« Nesterovič), usually referred to in English as Rasho Nesterovic
San Antonio Spurs
In his first season with San Antonio, he scored 8.7 points per game and grabbed 7.7 rebounds per game. In his second season with the Spurs, 2004–05, he suffered an ankle injury, and was limited to 70 games. Nevertheless, he remained the starting center for the majority of the season, and, along with his colleague from the Slovenian national basketball team, Beno Udrih, he ultimately won an NBA title with the Spurs that year.
Old 08-26-12, 10:32 PM
Official Whorry Hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyspursfan View Post

Old 08-27-12, 09:39 AM

Yikes. I can't believe that "poor man's rasho "is considered a selling point. And for those who think that Darko would be an upgrade over Blair, take a look at there stats and efficiency numbers. Darco is well below mediocre. Blair is an average to above-average player, albeit with significant defenses deficiencies. But Darco is not the answer to any basketball problem the spurs have.
Old 08-27-12, 11:24 AM
SpursReport Team Starter

That may be true Griz, but if Blair is in Pop's dog house and sitting on the bench, then he's definitely not a 'better player" to any standard and he's not helping us win.
Old 08-27-12, 04:11 PM
SR 2009 and 2011 Pick The Winner Champion

Based on how he's performed so far in his career, if he's signed by the Spurs, I can't see him every getting off the bench.

Real Madrid announced today that they don't want him (now I don't read Spanish, but I think it says something like 'Are you kidding me??? This guy stinks!!!!"

El Real Madrid no quiere a Darko Milicic. - tu|Basket
Old 08-27-12, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly_bexar View Post
Yikes. I can't believe that "poor man's rasho "is considered a selling point. And for those who think that Darko would be an upgrade over Blair, take a look at there stats and efficiency numbers. Darco is well below mediocre. Blair is an average to above-average player, albeit with significant defenses deficiencies. But Darco is not the answer to any basketball problem the spurs have.
i agree Grizz. i think what a lot of people miss (i've posted about it, i've seen some of your posts, Chopps also, and others) the fact that it's an idiotic idea to get someone who's better than Blair because we're trading the last big on the rotation for someone who's gonna be in the same situation. we need someone who's better than Splitter to make an impact (that would bump Splitter down to 4th). anything else (to replace Bonner or Blair) would be meaningless because those 15mpg wouldn't improve us like the player we realistically need in the 3rd option.