News Radio WOAI KTKR AM Sports
SpursReport.com
Old 07-31-12, 10:02 AM
SpursReport Team Veteran

Teams talking to Tolliver

There is word that the Spurs are talking to Anthony Tolliver, a player they once had on their roster briefly back in 2008.

Speaking to the media the NBA free agent said recently..

“There are several teams that have shown interest and I’m weighing options. I’m taking my time and making sure my decision is a good one.”

Old link:

Http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/spurs_...er_080723.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-12, 10:37 AM
SR Team Goof

I liked Tolliver when we had him. He hustled and banged the boards in the time he was given on the floor. He plays bigger than the 6’8” he’s listed as. The Spurs know what he can do for them and obviously like him or they wouldn’t be talking to him.
Old 07-31-12, 11:59 AM
The Master Baiter

Where does it say that the Spurs are interested?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-12, 01:07 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

It doesn't save the spurs are interested. I think what he is saying is that he is personally aware of some rumblings that the Spurs are after him, and that his agent has indicated he is being courted by several teams, unnamed.
Old 07-31-12, 01:43 PM

Anthony Tolliver: no defense, can't really rebound unless it's an easy one, and chucks 3's up

dare i say Bonner is better than him?
Old 07-31-12, 08:05 PM
SpursReport Team Bench

Go Bonner!!
Old 07-31-12, 08:13 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Funny I mention Anthony Tolliver as a low cost Bonner replacement and got blasted for it on here. But the article does not state the Spurs' interest though. So remains to be seen.
Old 07-31-12, 09:21 PM
Carne de res ipsa loquitur

I don't doubt they're talking to him, but looking at things I just don't see a fit.

One, he's looking for a place where he can get solid PT so he can impress for his hopefully next, long term contract. He won't get that here-- he'll easily be behind TD, Splitter, and Diaw. If not Blair and Bonner.

Two, he made $2mil last year. Spurs can't afford to pay that much. He'd have to take a serious pay cut.

Surely there's some other team out there that can give him more of both.

And even as a player, he's just not that good. Shot 25% from 3 last year. Per 48 min rebounding rate comparable to Bonner (off the top of my head). Not a really bad player. But not a guy who would displace any of our current bigs.

Not to mention he's not really even a big man at 6'8".
Old 07-31-12, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLTHETHRILL View Post
Funny I mention Anthony Tolliver as a low cost Bonner replacement and got blasted for it on here. But the article does not state the Spurs' interest though. So remains to be seen.

he's just not good at all. whoever would want him as 3-4 big on this team with 15+mpg needs to check these stats again.

as one dimensional as Bonner is, he outplays this guy.
Old 07-31-12, 10:23 PM
Herman Cain of the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_TheGenius View Post

he's just not good at all. whoever would want him as 3-4 big on this team with 15+mpg needs to check these stats again.

as one dimensional as Bonner is, he outplays this guy.
My view plus more

I didn't say he was so good first off. I think a lot of players had an off year in general because of the lockout. So I give him and others a mulligan for last year. Did you see his other recent production before last season? Not bad for a guy who started basically as a D-League dude. For the vet minimum.........I'd rather have him over Bonner anyday. Bonner needs to go plain and simple. I don't like the stretch four concept BUT since the Spurs intend to keep it even after Horry left......might as well cut some payroll. I don't want Bonner or any other stretch four to be honest. Bonner, I forecast to stay for now. Unless they trade TP or Manu......it's hard to move him. There is a team buyout option on the last year which is the 13'-14' season. Which will be the best case in my view to move him. I think cutting payroll could open doors in the future. Being over the cap and tickling the luxury tax line every year limits their options to make a major move. Also to note without signing a top tier free agent since 2000........the under the cap/trade route might be the only way to move forward. Also any Kawhi type trade relating to the draft would help too. Getting the LeBron/Dwight Howard big fish free agent seems to not work around here. Maybe Pop needs to hire Pat Riley to close the deal for the Spurs.....lol